25% Off Black Friday Sale

Bench Press?

Thread: Bench Press?

VP of LIFE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Question Bench Press?

Hey Everyone,
    Been lifting on and off for years, most recently hitting it very hard, but doing it smart. I am 6'-2" 230lbs, 43 yrs young, and have gotten my bench back up to about 335lbs. One of the power lifters at my gym who I talk to quit a bit suggested I change up my hand position on the bar? He is telling me that my hands are to close together formy size and frame (pretty braud). I am leening towards his advice because my lifts will just give out when I am repping out or lifting very heavy. That is what my tri's usually do...Lets hear it>>>>>
    ?This message was sent using true power!!!

Rep Points

Powerlifting grips are very wide.

The wider the grip, the smaller the ROM, the more weight you can move.

Warrior

VP of LIFE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thanks Warriorblaze,

Will it take some time for me to develop into the wider grip. I assume I will be involving my shoulders a little more?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by sneedham View Post
    Thanks Warriorblaze,

Will it take some time for me to develop into the wider grip. I assume I will be involving my shoulders a little more?
    Yeah, it hits the shoulders and chest more than the tris. Keep your elbows tucked too. A slingshot or mini bands help with this.

Warrior

Rep Points

when I bench or compete I put my ring finger on the bar lines (texas powerbar) but most good bars have same line location. im 6' and 230 ive found this to be the best position for me and like above post says keep elbows in, feet in stable tight position, bury your traps into bench and keep your lats tight.

VP of LIFE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thanks for the replies......

Registered Abuser
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Shoulder width grip for me and don't lock out at the top, I noticed locking out at the top worked more tricep. I'm not a fan of wide grip, too much shoulder involved especially on flat bench it literally becomes a shoulder workout for me.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by sneedham View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Been lifting on and off for years, most recently hitting it very hard, but doing it smart. I am 6'-2" 230lbs, 43 yrs young, and have gotten my bench back up to about 335lbs. One of the power lifters at my gym who I talk to quit a bit suggested I change up my hand position on the bar? He is telling me that my hands are to close together formy size and frame (pretty braud). I am leening towards his advice because my lifts will just give out when I am repping out or lifting very heavy. That is what my tri's usually do...Lets hear it>>>>>
    Im not a power lifter but I managed to get my bench into the 400s. I place my hands about 90 degree with the bar and tuck elbows in. If I have hands closer then Im working tris too far open the delts come into play.
    If you widen your hands on the bar too much you have a good chance of wrecking your delts/shoulders. I almost did it myself but common sense prevailed very quickly when I started to have chronic shoulder problems. Since, my shoulders have been fine with the more narrow grip (90deg) about

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

A wider grip will ultimately make you stronger on your bench press but like all the other guys said focus on keeping elbows tucked to protect your shoulders. I personally go with what I feel like is a medium grip and keep my elbows tucked but not too much. But then again I'm all about body building, power lifting is unneeded stress on the body unless you compete IMO.
    H: 6'1 W: 225 10%bf

Rep Points

A lot of good advice. Never hurts to switch things around a bit and try something different. As a powerlifter, I've seen exceptions to every rule over the years. Mostly it comes down to what works best for you. I do agree that a smaller ROM generally results in a bigger total, unless there is an injury involved. You'll find your personal sweet spot. Good luck to you.

Rep Points

I've always felt weird if my bench grip was too wide, to the point where I'd lift less than if my grip was just right, despite of the benefit of having less ROM during the wider grip.