• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Help Me Understand "High Reps for Mass"

melochai

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So, I'm getting older and I can feel the heavy weight in my joints more than I want to... I'm trying to accept getting older and finding a way around progress with lighter weight...Please help!
Okay, I understand the pump and burn you get from the higher reps. I get that it's easier on your joints... I don't understand what is technically considered "high reps"? What does the High rep scheme do to your set #'s, Less sets or do they stay the same ? What is working for you guys?

If the purpose is to apply stimulus intense enough to trigger muscle growth, then the "high" rep vs. "low" rep becomes irrelevant, in a sense. If you are looking to give your joints a break, then lowering weight would seem like an obvious. However, that does not automatically mean more reps. Secret word is "tempo". Slow down your rep quite a bit, you will be forced to lower the weight and the decrease in momentum brings down the impact on your joints caused by quickly going from eccentric to concentric. High reps and slow reps are similar in that they both require less weight, and they will both increase time under tension, but they differ in the sense that slowing down your reps eliminates the impact mentioned above. It is possible to up the reps with lower weight but still apply much impact to one's joints, it sounds like that is not what you are looking to do (your joints are hurting).

Therefore my advice is; lower weight, drastically slow down the speed, or tempo, and you'll be able to recruit the same amount of muscle fibers, keep rep count low, and eliminate impact on the joints.

That's my advice and I'm sure some would disagree but it is not something I just pulled out of my ass and is supported by the science. For the sake of keeping this short I didn't go into all of that (science stuff).

High rep, lower weight actually works better for me so you might be in for a pleasant surprise. If youve been training years at big weight, low rep your body will probably respond really well to the change. High reps seems to be all the rage with everyone showing CT Fletcher love, but you cant argue with the mans body. Its working for him...good luck finding what works for you brother

Give your joints a break and hit some high reps for a couple months. Take some shit for joint repair while you are at it. 4-5 sets of 20 with some drop downs. Focus on form and time under tension. Then go back to your heavy routine. Can't hurt.

Neither of the two posts preceding this one address the reason your joints are hurting, which is impact. "high" reps performed at the average speed (or faster as people tend to do to get through the set before dinner), still cause impact. I tell you, try slowing it down, you will be surprised to see that you will get the same "feeling" as with heavier weights and your joints will thank you. As to your original question; what constitutes high reps really doesn't matter, your body recognizes the intensity of the strain put on them, hell it doesn't even know you are lifting weights, simply that your muscles are under severe stress.

Progressive overload
High intensity
Time under tension
ENOUGH REST

Fuck the rep count IMO.

I always lift slow, at least a 4 seconds down & try to do a 1-2 second up, always have. I hate when I see people bouncing the weight up and down... LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither of the two posts preceding this one address the reason your joints are hurting, which is impact. "high" reps performed at the average speed (or faster as people tend to do to get through the set before dinner), still cause impact. I tell you, try slowing it down, you will be surprised to see that you will get the same "feeling" as with heavier weights and your joints will thank you. As to your original question; what constitutes high reps really doesn't matter, your body recognizes the intensity of the strain put on them, hell it doesn't even know you are lifting weights, simply that your muscles are under severe stress.

Progressive overload
High intensity
Time under tension
ENOUGH REST

Fuck the rep count IMO.

wow I was really dreading having to write a long post, but this pretty much sums it up. Overload for whatever tempo, reps count etc. Just be consistent and progress. If you are using then things change slightly, but the principles are the same

Temp and time under tension are huge ....I vary the range of motion thru the high rep sets moderate weight and keep my rep range between 10 to 16 depending on the muscle group I'm working .im 51 and in the best shape I've ever been in have just as much size as I've ever had I'm 6 ft 3 230 and arms are a muscular ripped 19.5 inches still

Give your joints a break and hit some high reps for a couple months. Take some shit for joint repair while you are at it. 4-5 sets of 20 with some drop downs. Focus on form and time under tension. Then go back to your heavy routine. Can't hurt.

Many people can gain muscle growth by doing high rep, medium weight. Slow squeezes, and incorporating a slow motion on the up and down on some exercises.

As I noted on the elbow thread, I am in my mid-40s now and going heavy is causing joint problems. After 40 the body does change for most people.

So, basically.... Keep rest periods short & go slow/controlled.... No matter what the rep count, but look for the higher reps(15-20)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use both. Start with 4 sets increasing heavy weight till failure , then 8 sets lighter weight. each set to failure decreasing weight each time it burns like hell

Back