NapsGear.net

weight calculation?

Rep Points

weight calculation?

For a newbie, how do I calculate the amount of weight I should be lifting each set when I'm first starting out? Many books and articles give workout plan suggestion that contain exercise, rep, set, and technique information, but none, that I know of, explain how to figure out the starting point for weights.

From what I've been reading, to gain muscle you have to overload them with weight. Most trainers suggest 3 or so sets of 4-6 reps. If the weight is too light, I won't gain, and if it's too heavy, I'll risk injury and proper form. I was just curious to know if there was a system/technique/best practice for beginners to be able to quickly gauge how much weight I should be lifting for a particular exercise.

Goonie Goo Goo

Rep Points

Look in the stickies

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm gonna start off by saying what I always say to someone who is new at weight training that ask for my advice hit the diet and nutrition section for a good understanding of eating clean and having a good clean diet to best suit your goals. Without a solid clean diet weight training is pointless IMO.

Ive been training for several years and I train at home so u can imagine that I've seen a lot of newbies come and go. I always suggest a new lifter stick with a lighter weight, something that you can preform 10 to 12 reps while controlling the weight but at the same time make yourself struggle. Do research on each and every workout that you preform over and over again to ensure that you are indeed doing the correct technique of the exercise to prevent injury and to get the best training session possible. Remember to control the weight, preform text book technique, and focus on working the actual muscle that you are targeting.

Rep Points

Don't worry about calculating this and that and all these other formulas. When I started training i was 120lbs soak & wet and I couldn't even handle bench pressing a 45lb Barbell. I know some guys that walk into a gym for the first time and can press 225lbs with ease whereas others have to work hard to achieve those numbers. Slow and steady wins the race. The only opponent you have is yourself. Educate yourself on nutrition first and foremost and the muscle and numbers will come. Consistency is key. It's coming, just wait for it.