• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Protein powder as main protein source? Yes or know and why?

IML Gear Cream!
nothing beats lean food man...whey only holds hunger off for a short period of time compared to real food. i would be drinking at least ten shakes a day just not to starve

nothing beats lean food man...whey only holds hunger off for a short period of time compared to real food. i would be drinking at least ten shakes a day just not to starve

How often you eat triggers that response. You can eat whey or chicken or whatever. If you get used to eating every 2-3 hrs you will feel hungry that often. The food has little to do with that. Ghrelin and leptin levels control hunger response and they are to some extent triggered by what you eat but mostly how much and how often you eat. So whey isn't any less of a viable source of protein than whole foods. Its a complete protein source. The only thing with whey is to be wary of the company doing the processing. Some are far superior to others.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

There's a whole lot of nutrition you'll miss out on by dropping out meat.

There's a whole lot of nutrition you'll miss out on by dropping out meat.

I'll second this. There's a lot more to nutrition than macros and nutrients.

80% of my protein is from powders. NOTHING wrong with that vs whole food IF YOU HAVE A GOOD DIET WITH YOUR WHOLE FOODS! shitty diet is a shitty diet with or without protein powder is a shitty diet is a shitty diet.

I eat my 4-5 meals a day, couple snacks AND my 3-4 70g protein drinks

I'll second this. There's a lot more to nutrition than macros and nutrients.

and there is alot more to it then meat.... no need for meat. sure its harder, but Its right for me.

80% of my protein is from powders. NOTHING wrong with that vs whole food IF YOU HAVE A GOOD DIET WITH YOUR WHOLE FOODS! shitty diet is a shitty diet with or without protein powder is a shitty diet is a shitty diet.

I eat my 4-5 meals a day, couple snacks AND my 3-4 70g protein drinks

All that protein powder has artificial sweeteners etc? That would be concerning to me

and there is alot more to it then meat.... no need for meat. sure its harder, but Its right for me.

True, if you're willing to do supplements to replace the stuff that just naturally comes in meat. Plus, meat is tastier than supplements or the plants that you have to eat to cover for it's absence.

IML Gear Cream!
I used to do 4 to 5 whey shakes a day with 3 whole food meals. Now I do 1 or 2 shakes and 5 whole food meals. Not only do I feel better but I make consistent gains.

So to answer your question no, whole foods for the win is my opinion.

If you are worried about health concerns, just eat leans cuts of meats. Me, I prefer turkey over chicken. Lean steak over ground beef and eat fish at least twice a week.

Good luck with that. See you in 10 years...or maybe we won't. I have yet to meet an old vegan that wasn't riddled with mysterious diseases or looked like crap.

I'm thinking about giving up red meat and chicken for a while and going straight to powders only for my protein intake say 250 grams a day. I would like to try a vegan diet for a while to clean out my system and i was just curious if getting all of my muscle building protein needs from powders throughout the day would be as beneficial or close to as beneficial as eating chicken and meat. I'm also a bit concerned about my arteries and heart health because I keep reading things about how red meat clogs your arteries. I'm a veteran lifter but I always been a novice eater. I'm trying to take my nutrition to the next level, of course I've been trying to do this for many years and I find it when I try to do something I never accomplish it so I think I'm going to take Nike's slogan and just do it! All opinions and advice are welcome and respected and as always I thank you all for your time.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I prefer to get my calories/macros from real food as much as possible, but that said, a couple summers ago I was ridiculously busy with work and life in general and found myself virtually living off shakes. Although I'm sure I was lacking nutritionally (unhealthy carb sources, lack of veggies, etc.), my body composition actually noticeably benefited from it.

Now that said, if you wish to follow a vegan diet, there are very few protein powders you can consume. Whey is out, as is casein. Rice protein is probably your best bet on the vegan menu. A vegetarian diet would give you a lot more options.

Good luck with that. See you in 10 years...or maybe we won't. I have yet to meet an old vegan that wasn't riddled with mysterious diseases or looked like crap.

There's an entire vegan bodybuilding segment and those guys are probably healthier than all of us. I know quite a few vegans - both young and old - as I do a lot of volunteer work in animal rescue, which is an area that tends to produce more vegans than the general population. Anyway, some are in incredibly good health for their age and some are not. Vegans have to make a much more conscious effort to get sufficient protein, aminos, etc. and unfortunately, many don't. Those who do, however - like the vegan bodybuilders - are typically in great shape/health.

I'm gathering you want to drop weight / bodyfat in an accelerated manner, however you're talking about two things - keeping a high protein intake while trying to go vegan. The vegan thing is a hyuge change in your lifestyle, and IMO a very hard one to make if you don't already have some experience w/ that change. The vegans I know tend to be skinnyfat and the one guy I know who tries to stay vegan for his wife (he's Indian) but also trains, ends up consuming shit tons of soy-based protein. When he does that I see him start to get bloating and soft.

