Protein powder as main protein source? Yes or know and why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
  1. #1
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Protein powder as main protein source? Yes or know and why?






    I'm thinking about giving up red meat and chicken for a while and going straight to powders only for my protein intake say 250 grams a day. I would like to try a vegan diet for a while to clean out my system and i was just curious if getting all of my muscle building protein needs from powders throughout the day would be as beneficial or close to as beneficial as eating chicken and meat. I'm also a bit concerned about my arteries and heart health because I keep reading things about how red meat clogs your arteries. I'm a veteran lifter but I always been a novice eater. I'm trying to take my nutrition to the next level, of course I've been trying to do this for many years and I find it when I try to do something I never accomplish it so I think I'm going to take Nike's slogan and just do it! All opinions and advice are welcome and respected and as always I thank you all for your time.

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk


    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Registered Abuser
    BOARD REP
    rambo99's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Muscleville
    Posts
    1,710
    Rep Points
    182057083

    I don't think that's a good idea. I was consuming about 150 grams of protein powders at one point and my bowel movement went to hell. I was constipated, bloated, and had the shits all at the same time. It was terrible!! A number or factors could play into this though (type of protein, enzymes, rest of diet, other supplements, etc) so it's hard to pin-point it directly on the protein but the manufacturer themselves usually tell you not to use it as your main source of protein.

    If anything I think the protein powders will make your diet more toxic then cleaning it up. Have you considered swapping red meat for seafood for a while? What about turkey?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
    I don't think that's a good idea. I was consuming about 150 grams of protein powders at one point and my bowel movement went to hell. I was constipated, bloated, and had the shits all at the same time. It was terrible!! A number or factors could play into this though (type of protein, enzymes, rest of diet, other supplements, etc) so it's hard to pin-point it directly on the protein but the manufacturer themselves usually tell you not to use it as your main source of protein.

    If anything I think the protein powders will make your diet more toxic then cleaning it up. Have you considered swapping red meat for seafood for a while? What about turkey?
    Thanks bro

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    57
    Rep Points
    4302898

    I find I get a lot of my protein from shakes because my job has me running around like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest most of the time. I still like to mix it up and eat eggs (I prefer eggs from chickens fed flax seeds for the omegas) with Ezekiel bread in the morning along with some oatmeal. I also love Chik-Fil-A too much to stop eating chicken and steak is almost a religion tome.

    I don't like the vegan idea at all because it is an extreme lifestyle if followed as intended (no animal products at all) and the vegans I know piss me off sometimes because 1-they ram itdown your throat 2-tell you what a pos you are for eating decaying carcasses 3-Most of them look like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons. Plus Whey is an animal by-product so no whey for a true vegan.

    I realize this is a huge over generalization and some 300 # monster vegan power lifter is going to prove me wrong but I can only go by what I see.
    I think if it's for health reasons and you do things in moderation you'll have a lot more options and will get all the micronutrients you might not get with just whey protein. I think you'remaking an assumption that your health is being affected by meat butis it reflected in anything? Like your blood work or something like that?
    There are a lot of nutritionists that specialize in working with lifters. The one I used taught me more about what I was doing to sabotage myself then any forum or web page could. It was not expensive and I noticed a huge difference in how I felt and performed.

    This is just my .02.

  5. #5
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    64
    Rep Points
    -643226

    are u concerned about your arteries?man, do a blood test and see your colesterol levels.u can drop your red meat intake,add some fish,turkey,lean pork.
    don't know if a vegan diet is really cleaning

  6. #6
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by Daimonos View Post
    are u concerned about your arteries?man, do a blood test and see your colesterol levels.u can drop your red meat intake,add some fish,turkey,lean pork.
    don't know if a vegan diet is really cleaning
    Good points dudes

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Uncle Z Representative
    BOARD REP
    heavylifting1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    793
    Rep Points
    21774091

    If you are going to use only whey look into what meat has to offer (besides calories) that whey can't and supplement yourself with that. I have never done that I eat whole food protein at every single meal including my first meal of the day along with a whey shake. Its just been like that and always has.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    13bret's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    america
    Posts
    398
    Rep Points
    35584713

    I fucking eat vegans. They taste real good because of the wholesome diet.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by heavylifting1 View Post
    If you are going to use only whey look into what meat has to offer (besides calories) that whey can't and supplement yourself with that. I have never done that I eat whole food protein at every single meal including my first meal of the day along with a whey shake. Its just been like that and always has.
    Trying to cut from 330 lbs...

