• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Rest between sets

Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I read a couple articles recently, regarding rest periods between sets and the desired effect or goal of the different time periods. They basically laid it out like so:

1. 30-60 seconds rest beween sets, for muscular endurance.

2. 60-120 seconds rest, for hypertrophy.

3. 3-5 minutes rest, for pure strength/power.

In the spirit of this, I am currently using 3 minute rest periods between my squat sets, to promote pure strength in this particular lift for the time being, and 2 minute rest periods between all other exercise sets, because that time period would seem to be the bridge between hypertrophy and pure strength.

What does everybody say on this? Anything to it? Or am I just following another fad?

I've heard different BBers say different things. Some guys are hyper and don't like to hang and wait. Some have good cardio and trained for many years and like to get it done. Others spend time, a lot of time in the gym. From pubmed;
[h=4][/h][h=4]AIM:[/h][h=4]Between-set rest intervals (RI) may be determined using exercise-recovery-ratio (ERR) or fixed periods. The study investigated the influence of different ERR and fixed RI on the training volume in sessions aiming for hypertrophy with upper-body exercises recruiting different muscle mass (bench press-BP and triceps extension-TE).
CONCLUSION:[/h]Determining between-set RI based on ERR instead of using fixed intervals does not enable more work to be done in multiple-set/high intensity resistance training sessions.

Based on certain old timers from the Gold Era, 30 to 40 seconds is optimum for mass. I remember reading this in Vince Gironda's Wild Physique book.

I'm bouncing around... i have cardio endurance I'll do superset own the the flip muscle or do some abs or calves or something

I'm bouncing around... i have cardio endurance I'll do superset own the the flip muscle or do some abs or calves or something

I agree with this. Smash em hard when it feels good and slow when it feels good. I like training to be enjoyable, not a job.

yep yup..then there are some days i take 3 min breaks between sets lol..if i am draggin from work or something ha

everything revolves around calories, hydration and if you're rested

There's more than one answer but more times than not...
Legs tend to be longer rests
Biceps and triceps are short
Chest and back can be somewhere in the middle

excluding supersets and drop sets

1. heavy lifts like squat, bench, deads, military press', barbell rows, shrugs and leg press i usually rest 1-2 mins
2. moderate lifts i rest like 1 minute
3. arms and lighter stuff i hardly rest at all maybe 30 secs

it depends on the person how quickly he/she recovers, i think you can feel when you are ready to start again. for me it is about 45 secs for small muscle groups and 1 minute to 90 seconds for larger muscles. i dont like to just sit and waste time. but sometimes i might take longer depending on how my body feels.

It seems there many schools of thought on this subject . Over many years of training I have learned how to read and listen to my body . Another thing I've learned and this is why so many opinions on this matter is EVERYBODY'S BODY IS DIFFERENT . It takes years to truly learn what works best for your particular body . Genetics , Metabolism and like HFO said above calorie intake plus few other things all contribute to what works best for you . Years of training and trying different routines will tell you what is best for you ....Some days i rest longer then others ... Depends how I feel and also how rested and well hydrated ( HFO again ) I am

IML Gear Cream!
Between sets I usually take a drink, make sure my music is good, catch my breathe then hit another set. I'd say around 60-90 sec.

I go with instinct more less if I train quads I'll take whatever rest I need to keep adding weight to the bar, if I take a short rest and do a medeoquer set will not get me where I need to get, some time in chest days I will only take 15 sec rest on same lifts and a minute the next.

I read a couple articles recently, regarding rest periods between sets and the desired effect or goal of the different time periods. They basically laid it out like so:

1. 30-60 seconds rest beween sets, for muscular endurance.

2. 60-120 seconds rest, for hypertrophy.

3. 3-5 minutes rest, for pure strength/power.

In the spirit of this, I am currently using 3 minute rest periods between my squat sets, to promote pure strength in this particular lift for the time being, and 2 minute rest periods between all other exercise sets, because that time period would seem to be the bridge between hypertrophy and pure strength.

What does everybody say on this? Anything to it? Or am I just following another fad?

the rest times are there because of science and letting your energy pathways rebuild.

that being said; when looking at rest times look at the movement and how much stress its putting on the body and what you want to achieve from your training. experience and intensity are factors as well. so the more weight you move the longer rest you need to recover and hit the set just as hard as you did before. what you have is fairly close.

muscle endurance= 15 reps and up is 0-90 seconds rest.
muscle hypertrophy= 8-12 reps is 30-90 seconds rest. normally 3-5 sets
muscle strength=3-6 reps is 2-8 minutes(beginners could probably even do 90 seconds at 6 reps) normally 3-6 sets
muscle power=1-3 reps is 3-8 maybe even 10 minutes in extreme cases.. normally 3-10 sets

hope this helps!

I usually try to stick to about 60-90 seconds but depends on the exercise. Some I try to keep shorter so my heart rate stays up.

this is not scientific, but I circuit train resting as little as possible to cut time and move workout along. too easy to waste time.

I live by 1 minute rest between sets. IMO 2 to 3 mins is too much unless you are doing super heavy compound exercises such as deads, squats, bench, clean and press etc. I tend to take a little more time between sets in these exercises.

Back