I agree w/ the others in that your best source of protein is solid, real food. If you want to maintain muscle mass but drop some significant bodyfat, IMO you should really be looking at optimizing your diet / training / cardio routine. Extreme changes in diet tend to be effing miserable to your daily existence if you can't adopt them into your "lifestyle", and the end result is just a big fat rebound and more frustration in trying to reach your goal. This tends to lead to more desperate measures to get there and sort of a backward spiral in the wrong direction. Slow, stead, optimized. That works. Clean food, Real food. Optimized diet / training / cardio. Steady, small incremental changes. Consistency.

Protein powder is not a good replacement for your main source of protein for all of the above mentioned reasons. And the actual ability to do it .... if you've ever tried the "Fat Fast" - basically protein drinks w/ peanut butter as the fat source -- I tried this several years ago, and I made it about 4 days before the smell of peanut butter would make me heave. Like I said, extreme diets just don't work because they are not maintainable.

I used to do 4 to 5 whey shakes a day with 3 whole food meals. Now I do 1 or 2 shakes and 5 whole food meals. Not only do I feel better but I make consistent gains.

So to answer your question no, whole foods for the win is my opinion.

If you are worried about health concerns, just eat leans cuts of meats. Me, I prefer turkey over chicken. Lean steak over ground beef and eat fish at least twice a week.

Agreed completely! And the only time I have a shake is pre-workout 1/day. The rest is all food.

studies show whey is more bioavailable....and builds more muscle and aids in fat loss...whole foods are not superior...that is bro science
Did the study look at how much they make you fart?

Whey protein gives me lots of bad, smelly gas. I do not drink it every day, so it is very easy to tell what causes it.

80% of my protein is from protein drinks. there is no issue with that. but eat alot of whole foods. and try to have protein drinks WITH food most the time and i rec adding a coupel shots of olive oil to your protein drinks.
I have not eatin meat in over 8 years, so it is possible. though this year i screwed up my gains big time due ot stress/ not optimal diet. but hey, next fall is another bulker cycle, now i guess i just cut up for spring now ;- ) still bigger than most in the gym so i dont give a F :- P

True, if you're willing to do supplements to replace the stuff that just naturally comes in meat. Plus, meat is tastier than supplements or the plants that you have to eat to cover for it's absence.

extra b12 is about it. but i still take a multi and some creatine daily. I dont think meat tastes better. not with how i cook or the veggie places i go to eat at, flavors are so amazing... Now bacon on the other hand.... That should be in a category all in its own!
GOD DAMN ONLY THING I MISS AT ALL!
when i was a bit out of shape like 14 yrs ago I would cook up a plate of bacon, then use the grease in pan for mashed potatos or toss ina can of corn and some butter... O.... M.... F... G!! LOL

but i rather look better and live longer ;- )

Did the study look at how much they make you fart?

Whey protein gives me lots of bad, smelly gas. I do not drink it every day, so it is very easy to tell what causes it.

Been there, done that. Try this, as it helps to a degree. Next time you mix up a shake, pour that shake into a new glass/cup. Why? By pouring it, you'll break up numerous air bubbles that you'd otherwise ingest. And never ever drink out of a blender. WOW! Talk about blowing the family out of the house!

80% of my protein is from protein drinks. there is no issue with that. but eat alot of whole foods. and try to have protein drinks WITH food most the time and i rec adding a coupel shots of olive oil to your protein drinks.
I have not eatin meat in over 8 years, so it is possible. though this year i screwed up my gains big time due ot stress/ not optimal diet. but hey, next fall is another bulker cycle, now i guess i just cut up for spring now ;- ) still bigger than most in the gym so i dont give a F :- P

I'm willing to bet your LDL is amazing.

IML Gear Cream!
extra b12 is about it. but i still take a multi and some creatine daily. I dont think meat tastes better. not with how i cook or the veggie places i go to eat at, flavors are so amazing... Now bacon on the other hand.... That should be in a category all in its own!
when i was a bit out of shape like 14 yrs ago I would cook up a plate of bacon, then use the grease in pan for mashed potatos or toss ina can of corn and some butter... O.... M.... F... G!! LOL

I stand by my point: there is more to whole foods -- meat or otherwise -- than just the macros or calls. We're constantly learning that many important things -- that result in long-term health issues -- get left out when we eschew whole foods -- including meats. As time goes on, we're finding out that Indians (dot, not feather) who don't eat meat are getting a lot of really bad health issues.

Ain't nothing wrong with bacon - just make sure it's organic.

Some powder for me, mostly real whole food. Lots of other stuff in it besides protein I need.