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by 13bret View Post
    I fucking eat vegans. They taste real good because of the wholesome diet.
    Awesome...just thought it could be a way to cut

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    64
    Rep Points
    -643226

    protein powders are not healtier,if u think...whey was a a waste,many years ago.it's processed food.
    I'm the last person to suggest u how to cut,but maybe u can eat lean protein,as I say fish,turkey,etc,a lot of veggies,I love raw veggies.
    and seems my body prefers real food and not powders.of course I use em when I'm at work,but if I can I eat real stuff
    and go get a blood test!!!

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Oahu Hawaii
    Posts
    67
    Rep Points
    2709824

    To help cut and get in all the raw veggies imaginable buy a Neutra bullet the thing is amazing you can seriously liquefy all the vegetables you could ever imagine trying to eat and just drink them down so easily my favorite combination is about 60% spinach and Kayle and then 40% flaxseed meal pineapple grapefruit sometimes and asparagus and lots of berries like BlackBerries blueberries strawberries the shakes are amazing and it makes it very easy to consume 8 to 10 servings of fresh raw vegetables and fruit a day. Where is my favorite ways to get my protein is the turkey burgers you can buy at Cosco extremely cheap almost no fat at all and a time of good lean protein


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Registered User
    13bret's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    america
    Posts
    398
    Rep Points
    35584713

    Quote Originally Posted by Ainanalu View Post
    To help cut and get in all the raw veggies imaginable buy a Neutra bullet the thing is amazing you can seriously liquefy all the vegetables you could ever imagine trying to eat and just drink them down so easily my favorite combination is about 60% spinach and Kayle and then 40% flaxseed meal pineapple grapefruit sometimes and asparagus and lots of berries like BlackBerries blueberries strawberries the shakes are amazing and it makes it very easy to consume 8 to 10 servings of fresh raw vegetables and fruit a day. Where is my favorite ways to get my protein is the turkey burgers you can buy at Cosco extremely cheap almost no fat at all and a time of good lean protein


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This^^^^^
    When imake a shake in my juicer i use egg whites, cottage cheese, and then bunch fruits and veggies, oatmeal. Fills me up
    I second the turkey burger thing too from costco like 35g lean protein.
    Eggs, fish, chicken breast, turkey burgers, greek yogart, cottage cheese are all healthy whole food proteins. Bake or grill meats w/no sauces.
    And load up on cardio

  14. #14
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by Daimonos View Post
    protein powders are not healtier,if u think...whey was a a waste,many years ago.it's processed food.
    I'm the last person to suggest u how to cut,but maybe u can eat lean protein,as I say fish,turkey,etc,a lot of veggies,I love raw veggies.
    and seems my body prefers real food and not powders.of course I use em when I'm at work,but if I can I eat real stuff
    and go get a blood test!!!
    What type of blood work should I request? Usually get total test and cholesterol w estro etc...

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by Ainanalu View Post
    To help cut and get in all the raw veggies imaginable buy a Neutra bullet the thing is amazing you can seriously liquefy all the vegetables you could ever imagine trying to eat and just drink them down so easily my favorite combination is about 60% spinach and Kayle and then 40% flaxseed meal pineapple grapefruit sometimes and asparagus and lots of berries like BlackBerries blueberries strawberries the shakes are amazing and it makes it very easy to consume 8 to 10 servings of fresh raw vegetables and fruit a day. Where is my favorite ways to get my protein is the turkey burgers you can buy at Cosco extremely cheap almost no fat at all and a time of good lean protein


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks bro dawgs

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Registered User
    exerciseordie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    921
    Rep Points
    46466714

    Whole foods if possible. Takes more for your body to break down, more micro nutrients, more filling, and although no scientific data to back this up....I think you get better results when you limit shakes. Just my .02. I use shakes post workout only
    Check out Evolution Peptides for some great deals and amazing quality!!!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by exerciseordie View Post
    Whole foods if possible. Takes more for your body to break down, more micro nutrients, more filling, and although no scientific data to back this up....I think you get better results when you limit shakes. Just my .02. I use shakes post workout only
    Thank you brotha

