Following a bodybuilders diet when you don't compete and are not even a bodybuilder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    275

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    22620102

    Following a bodybuilders diet when you don't compete and are not even a bodybuilder.

    Hello Everyone,

    I came to this forum today to get your opinion.

    A friend of mine has OCD. Everytime he gets involved in something he goes crazy. Its all he thinks about and wants to be around. Well ever since he started lifting weights, he keeps telling me that if we have pizza one night a week or a few drinks, that all his muscles will go away. This is a guy who spends 6 days a week and sometimes 7 in the gym. He keeps a food journal and never eats junk food. Its all stuff such as Chicken, Turkey, Eye of the Round, Salmon, Asparagus, brown rice, yams, whole wheat bread, greek yogurt, oatmeal, avocado, Tuna, Peanut Butter, cottage cheese and so forth. Along with Whey Protein. I try to get him sometimes to relax and enjoy his life and he says he can't eat certain things. I respect that but HE isn't even a bodybuilder. He keeps saying he just wants to build nice muscle and definition. Your thoughts? Is it silly for him to be so obsessive? Especially since he isn't even a bodybuilder? He has this fear that if he eats a hamburger or has a few drinks once a week that he won't build muscle.
    Last edited by LivingtoLearn; 06-02-2014 at 03:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    OldSkool's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    113

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    14876382

    Live and let live. Everyone needs a hobby.

  3. #3
    Head Pooh Bear
    Big Puppy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Uzbekistan
    Posts
    534

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    191935193


    He may be unfounded in his belief, but there are worse things out there

  4. #4
    Registered User
    docdoom77's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    856

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    25467137

    His reasoning is unsound, but adhering to a strict BB'er diet is not just for "real" BB'ers. Anyone who wants to put on lean muscle and/or lose body fat will benefit from bodybuilding diet. Bodybuilders are usually on the cutting edge of good diets.

    He probably needs more rest days and I would go crazy without ever cheating, but I'm not OCD. There are worse things for his OCD to latch onto. If he's not hurting anyone, I say just let him be.

  5. #5
    NO LIMITS
    HFO3's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    AMERICA
    Posts
    1,842

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    709625899


    Quote Originally Posted by LivingtoLearn View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    I came to this forum today to get your opinion.

    A friend of mine has OCD. Everytime he gets involved in something he goes crazy. Its all he thinks about and wants to be around. Well ever since he started lifting weights, he keeps telling me that if we have pizza one night a week or a few drinks, that all his muscles will go away. This is a guy who spends 6 days a week and sometimes 7 in the gym. He keeps a food journal and never eats junk food. Its all stuff such as Chicken, Turkey, Eye of the Round, Salmon, Asparagus, brown rice, yams, whole wheat bread, greek yogurt, oatmeal, avocado, Tuna, Peanut Butter, cottage cheese and so forth. Along with Whey Protein. I try to get him sometimes to relax and enjoy his life and he says he can't eat certain things. I respect that but HE isn't even a bodybuilder. He keeps saying he just wants to build nice muscle and definition. Your thoughts? Is it silly for him to be so obsessive? Especially since he isn't even a bodybuilder? He has this fear that if he eats a hamburger or has a few drinks once a week that he won't build muscle.
    So you're against him eating healthy, not drinking alcohol and lifting weights...

    here's my thoughts: be his friend, support what he does and don't whine about your friend choosing a healthy lifestyle, I mean he could be smoking, drinking and doing drugs, right?
    This account and all comments made by account holder are for entertainment purposes only, anabolic steroid use is illegal without a prescription.
    Keepin Green.

  6. #6
    Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    275

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    22620102

    Quote Originally Posted by HFO3 View Post
    So you're against him eating healthy, not drinking alcohol and lifting weights...

    here's my thoughts: be his friend, support what he does and don't whine about your friend choosing a healthy lifestyle, I mean he could be smoking, drinking and doing drugs, right?
    Actually Im not against him, because I am him. I am searching for opinions on how cheat meals and having a few cocktails can hold me back if I choose to indulge a little.

    For example, how much of a negative impact would a few glasses of cabernet have on my results if I work out 6 days per week drinking no alcohol at all except for Saturday afternoon at a summer BBQ? I'm not a bodybuilder. My goal is to build muscle, look toned and healthy all around. Im not looking to be the next Mr. Olympia but I do want to build muscle and be nicely cut. Think of an underwear model.

  7. #7
    vv MINE!!
    skinnyguy180's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Flip Side
    Posts
    3,304

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    97
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Rep Points
    618898058




    sent by owl
    All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

  8. #8
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere eating
    Posts
    1,564

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    263924215


    I'm just curious how long he has been obsessive about his diet. What brought on this obsessive compulsion? He sounds like a borderline addict as well. He probably doesn't trust himself to cheat thinking that he will fall into bad habits again. He clearly doesn't understand that there are times when a good high calorie meal/cheat meal is perfectly fine. Like after a brutal fucking leg day!! Gotta make gains!! Anyway there are worse things to be fixated on to the piont of OCD like actions. Just tell him to go easy on the tuna. Lots of mercury in most of those products.

  9. #9
    Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    275

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    22620102

    No IM not against him living a healthy lifestyle, because I am him.

    I am in fear that if I have a few glasses of wine one night a week that all my muscles will go away. Why am I thinking this? I am highly superstitious you can say.

    I am not looking to be a bodybuilder. I work hard in the gym cause I want to be nicely cut keeping my flexibility. I play golf.

