• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Stability Ball Training

Do you use a stability ball when training?

• Yes, I use one constantly for core work

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, but rarely and only for support exercises

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No, I think stability balls are a waste of time

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

ponyboy

Training Trainer
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Just wondering...

There are a lot of experienced bodybuilders here, but I'm wondering how many of us actually use the stability ball in our workouts. Post your opinions here!

First, I need to know what it is?

You mean those Swiss balls? I only used them for some ab exercises.

Yes...the big inflated balls that many use only for abdominal exercises. Sometimes called Swiss balls.

Originally posted by ponyboy
Yes...the big inflated balls that many use only for abdominal exercises. Sometimes called Swiss balls.

I rarely see anyone at my gym doing anything but ab exercises on them. Maybe twice I saw someone working their back.

My wife uses one for PT rehab work!

I use it mainly for abs but there are some good stability exercises for shoulders/chest and hams.

Try getting a bench then place your feet (toes) on the bench (facing the ground) lay in a push up position with your hands about three inches apart on the top of the swiss ball which should be under your chest. See how many pushups you can do .... it's tough. Make sure you spread your fingers open for support.

Also swiss balls are great for hamstring curls. Lay on your back - then place the ball under your heals. Raise your hips off the ground then curl the ball underneath (then repeat) you while keeping your shoulder blades on the floor and hips in the air. It's kind of awkward at first but if you do them right it's great for your hams.

:thumb:

I use it for mainly abs and lower back but I occasionally use it for chest presses and flyes as well as overhead presses for shoulders.

I use it A LOT with my clients though that are interested less in bodybuilding and more for "health & fitness."

It's also a gr8 tool for stretching. Actully I think it's probably the best thing to hit the industry yet...IMHO:)

Funky does alot with this. Check with him. I think he can actually do squats on the damn thing. :lol:

i use this ball for everything and am trying to convince my office to let me sit on one all day at my desk...they arent buying into it yet :mad: first thing i tell my clients to buy is a swiss/stability ball. personally i think they rock...and arent to bad for fun either :eyebrow:

Originally posted by Jodi
Funky does alot with this. Check with him. I think he can actually do squats on the damn thing. :lol:

I've gotten to the point where I can do this...and I've been able to get one of my clients to do the same. The guy that runs my gym can do it while holding a plate on his chest. Now that's core strength!

Great to hear the input...personally I think sometimes we focus too much on strength and size and not enough on functional stuff in bodybuilding. If you're always training just for esthetics it can lead to all sorts of problems maybe not now but ten years from now when it catches up to you.

My gym doesn't have too many balls (grand total of 3) and they are always taken. I usually do abs and back with them.

Anyone know of any good "how-to" sites with these balls, Swiss balls that is? :D

I've gotten to the point where I can do this...and I've been able to get one of my clients to do the same. The guy that runs my gym can do it while holding a plate on his chest. Now that's core strength!

I hope you have good insurance.

It is a good rehab tool when used properly. Most people abuse these things. If you want someone to strengthen their core free weight squats (doesn't have to be bodybuilding heavy squats) are a much better and safer core building exercise.

Back