NapsGear.net


Smith squats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42

Thread: Smith squats

  1. #1
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    14936634

    Smith squats






    I dislocated my shoulder at the end of last year. My range of motion is somewhat screwed yet so I cant grip the bar and hold it in the position to do squats. I recently started doing them on the Smith machine; I can flip the release and hold the bar on my shoulder with one arm this way. Am I still getting the same benefits as free weight squats doing this? Are the Smith machine bars Olympic weight? Anyone know what the assist is on those machines? Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    In a weigh you are getting more out of it. See with a barbell plus weights there is no upward resistance except the weight. But w the smith rack you are fighting the weight plus the resistance of the cable mechanism.

    KRAZIEONE

  3. #3
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    14936634

    Good point. Do you know if that barbell is 45lbs?

  4. #4
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    I'm pretty sure on the smith rack bar is like 35lbs

    KRAZIEONE

  5. #5
    Still growin
    Swfl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Posts
    1,940
    Rep Points
    452180182

    The bar is 20-35 lbs depending on manufacturer. I personally hate the ROM of smith machines but if that's all you can do its still activating the muscles which is the goal so I would say Crush it!
    I'll get there or Die trying...

  6. #6
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    Yes better that than nothing

    KRAZIEONE

  7. #7
    Registered User
    need2lift's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    183
    Rep Points
    26030331

    Quote Originally Posted by Krazieone56 View Post
    In a weigh you are getting more out of it. See with a barbell plus weights there is no upward resistance except the weight. But w the smith rack you are fighting the weight plus the resistance of the cable mechanism.

    KRAZIEONE
    interesting point of view...seems like guys can do more weight on a smith machine so i'm not sure i agree
    but it is better then not lifting at all

  8. #8
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    Yes. You actually can. Because it stabilizes for you also. Which is good for max weight

    KRAZIEONE

  9. #9
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    I do shrugs on the smith rack too. And I can do like 350lbs.

    KRAZIEONE

  10. #10
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    14936634

    Thanks for all of the info guys....so you're saying 315 is more like 290ish on there?

  11. #11
    DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR
    theCaptn''s Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    the 7 seas
    Posts
    20,535
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    I like the smith, cause my shitty gym doesn't have barbels I've gotten use to it. I find it supportive of my lower back and I can go heavier, really loading up my quads - and they've never been bigger.

    I also like to put a bench under my arse to take it to failure.
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.


  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    14936634

    Quote Originally Posted by theCaptn' View Post
    I like the smith, cause my shitty gym doesn't have barbels I've gotten use to it. I find it supportive of my lower back and I can go heavier, really loading up my quads - and they've never been bigger.

    I also like to put a bench under my arse to take it to failure.
    the bench thing is a good idea, im going to use that!

  13. #13
    AG is my home
    futureMrO's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Neverland Ranch
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Points
    773264091

    having abs because you are skinny is like a women having tits because she's fat

  14. #14
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    No 315lbs is still 315lbs lol. Its stable so you can push out extra reps knowing you can just spin the bar and rack it if you get in trouble

    KRAZIEONE

  15. #15
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    14936634

    Quote Originally Posted by futureMrO View Post
    Lol cmon man. I gotta do what I gotta do. I just cant hold the bar right now on normal squats

  16. #16
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    14936634

    Quote Originally Posted by Krazieone56 View Post
    No 315lbs is still 315lbs lol. Its stable so you can push out extra reps knowing you can just spin the bar and rack it if you get in trouble

    KRAZIEONE
    No, im saying if I load the bar up for 315 like normal, it wont be the same because the bar is less lol

  17. #17
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    Ah right lol yes. Account for the bar weight add a light plate

    KRAZIEONE

  18. #18
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    And fuck that homo shit. Nobody calls me a homo when I'm doing 410 pound calf raises on the smith rack. Who gives a fuck what people think being safe isn't a bad thing

    KRAZIEONE

  19. #19
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    14936634

    Quote Originally Posted by Krazieone56 View Post
    Ah right lol yes. Account for the bar weight add a light plate

    KRAZIEONE
    Gotcha, thanks brother

  20. #20
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,942
    Rep Points
    1075497254

    Quote Originally Posted by Krazieone56 View Post
    In a weigh you are getting more out of it. See with a barbell plus weights there is no upward resistance except the weight. But w the smith rack you are fighting the weight plus the resistance of the cable mechanism.

    KRAZIEONE

    You are not getting more out of a smith machine than a standard squat, and what are you talking about upward resistance? Squatting requires stabilizing high weight through an entire range of motion. A smith machine takes most of that work out of the lift. All you have to do is press up.

    Now, I know the guy is hurt, and in a situation like that I agree that smith machine squats are better than no squats, but everything you just said is incorrect.
    Fucking Determined!

  21. #21
    Still growin
    Swfl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Posts
    1,940
    Rep Points
    452180182

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    You are not getting more out of a smith machine than a standard squat, and what are you talking about upward resistance? Squatting requires stabilizing high weight through an entire range of motion. A smith machine takes most of that work out of the lift. All you have to do is press up.