    I enjoy my new lifestyle and really want to be successful at building some nice definition now that I've lost 100 pounds. And yes I do have a fear of getting back into bad habits so I stay away from them. I haven't had a pop or a candy bar in over 8 months . I eliminated processed sugars, fats, and carbs completely out of my life. I now get all my fats , carbs and sugars from healthy foods.

    I keep reading that if you drink one night a week, it will ruin your gains. Does that mean that If I was to go out and drink some Cabernet, that all the work I put in the previous six days will be eliminated?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    MI1972's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    654

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    136939849


    Quote Originally Posted by LivingtoLearn View Post
    No IM not against him living a healthy lifestyle, because I am him.

    I am in fear that if I have a few glasses of wine one night a week that all my muscles will go away. Why am I thinking this? I am highly superstitious you can say.

    I am not looking to be a bodybuilder. I work hard in the gym cause I want to be nicely cut keeping my flexibility. I play golf.

    I enjoy my new lifestyle and really want to be successful at building some nice definition now that I've lost 100 pounds. And yes I do have a fear of getting back into bad habits so I stay away from them. I haven't had a pop or a candy bar in over 8 months . I eliminated processed sugars, fats, and carbs completely out of my life. I now get all my fats , carbs and sugars from healthy foods.
    Is this the typical.... "I have a friend who...." is it you or your friend that is OCD?

  11. #11
    Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    275

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    22620102

    It is me.

    Is it true that one night a week of some red wine will ruin a weeks worth of gains?

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,663

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    106134092


    Quote Originally Posted by LivingtoLearn View Post
    I keep reading that if you drink one night a week, it will ruin your gains. Does that mean that If I was to go out and drink some Cabernet, that all the work I put in the previous six days will be eliminated?
    It will not ruin your gains, but it adds calories for which you need to account. 125-150 calories per glass. Just keep that in mind when putting together your diet and cardio program. 3 or 4 glasses of wine equals a good half hour to 45 minutes of intense (not slow) elliptical work. That is, one extra session a week, just to offset your wine drinking once a week.

  13. #13
    Super Human
    1HungLo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,819

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    335504118


    Quote Originally Posted by malfeasance View Post
    It will not ruin your gains, but it adds calories for which you need to account. 125-150 calories per glass. Just keep that in mind when putting together your diet and cardio program. 3 or 4 glasses of wine equals a good half hour to 45 minutes of intense (not slow) elliptical work. That is, one extra session a week, just to offset your wine drinking once a week.
    Yes. A glass of wine will not eat your muscles unless your diet consists of nothing but alcohol. Look at an alcoholic's body to see what I mean. You do however have to include the kcals in a glass of wine just like you have to account for everything you put in your mouth. Remember the addage, "garbage in, garbage out."

    You don't need to obsess over your diet. Figure out what your macros should be and eat as close to them as regularly as possible. If you add a glass of wine or a slice of pizza above and beyond your macros once in a while then no real harm will be done. Or, if you want to eat pizza (or whatever), look at the grams of carbs you will be consuming then cut down on the carbs you eat from something else that day. Simple science.

    FYI bro, you don't need to make up a friend and you may even piss people off on here by doing so. If its you that's drinking too much or eating a shitty diet then just man up and put it out there. You may catch hell for it but thats exactly what you want. The hell you catch will actually support and encourage your desire to change. There are a lot of brothers on here that have a ton of knoweldge and they are willing to help you out by sharing that knowledge with you but you have to be upfront and honest with them. Most people don't use real names on here so for the most part everyone is anonymous so there is absolutely no reason to make up an imaginary friend with the shortcomings that you yourself are plagued with -- be upfront, be honest and be helped. End of sermon.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    MI1972's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    654

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    136939849


    Bro, live your life and have fun...

  15. #15
    Registered User
    13bret's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    america
    Age
    45
    Posts
    377

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    35584713

    Quote Originally Posted by LivingtoLearn View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    I came to this forum today to get your opinion.

    A friend of mine has OCD. Everytime he gets involved in something he goes crazy. Its all he thinks about and wants to be around. Well ever since he started lifting weights, he keeps telling me that if we have pizza one night a week or a few drinks, that all his muscles will go away. This is a guy who spends 6 days a week and sometimes 7 in the gym. He keeps a food journal and never eats junk food. Its all stuff such as Chicken, Turkey, Eye of the Round, Salmon, Asparagus, brown rice, yams, whole wheat bread, greek yogurt, oatmeal, avocado, Tuna, Peanut Butter, cottage cheese and so forth. Along with Whey Protein. I try to get him sometimes to relax and enjoy his life and he says he can't eat certain things. I respect that but HE isn't even a bodybuilder. He keeps saying he just wants to build nice muscle and definition. Your thoughts? Is it silly for him to be so obsessive? Especially since he isn't even a bodybuilder? He has this fear that if he eats a hamburger or has a few drinks once a week that he won't build muscle.
    Sounds like dedication. Why you obsessing over what he's doing. If you're really his friend you'll support him and not second guess him. Don't be selfish, it's about him not you. You want to get drunk and eat shit do it on a night he's not around.

Similar Threads

  1. BodyBuilder Diet Example
    By Curt James in forum Natural and Teen Bodybuilding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM
  2. To Compete or Not To Compete
    By Hubauer in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 02:54 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 05:17 AM
  4. i want to compete
    By DNABulking in forum Muscle Central
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 02:04 PM
  5. Bodybuilder's diet vs healthy diet?
    By Katia7 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2001-2017 IronMag® Bodybuilding Forums