Condensation in glass media bottle

Rep Points

Condensation in glass media bottle

Hey guys, hope someone can help, I've been brewing a while using the bottle top method, but have recently tried to use a glass media bottle instead of the plastic ones that always crack!

Every time I try to sterilise the media bottle it leaves condensation! Obviously I haven't filtered into it with it being like this as I will just end up with cloudy end product.

my method has been, clean bottle with anti bac soap and boiling water then rinse with distilled water, then bath in 70% isoprop then whack in the oven for an hour at 400 with foil on top. Once I removed from oven, after 10 mins I start to get condensation.

anyone else get this? Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys

Rep Points

After washing the bottles, let them dry thoroughly before sterilizing.

Google "dry heat sterilization" and learn how to sterilize in your oven. Works best with a convection oven but you can do it in a normal oven as well.
    Remove the ring around the bottle mouth and sterilize it in alcohol along with the cap...do not put them in the oven.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Fitness View Post
    After washing the bottles, let them dry thoroughly before sterilizing.

Google "dry heat sterilization" and learn how to sterilize in your oven. Works best with a convection oven but you can do it in a normal oven as well.
    Remove the ring around the bottle mouth and sterilize it in alcohol along with the cap...do not put them in the oven.

Thank you for the response. That's where I'm going wrong then! I've just been putting in straight into oven after the alcohol bath!

so can I just leave the bottle open to the elements to dry upside down or?....

I had the same issue with the open vials too this time around, strange, as last time that never happened!

I've got a fair bit of test waiting to filter here so will get on this right away. I'm sick of the bottle top filters tbh, having too many issues with them, it's not just the cracking, after it's finished filtering I've noticed the plastic top container has like a film on it, like it's melting, I'm only using plain oil and solvents, no EO so not sure what's happening, all I know is it's making the gear painful. Not good. So I'm trying out the nalgene fast caps with an electric vac pump

Rep Points

Have tried this again today, bottles were completely dry before placing in oven and same thing has happened! Lol

Starting to piss me off now.

Anyone else get this? Or have any suggestions

Thanks

Rep Points

Don't use alcohol. Clean them with soap and water. Make sure they are completely dry before placing in oven. Do not set the heat too high.
    I wrap the entire media bottle in foil. After sterilization, I leave them in the oven until they are cool enough to handle (as long as they are foil wrapped they will stay sterile). I dry the bottle top and sealing ring (which I do soak in alcohol first).
    I either place the ring and cap on the bottle or I place a filter on top of the bottle if I'm going to filter right away.

Works just as well for sterilizing empty vials.

Follow the dry heat sterilization directions:

http://generalbacteriology.weebly.co...infection.html

Rep Points

Maybe I'm just tired but I don't understand what is happening. At some point... when all the components are dry....condensation is forming....obviously this sounds like hot liquid cooling off in an enclosed area to me. Are you filtering your liquids cool or hot? Also ba and bb are pretty harsh solvents. BA in general can degrade or warp something especially exposed to heat.

Capt'n Finaplix
    BOARD REP

From the Deep Dark Bowels of a Land called FINA! The place where only the Strongest Craziest Muther Fuckers Dare to Go!
    Rep Points

I agree with what paranoid fitness has said.. allow them to dry in the oven slowly.
    when temp changes are sudden, condensation can form.
    I've used this technique when dealing with steroids that would crash easily.. Allowing them to cool slowly in the oven brought them to room temp very slowly and removed the crashing element
    45% off the entire True Peptide store - use discount code SF45OFF

Highest quality selection of USA research peptides, and Research chemicals and SARMs availiable

Rep Points

Do you use a media bottle with 33mm threads or 45mm? On med-lab-supplies they dont have a proper cap with septa top for the 45mm bottles. In the past I've used zapcaps with a 33mm bottle. What do you use to remove your gear from the glass media bottle?

Rep Points

My sterilization method is a bit different I boil the kettle pour all over said item your about to sterilize, tip any water out, I then pour 100% isopropyl alcohol into it give it a swirl around so the alcohol has gone all over, tip any excess out and give it a bit of a shake, the iso drys pretty fast but ive found it doesn't matter if theres still some wetness as long as its only a tiny bit not like 10mls etc, it then goes straight into the pressure cooker lid on and cooks for 40 minutes once its cooked I let the pressure cooker breathe without taking the lid completely off should take 1hr at the most no need to wrap in foil either.

The oven takes too long imo

Rep Points