    Now, I know the guy is hurt, and in a situation like that I agree that smith machine squats are better than no squats, but everything you just said is incorrect.
    I'd rep u if I were near a pc

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    I'll get there or Die trying...

  22. #22
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    Well everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and you have yours. That doesn't make me incorrect. Have you ever even tried to do it on a smith rack to even see what I'm talking about? Because one my gym resist you as you go up. Either way who fucking cares. It works and my 25" thighs and 18" calves don't lie. I'm sure what you do works for you and that's great. The question was raised about opinions on smith rack squats I gave my answer. The end ......

    KRAZIEONE

  23. #23
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,942
    Rep Points
    1075497254

    Quote Originally Posted by Krazieone56 View Post
    Well everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and you have yours. That doesn't make me incorrect. Have you ever even tried to do it on a smith rack to even see what I'm talking about? Because one my gym resist you as you go up. Either way who fucking cares. It works and my 25" thighs and 18" calves don't lie. I'm sure what you do works for you and that's great. The question was raised about opinions on smith rack squats I gave my answer. The end ......

    KRAZIEONE
    I'm not expressing an opinion. I am stating facts. Standard squats are not even in the same universe as a smith squat at building mass. That's not opinion. That is the conclusion reached by every fucking professional bodybuilder to ever get somewhere in the sport. Professional bodybuilders do not skip squats. They might throw in some smith squats for variation, but the core of leg training revolved around the BB squat. They even call it the fucking BB squat.

    See with a barbell plus weights there is no upward resistance except the weight. But w the smith rack you are fighting the weight plus the resistance of the cable mechanism
    Okay. What the fuck are you talking about? What upward resistance? Do you mean gravity? When you lift free weights, you have to control 3 axises at once, x,y,and z. You have to fight gravity along with controlling 3 dimensions of space all at once. There is no harder fucking thing to do than to control a free weight. Smith machine exercises are not equal to free weights, and 315 on a smith is not 315 on a squat rack.

    There is a reason that there are no smith machine power lifting events, and that reason is the smith machine is lame. Anybody who has accomplished anything knows it. You will never see Olympic smith machine lifts, because no body cares about people lifting in a smith machine. You are a moron, and I think you are a liar , too. I demand pictures of these massive legs you keep talking about, because I just don't believe you. After the stupid shit that I have heard you say, your credibility is suspect.

    Ninja Edit: Oh, will you homos stop signing your fucking name. The internet has been around for a while, so there is no excuse to not understand how a message board works. Your name is next to your post, so signing it is redundant. It makes you look like you just learned about the internet 3 days ago.
    Fucking Determined!

  24. #24
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    Ok.....

    Krazieone

  25. #25
    DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR
    theCaptn''s Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    the 7 seas
    Posts
    20,535
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Lol kelju
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.


  26. #26
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    Ya know, this is just ridiculous. Lol. I do both squats free weight and smith rack I really don't care what you think. I do what I do. What the fuck do you care what I do lol. I'm new to this board but after being called a moron cause I am saying I like doing both. I don't even care about this. I'm 40 and just too old to deal with a dick measuring contest. I have good legs I have for 20 years. I am an athlete and have been for a long time. The poor guy hurt his shoulder. He can't hold the bar so I presented him why I like the smith rack and trying to help a guy. Jesus Christ. Whatever go do another 3cc of cyp and leave me alone. Lol. Killin me. Sorry man to the guy who started the thread. I was just letting you know you can still get a good leg workout in and be safe.

    KRAZIEONE

  27. #27
    DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR
    theCaptn''s Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    the 7 seas
    Posts
    20,535
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    ^^^ I'll agree, smiths don't replicate the real deal but they have their place. Welcome to IML where everyone is hormonally imbalanced
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.


  28. #28
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    1808988

    Lol captn' thanx for the break. That made me laugh. Yes we are all imbalanced. But I don't think being called a moron cause I'm trying to help a guy is right. We all have the things we like.

    KRAZIEONE

  29. #29
    AG is my home
    futureMrO's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Neverland Ranch
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Points
    773264091

    Quote Originally Posted by mattsilf View Post
    Lol cmon man. I gotta do what I gotta do. I just cant hold the bar right now on normal squats
    in your case i understand, my advice would be to hammer out hack squats
    having abs because you are skinny is like a women having tits because she's fat

  30. #30
    AG is my home
    futureMrO's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Neverland Ranch
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Points
    773264091






    Quote Originally Posted by Krazieone56 View Post
    And fuck that homo shit. Nobody calls me a homo when I'm doing 410 pound calf raises on the smith rack. Who gives a fuck what people think being safe isn't a bad thing

    KRAZIEONE
    well they should
    having abs because you are skinny is like a women having tits because she's fat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 10:08 AM
  2. Regular squats vs. squats with a smith rack
    By JerseyGuy in forum Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
  3. Smith squats or barbell front squats?
    By RRG in forum Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 12:01 PM
  4. Squats with smith machine
    By Jvette73 in forum Training
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 10:37 AM
  5. squats with smith machine
    By arbntmare in forum Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-14-2002, 03:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->