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Registered Abuser
    BOARD REP
    rambo99's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Muscleville
    Posts
    1,710
    Rep Points
    182057083

    I agree with exerciseordie, I only use shakes postworkout now. I feel overall better eating lean proteins. The bloat and shitty feel from the shakes made me feel like crap and screwed with my workouts honestly.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    My problem is that Im 330 and keeping up with all those grams in meat is A LOT... LOL

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Registered User
    WesleyInman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    29
    Rep Points
    12336888

    I'd agree to whole, non processed foods personally over Protein powder any day...for me at least.

    I have a friend who is an older guy, a long time doctor, and he hates protein powder, high protein diets, meat and milk. In his experiences he feels that these diets and milk in general cause enormous issues to the body.

    Funny, when talking to him, he has some legit points, and his experiences speak volumes. Nonetheless I find myself ignoring his advice and eating Steak and A1 sauce daily..and growing more muscular and leaner when I maintain. (not sure it is great for the body long term though)

  21. #21
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    559
    Rep Points
    4119922

    half whole foods and half shakes brotha! gl and keep up the goodwork on cutting man!

  22. #22
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaStrength50 View Post
    half whole foods and half shakes brotha! gl and keep up the goodwork on cutting man!
    Thanks braddah

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    57
    Rep Points
    4302898

    Quote Originally Posted by caedus View Post
    My problem is that Im 330 and keeping up with all those grams in meat is A LOT... LOL

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    I use ground beef. I cook it and drain it to get some of the fat off of it and use seasoning and sometimes some cheese for flavor. I prefer steak but that gets expensive.

  24. #24
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    23
    Rep Points
    10

    Whole foods are key

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Registered User
    caedus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    17372446

    Quote Originally Posted by windycityamateur View Post
    Whole foods are key

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Super expensive. Lol

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    BOARD REP
    HeyMrWaters's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Merica
    Posts
    565
    Rep Points
    51479244

    I personally go 4 whole food meals and 2 shakes timed around my workouts.

    This is an interesting video on the subject:
    Divine Nutrition 40% Off Coupon Code = HeyMrWaters

    http://www.divinenutritionproducts.c...ate.php?id=102
    ^use my link when ordering

  27. #27
    Registered Abuser
    BOARD REP
    rambo99's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Muscleville
    Posts
    1,710
    Rep Points
    182057083

    While there is some truth to what Jerry says in his videos, he takes it to the extreme and he has an agenda so I would take what he says with a grain of salt. He usually doesn't give the full story, it's been proven time and time again that food is the key. How many big ass dudes do you know that got like that from protein shake only diets? All the guys on know that don't eat correctly and rely on shakes look like shit.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    BOARD REP
    HeyMrWaters's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Merica
    Posts
    565
    Rep Points
    51479244

    Oh I have my own beliefs, I wasn't saying "this is the truth listen to this."

    I think to form the best informed decisions one must take into consideration everyone's opinion on any matter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Divine Nutrition 40% Off Coupon Code = HeyMrWaters

    http://www.divinenutritionproducts.c...ate.php?id=102
    ^use my link when ordering

  29. #29
    Registered Abuser
    BOARD REP
    rambo99's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Muscleville
    Posts
    1,710
    Rep Points
    182057083

    Wasn't talking directly to you, I was more responding to the video in general.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    ALPHA MALE
    MODERATOR
    KILLEROFSAINTS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    azzas wife looks like shit
    Posts
    18,014
    Rep Points
    1848896489






    studies show whey is more bioavailable....and builds more muscle and aids in fat loss...whole foods are not superior...that is bro science
    ...PASSION IS MY FUCKING PASSION

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
  2. Milk Powder vs. Whey Protein Powder
    By Spud in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 08:39 AM
  3. Weight gain powder or a protein powder?
    By legendz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 06:17 PM
  4. The BEST source of protein
    By Toughenuff in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 09:36 AM
  5. Protein Source?
    By Freeman in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 10:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->