• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Age and ability to build muscle mass?

IML Gear Cream!
I am 39 have taken about 3 yrs off from training due to a few shoulder surgeries, however have recently started training again with the TRX and amazing how quickly the muscle regains the shape. The strength is also returning very rapidly, so never to old.

as posted by many on this thread, although with age hormone levels decline and the ability to build muscle should decline, but there are other parameters that come into play, like the maturity in training and the experience and i think if someone has been training for decades and naturally then he will not be affected much after 40 as to gain muscle. at least for myself i see no difference now at 52 in building mass.. the difference comes in recovering from injury this is why i have to train smart, also i have lost the ability to stay lean this is why even with a clean diet i still cannot get as lean as i want to, but the size is still there even probably bigger.
i would say ability to build muscle is not affected much
size and mass are not
Flexibility, agility and speed are down i would say by 20%
recovery is also lower
ability to stay lean is also down i cannot maintain any six packs although i have good definition on my legs and chest
strength is down by 10% only because i do not try to go really heavy to avoid injury and because i don't really care, i am trying to lose some weight and just look good and stay healthy.

strangely the other day i was training with a 24 years old who is getting ready for a competition, he is all cut and lean with serious size on him, nice abs etc... i cannot come close to him when it comes to definition i mean i am an old guy :) EXCEPT on legs he had big legs but i have more definition and shape on my legs and i never train heavy on legs i just use moderate to light weight and repetitions...all the fat i pack is on upper and especially middle body

Last edited:
Tricky question to answer. As you get older (beyond your late twenties) your body's testosterone levels begin to decrease gradually which has a direct negative impact on your gains. On the other hand, your experience allows you to train smarter and you're likely not making stupid lifestyle choices as you age (for example getting drunk stupid every weekend) which all contributes to increased ability to build muscle. Having said that, I've made my best gains in my late twenties up till now (early 30's). Had I trained exactly the same as I have in the past five years and stayed away from pills that let me stay up all night in my late teens/ early 20's, I'm certain I would have made even better gains than what I've achieved now at a later age.

as posted by many on this thread, although with age hormone levels decline and the ability to build muscle should decline, but there are other parameters that come into play, like the maturity in training and the experience and i think if someone has been training for decades and naturally then he will not be affected much after 40 as to gain muscle. at least for myself i see no difference now at 52 in building mass.. the difference comes in recovering from injury this is why i have to train smart, also i have lost the ability to stay lean this is why even with a clean diet i still cannot get as lean as i want to, but the size is still there even probably bigger.
i would say ability to build muscle is not affected much
size and mass are not
Flexibility, agility and speed are down i would say by 20%
recovery is also lower
ability to stay lean is also down i cannot maintain any six packs although i have good definition on my legs and chest
strength is down by 10% only because i do not try to go really heavy to avoid injury and because i don't really care, i am trying to lose some weight and just look good and stay healthy.

strangely the other day i was training with a 24 years old who is getting ready for a competition, he is all cut and lean with serious size on him, nice abs etc... i cannot come close to him when it comes to definition i mean i am an old guy :) EXCEPT on legs he had big legs but i have more definition and shape on my legs and i never train heavy on legs i just use moderate to light weight and repetitions...all the fat i pack is on upper and especially middle body
I am 57, and I agree with you 100%. Strength is still there, gaining mass is entirely possible with good diet and work ethic, but flexibility and agility is way down from years ago. I do use some chemical assistance, and I still have some ab definition, but it is getting harder and harder even with a spot on diet.

I'm 34 and it seems as I have a better focus for diet and lifting now. Then when I was younger. I can also pack on pounds easier with better muscle separation. I don't have as many heavy lifting days as I did when I was younger. My joints aren't what the used to be.

I'm 61 and as long as I keep training to failure and don't give into the temptation of being lazy in the gym and with diet I am still gaining. I have never abandoned the core basics: squats/deads presses and rows. I dead lift twice a week, sometimes three.

At 62 the biggest factor is everything hurts. Bad. Every stupid thing you have done to your body catches up with you.

They studied this. Only around 30% decrease from age of 25-70. Now that's settled.

IML Gear Cream!
Training for several years now...I'm 45 today and bigger than I've ever been...though like a lot of the older guys have said, shit hurts all the time..

Back