• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

DM's Raw Power Contest Log

DaMaster

Board Rep
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Just a quick post to get myself started. I've been training the Westside BB Conjugate system for a couple of weeks now. Today's workout is below. Gym is going through a renovation of sorts so a bunch of things were missing and I was in a rush so I only got 2 exercises in. I know this contest is Deadlifts and Bench but today was a squat day so I thought I'd share it anyway. I'll get my deadlift max next time. I'm sure I'll get more detailed as time goes on and when I do a full workout. Tomorrow I have more time for the bench workout and I'll be able to post my max for the bench press contest here.

Current stats:

5'10"
235lbs - last week. I'll check again tomorrow see if it's changed to be more accurate.

Max Effort: Squat

Squat - back squat neutral stance. Worked up to a 495 single. (video coming)
Glute/Hip Thrusts: 315 x 12 x 3. I've got some more in me with these I can tell.

Yes !!! Welcome !

Thanks bro. Working on the video from today. Of course have to set up a YouTube channel and all that fun stuff.

Always a pain in the ass I feel you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Effort Squat Day

I've got a lot of walking around going on and on my last set it was nice that he wanted to spot me but if I dumped it he couldn't do a damn thing.

Thanks man, it felt good. Close to my limit though but I felt good.

He asked if I wanted help and I said I should be fine. Got the rack right there to catch the bar if I dumped so I'm good. He's a good kid, means well. Always asks for advice etc. A few guys like that at that gym. I talk to them and it slows my workout some but I don't mind sharing what I know.

Thanks guys.

Mach, it certainly didn't feel easy. But I have to say that keeping in mind the idea of speed strength while lifting these weights helps me a lot. The dynamic training days have really helped me focus on more than just being strong... need to be fast also. Combine the two and then you have "power" which is the goal here. That Louie Simmons knows his shit huh?

IML Gear Cream!
Wow you made both he 455 and the 95 look easy... Nice work.

Max Effort Bench Day

Flat BB Bench
135 x 10
225 x 8
275 x 5
315 x 3
365 x 1

Inc DB unilateral presses
2 sets of 80 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1
* these were done individually while holding the other one up. Both above my chest at start, then do 5 reps with teh right hand leaving the left up, then 5 with the left leaving the right up, then 4 with the right and so on all the way down to 1 rep per side.

EZ Curl bar
3 x 85 x 12

Abs
Swiss ball crunches with a 130db on my chest.

Here's the video of my bench. You'll notice a pause on the eccentric and that's because my biceps tendons and forearm tendons hurt when I go heavy. I need to build their strength up. I think part of the reason they're strained is from squatting. I don't have great flexibility in my shoulders and my tendons used to hurt while doing heavy squats. I know I need to stretch a lot more. I'm also going to pick up some Cissuss. Can I blame some of this on being 48?

ps
I absolutely HATE that bench but I wasn't near my home gym today so I did what I had to do.

Piss on that bouncing bench and wide spacing on the hooks. I can see why you hate it.

My flat bench is only 225 so you've got me stomped. Recovery is a slow process :/

Warrior

Questions to fix this....

1.whats with the studder stop at the top? Is that a normal thing or not the norm?
2. When you max where do you normally get stuck in he rep? Top, middle or bottom? < there is a reason for that.
3. The widest allowed hand placement is pointer finger on the widest ring on the bar.

the more info you can give the more I can give thought to fix this.

Max Effort Squat Day

I've got a lot of walking around going on and on my last set it was nice that he wanted to spot me but if I dumped it he couldn't do a damn thing.
Ohh now I see! all my goodies must have got shipped to your house! lol just messin around bro. That was some kick ass squating my friend. Keep it up!

Piss on that bouncing bench and wide spacing on the hooks. I can see why you hate it.

My flat bench is only 225 so you've got me stomped. Recovery is a slow process :/

Warrior

It's a community center and while they have a decent power rack and DB's up to 130lbs, those benches suck. Someone sold them on these because they're super adjustable to various inclines and slides forward and backwards. Like you said, it bounces but it also can slide side to side. The bench has a YAW rate lol. Those hooks are in just the WRONG spot for most people. Plus the seat part is WIDE, which is why I placed the aerobic steps on the floor so I can comfortably place my feet without feeling the seat.

Of course the music they play is crap also. Luckily I have AC/DC or the industrial channel on Pandora playing in my ears.

Take your time with the recovery brother. No sense pushing to fast.

IML Gear Cream!
Questions to fix this....

1.whats with the studder stop at the top? Is that a normal thing or not the norm?
2. When you max where do you normally get stuck in he rep? Top, middle or bottom? < there is a reason for that.
3. The widest allowed hand placement is pointer finger on the widest ring on the bar.

the more info you can give the more I can give thought to fix this.

1- The pause during the eccentric is because my biceps and forearm tendons hurt when I start getting heavy. I don't feel them on the concentric but having to slow down so much going down I don't have much left in the tank to press back up.

