• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Dieting Confusion

Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
In order to give the proper perspective on my question, I need to bore those of you willing to read it, with a story.

I am 39 years old. Before the time period mentioned in this thread, I had not lifted regularly since my late teens, a little more than 20 years ago. On January 2nd, 2013, I was an obese 306lbs. I had had enough of how I looked, felt, etc. and decided to do something about it. Simply by calorie cutting and monitoring, and adding some moderate cardio as time went by, I dropped 91lbs by early November. On November 18th, 2013, I decided to pick up the iron again, and haven't put it down since. I knew the way I was eating would not work. I was consuming too few calories to gain any real muscle and I certainly wasn't eating clean. I upped my daily caloric intake from 1600 to 2500, and began really watching the quality of what I ate. I still have about 70lbs that I ought to lose but my goals have changed too. The last few months of lifting have been kind to me and my muscular development is coming along faster than I dared hope. Still, there is an issue, and the point of this thread.

At 5'5" and 215lbs, I still had aways to go on my original weight loss mission. My main concern now is,eating enough calories to repair and grow muscle while not blowing my hard-earned weight loss progress. I have read articles that suggest I should be consuming 3,000 calories a day, or more. My concern is that, at that many calories, no matter how clean, I will gain fat as well. No big deal if I weighed 140lbs and simply wanted to grow, but this is not the case.

So what's the question? You need to determine your macros, how much of that is protein, fats and carbs. If your on a cut 2,000-2,500 would suffice. Thats easily six clean full meals a day meaning 8 oz of chicken cup to a cup and a half of rice and fresh vegetables. The point is to consume enough to where your body doesn't think your going to starve it, when it thinks that it will store it as fat. When your consuming enough food consistently your body will use it as fuel. But dont leave it up to chance, pay someone to figure out your macros.

-jwgibbons

Wondered if I might not specify the question properly. Sorry about that. I'm seeking general advice, as well as the answer to the question. The question is, can I stay/get lean eating enough calories to grow muscle? OR....can I grow muscle on the kind of calories necessary to continue losing weight? You have answered it, albeit pretty much the broad way I have seen it everywhere else. I'm concerned that, even with my macros in order, on a 3,000 calorie diet, I would continue to gain fat, as well. Maybe even at 2,500.

Everybody is different. Calorie guidelines are just that, guide lines. It is up to you to determine the best caloric intake for you to achieve your goals. 3000 calories a day is a bulking diet for me, but for some it is barely maintenance.

my maintenance is about 4500 cal. you need to find your BMR then go from there. look it up online you will find some calculators that will guide you.

set up a my fitness pal account and start tracking your macros, it's free and it's not hard. You will quickly learn your maintenance calories then you can deduct from there to lose body fat and retain muscle.

I would research carb loading, it's an excellent plan for exactly what you want or hire a nutrition coach

get a scale as well - so you can accurately calculate what youre eating and the macros

Back