I'm thinking about giving up red meat and chicken for a while and going straight to powders only for my protein intake say 250 grams a day. I would like to try a vegan diet for a while to clean out my system and i was just curious if getting all of my muscle building protein needs from powders throughout the day would be as beneficial or close to as beneficial as eating chicken and meat. I'm also a bit concerned about my arteries and heart health because I keep reading things about how red meat clogs your arteries. I'm a veteran lifter but I always been a novice eater. I'm trying to take my nutrition to the next level, of course I've been trying to do this for many years and I find it when I try to do something I never accomplish it so I think I'm going to take Nike's slogan and just do it! All opinions and advice are welcome and respected and as always I thank you all for your time.

First let me say, that as a so-called "text book trained" dietician, some may not take my pencil pusher opinions well in reference to BB, but I can definitely answer your question about the health of your arteries.

First of all, hypertension and obesity are to blame for clogged arteries 99% of the time.

Whether you eat red meat or tofu or carrots, if you get fat (particularly if you carry visceral abdominal fat, or fat around the belly) your heart is at risk.

So, first, achieve and maintain healthful body fat percentages, and keep your blood pressure in check.

Now, if you want to keep your arteries healthy, you should be more concerned with improving your ratio of HDL (or "good cholesterol") to LDL cholesterol. So, eat olive oil, raw almonds, avocados, seeds, fatty fish, ect. ect. ect...

The next goal would be to prevent and reduce inflammation, which can damage the walls of the arteries. Avoid simple sugars and refined flours. Also, skim milk has been shown to cause inflammation.

Now, antioxidants-- Your body is always cleansing itself. Half of your body's processes are completely devoted to cleaning itself out. Guess where the necessary compounds to keep these cleansing systems working come from? Food! This is the only regard in which I would consider a vegan diet to be cleansing--it is rich in plant foods, so it contains plenty of antioxidants, fiber, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients. Now, if you took a plant rich diet and added meat, you would still get those same cleansing benefits, but you'd also get a rich source of protein with fewer calories.

The number one pitfall for vegan diets is that they are not calorie efficient--you need 600 calories worth of rice and beans to get the amount of complete protein in one 150 calorie chicken breast.

If I were vegan, I'd have a hard time sstaying lean and keeping my muscle.

Hope this helps!

You want to "clean" out your diet but want to replace that meat with powder? Sounds like a terrible idea.

The best? The one that is most convenient and allows you to get in your macro's.

Without reading through this (fuck I may have already posted) I don't like using powder for more than 1-2 meals throughout the day. More micro nutrients in meats

You want to "clean" out your diet but want to replace that meat with powder? Sounds like a terrible idea.
Agreed.
A lot of powders have fillers, garbage that I wouldn't eat.
Whey digests too fast to be a food substitute.
Whey causes an insulin spike which you don't want if you are trying to loose fat. Imagine spike after spike all day long.
Sounds like an expensive way to get your daily food.
Eggs are way cheaper.

First let me say, that as a so-called "text book trained" dietician, some may not take my pencil pusher opinions well in reference to BB, but I can definitely answer your question about the health of your arteries.

First of all, hypertension and obesity are to blame for clogged arteries 99% of the time.

Whether you eat red meat or tofu or carrots, if you get fat (particularly if you carry visceral abdominal fat, or fat around the belly) your heart is at risk.

So, first, achieve and maintain healthful body fat percentages, and keep your blood pressure in check.

Now, if you want to keep your arteries healthy, you should be more concerned with improving your ratio of HDL (or "good cholesterol") to LDL cholesterol. So, eat olive oil, raw almonds, avocados, seeds, fatty fish, ect. ect. ect...

The next goal would be to prevent and reduce inflammation, which can damage the walls of the arteries. Avoid simple sugars and refined flours. Also, skim milk has been shown to cause inflammation.

Now, antioxidants-- Your body is always cleansing itself. Half of your body's processes are completely devoted to cleaning itself out. Guess where the necessary compounds to keep these cleansing systems working come from? Food! This is the only regard in which I would consider a vegan diet to be cleansing--it is rich in plant foods, so it contains plenty of antioxidants, fiber, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients. Now, if you took a plant rich diet and added meat, you would still get those same cleansing benefits, but you'd also get a rich source of protein with fewer calories.

The number one pitfall for vegan diets is that they are not calorie efficient--you need 600 calories worth of rice and beans to get the amount of complete protein in one 150 calorie chicken breast.

If I were vegan, I'd have a hard time sstaying lean and keeping my muscle.

Hope this helps!

Nice...you got a business card or email? Love to get some personalized info from u

Eat low calorie satisfying foods. Protein shakes are not satisfying and spike insulin. It's not the right way to build a lifestyle. Just a short term fix. Plus whey protein is like $8 a lb on sale. Chicken is $2 a lb on sale. No brainer for me. Just eat more veges and fiber.

Back