2- When I max I will always get stuck about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up from my chest. Pretty early on.

3- When training I alternate hand width with each workout. I've never been real comfortable with the real wide grip though. I know it makes for a shorter lifting range and I should probably try to do it more. That video I had my pinkies on the ring so a pretty narrow grip.

I thought this thread was about raw powder...:pissed:
I thought the same thing when I saw the original thread about the contest!

Ohh now I see! all my goodies must have got shipped to your house! lol just messin around bro. That was some kick ass squating my friend. Keep it up!

Thanks brother!

Nice video !

What are you using to splice multiple lifts into one video. I need to start doing that,.

Nice video !

What are you using to splice multiple lifts into one video. I need to start doing that,.

I use two programs. First iMovie to splice them and add the graphic at the bottom, as well as adjust the volume. Then I go to Adobe Premier Pro to add in the pixelation to hide the faces. iMovie is easy to use but only on a Mac. Premier Pro is seriously robust and I could do all of it on there but it's such a deep program I prefer to use iMovie for the basics. Easier and faster. I can also overlay a music track with either program also. So many variables can be adjusted especially with Pro.

1- The pause during the eccentric is because my biceps and forearm tendons hurt when I start getting heavy. I don't feel them on the concentric but having to slow down so much going down I don't have much left in the tank to press back up.

Have you ever looked into tb500? I had the same kinda issue with he elbows when benching and my biceps when doin arms before I started using it... Look into it for a cure I have a well documented log about it which I can and have posted here if you like.

2- When I max I will always get stuck about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up from my chest. Pretty early on.

How is your shoulder strength? Is your pressing strong or not so much?

3- When training I alternate hand width with each workout. I've never been real comfortable with the real wide grip though. I know it makes for a shorter lifting range and I should probably try to do it more. That video I had my pinkies on the ring so a pretty narrow grip.

If PLn is what your after then pick one and run with it. Also after you pick up the bar try to retract your scapulae to help shorting the ROM. The bench your doin now looks like a bb bench pres. I think it was you that I read say "Louie Simmons know his stuff huh"... Could be wrong but, I trained under joe de'marco who is part of the original WSBBC. So I know the uses first hand and how things where ment to work.

If PLn is what your after then pick one and run with it. Also after you pick up the bar try to retract your scapulae to help shorting the ROM. The bench your doin now looks like a bb bench pres. I think it was you that I read say "Louie Simmons know his stuff huh"... Could be wrong but, I trained under joe de'marco who is part of the original WSBBC. So I know the uses first hand and how things where ment to work.

I've never tried TB500, and I'd love to read up on your experience with it brother, thanks.

Shoulder presses are decent. I've been playing with standing and seated on the floor, DB etc. They're actually coming up next week in the rotation.

Yep, I did say he knows his stuff. I read he suggests using different grips during training to hit the movement from slightly different ways to build a total that's greater if sticking to one placement. (best I can describe it for now) Having said that I do only one width when trying for a max/competing. That's the width in the video and the width I've been accustomed to using my whole life, which yes is based on my BB background. I do try to "bend the bar" keep the elbows in about 45 degree angle from my body etc. I also used to bench with a thumbless grip and now doing all bench work with a thumbed grip. Much safer.

Here's the video of my bench. You'll notice a pause on the eccentric and that's because my biceps tendons and forearm tendons hurt when I go heavy. I need to build their strength up. I think part of the reason they're strained is from squatting. I don't have great flexibility in my shoulders and my tendons used to hurt while doing heavy squats. I know I need to stretch a lot more. I'm also going to pick up some Cissuss. Can I blame some of this on being 48?

ps
I absolutely HATE that bench but I wasn't near my home gym today so I did what I had to do.

You have the strength, but that form is definitely lacking. Over the next few weeks we should tweek that quite a bit and put some pounds up. What you think?

Very strong!! Your bench could go up a lot if you used more of a powerlifting position for the lift rather than bodybuilding. Nice lift though.

I know my position isn't the most advantageous for powerlifting. I've tried to arch my back more, pull myself into position etc. Hurts my friggin back lol. Seriously my flexibility is crap and I've had issues before with my C7 vertebrata spinning out of alignment on occasion. When I over arch my back I feel 'something' there.

History: Years a go I was simply getting out of bed and something gripped my ribs so tight I couldn't breath without pain. I was able to relax it enough to live a day or two until I got in to see an osteopath. he felt my spine and said my C7 'spun' a little and when do so it pulls the nerves with it. Those nerves apparently innervate the intercostals. So every time I took a breath it would hurt. He pushed it back in place and I felt immediately better. It happen once more and I haven't had an incidence ever since. I do feel that spot once in a while so I'm careful not to aggravate it too much.

I'll be happy to work on the form and get myself into a better position than I am in now. This old dog (48) still wants to learn new things so let's get this the best it can be.

Do you have a foam roller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back