• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Injury avoidance questions

Rayjay1

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I am going to be doing some lighter routines to get back into shape after a major back injury. I have also had multiple major knee surgeries on both sides, but the legs are doing ok now.

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into how someone like me can move into powerlifting in the future without having injury? I don't necessarily need to be highly competitive since I know what I am working with, I just want to be reasonably able to compete for fun and get strong without aggravating old injuries

Easiest way imo is to keep warm before and lifting begins.. Ie 5-15 min of some kinda cardio or light walk to get blood goin. Afte I had knee surgery I would walk for 5-10min on trad mill to get blood flowing to the legs before I would start work (weights) wanted to get a sweat goin. I felt better and 6 months after knee surgery (3months no squating) I squated more then I ever had... So I do think there is something to being warm for heavy sets. Also I use knee sleeves, they are not so much for support but more for my head. Makes me feel better.

Sometimes the "warm ups" are not enough....

Okay then… In my opinion if you don't want to get hurt then powerlifting is definitely not for you. Anyone he can go to the gym and just be a strong guy. But there's a difference between a power lifter and a strong guy at the gym. If you've got good insurance you shouldn't really worry about hurting yourself pretty much anything you do to yourself can be fixed with the good doctor. Look at Brandon Lily he had both of his legs destroyed squatting 750 pounds which was supposed to be an easy lift for him but it ended up almost destroying his career but with help from good doctors he's already squatting and get it it's only been approximately six months, So sometimes things just happen.

Only thing I can say is if you want to be a power lifter don't be afraid of getting hurt because somewhere along the way it will happen. Also I think when you're afraid is when you get hurt more often than not. If you're afraid you're second-guessing yourself when you're second-guessing you're not doing things the way you should. If you want to power lift and not hurt yourself you're going to have to gauge how far to push yourself and when to do so... None of us can tell you when the time is right to push.

First post was me trying to be Centered on the subject. This post me telling you how I feel about the situation since I have powerlifted and have and when I was Competing had an elite total In The 220 class.

Never really trained with a Routine just kinda went by feel... Heavy squats, heavy bench and on occasion I would DL. I trained with joe demarco of the Original westside barbell club and that's how they trained we for the most part by feel. Of course you adapt the training to yourself you know what works and what doesn't work, But if you come in one day and it supposed to be a max day and you don't feel like you have it don't try it. If you don't feel like you have it usually that's your body telling you that you're not ready for it so don't do it.

When I was equipped I never used my Equipment it up until about eight weeks out then I put equipment on every single workout. Suit/shirt knee warps and the like... With equipment you'd always work up to a heavy single. Then back it off to about 80% do a triple. Take the suit off the wraps on and then do another set of 80% of your raw Max. That was pretty much it for squats.

Squatting raw was normally 3 to 5 sets of 3 to 1. Then a set that 8 would be hard then do 10 with help if needed. Then for hams I would do 2-4 sets of stiff leg DL for 455 for 10-12. Then 2-3 sets of leg curls with a slow contraction (more for bb then PL but I'm vain)

those are what worked for me when I was into it hard but again most of that was Trial and error on my part to find the right combo.

Agreed on the warm ups. I also will walk a steep incline on the tread mill before leg training and my first few sets are warm ups as well. I also have more power when warmed up.

As lame as it sounds.... doing something like yoga could help out a lot. I can help in many departments such as mobility, flexibility ,and preventing future injuries from happening. Plus the ladies will give you extra motivation. :booty: In all seriousness, just at least stretch a lot haha.

Back