NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Wasting time? The diff. b/w bodybuilders + weightlifters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

Wasting time? The diff. b/w bodybuilders + weightlifters

Every time i go to the gym, i notice this thing that almost amuses me its so bad. Maybe you guys can relate....

One thing for instance (not the main point), today (Monday) happened to be leg day. Legs is my fav. day, its the day you find out how much minerals you have down there....i look around, and its only me and 2 other kids doing legs there the entire time i was there. I mean i know leg day hurts, but thats why i personally like it. my legs and calves happen to be my strongest parts in terms of bb, and they are growing like crazy. No one else did legs in two hours i was there. I guess today was National Chest and biceps day, for everyone else seemed to be working the showy muscles on this respective holiday.

Now for the real kicker. Maybe kids don't like doing legs (personally i think its ridiculous to have a huge upper body and chicken legs that connect to pencil calves), and arent into bodybuilding like me and a few of my buddies. But while they are in there (doing chest and bi's), they do everything WRONG!!!

Have you guys heard of the mind-muscle connection? You know that thing where you feel your muscle contract, flex at the peak and then relax on the way down for every rep of every set? I almost can't stand looking at kids literally swing up ridiculous weights here and cheat weights there. They may talk to there buddies during a set or even talking on the phone.
    ITS RIDICULOUS!

Anyways, i know its getting to be a long post, and if you're still reading, you know what im talking about. I must admit, i've been guilty of "weightlifting" in the past when i started, and of not having the mm connection. But once i got it and started "bodybuilding", my body literally blew up. I think that is the difference in people who are at the gym. A select few are "bodybuilders" (trying to maximize the stimulation of the most muscle fibers to either gain mass or shred down), but most are "weightlifters", because they don't know what they are doing except that they are heartlessly lifting weights. Since i started "bodybuilding" I have my friends who compete tell me i definitely need to. Before, I was grinding away relentlessly with little results, wondering how some guys built these great physiques...what was i doing wrong? I bought some books and films and took in all the info i could and once i developed it, i couldn't stop growing.....When these people do not gain weight, cut down, or get any stronger, do they not question themselves "what the hell am i doing wrong or why the hell am i in here"?

Are there "weightlifters" in your gym you feel so sorry for you just want to enlighten them to go home and stop wasting their time?
    You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. Dat's why I'm going to kill you lahst.

* Got juice?*Need Motivation?*How to Train*
    *Arnold vs. Ronnie vs. Haney vs. Sergio*
    *YEAH BUDDY...LIGHT WEIGHT!*Ahhnold*

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I can more than relate man, you just gotta ignoere the clown show that is going on and go about your business. Not everybody is a bodybuilder, and MOST people do not know what they are doing in the first place, hey what do you expect in this society, ha

Rep Points

The mind muscle connection has absolutely nothing to do with speed of contraction. The mind muscle link is still there regardless. For example, I do alot of explosive movements and I run the scenario continuously thru my head seconds before the movement, specifically the sequencing order of which muscle groups need to fire when. I understand what you are getting at, though.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Rep Points

Re: Wasting time? The diff. b/w bodybuilders + weightlifters

Originally posted by Flex
    I almost can't stand looking at kids literally swing up ridiculous weights here and cheat weights there. They may talk to there buddies during a set or even talking on the phone.
    ITS RIDICULOUS!
    lol that sounds a lot like me when i started

i've just started to learn about the mind-muscle thing its good, i used to think how big you got depended on how big you could lift (all these newbies who go to the gym think the same). But it how much you lift that matters, its how you lift it (technique and concentration on the muscles you are working to overload those exact muscles)

anyway good post man i hear what your getting at

Rep Points

few guys at my gym lift correctly, i'm probably one of about 3 or 4 that i've ever seen lift properly, loads of guys have bad technique swinging weights around quickly

the thing is, i just can be bothered to explain to them that they are doing it wrong, coz they don't listen (i never used to), and i'm more concerned about my own technique than anyone elses

when i start lifting i'm totally focused on what i'm doing, i just ignore the scrubs

Rep Points

good post...
    God bless those doing wrong technique...May they get enlightened soon..
    Though i never intended to compete one day...bodybuilding is a challange to myself...strength, might as well as self-confidence... a determination to go against all odds....time limitation...business...poor genetics...congenital defects... not to mention financial matters.

They better do cardio...rather than wasting their time in gym....

For me...killing myself at the gym is better than enjoying myself as an unhealthy couch potatoe.

Tiny Tom

Rep Points

The worst thing is, if you see someone blatantly doing a lift completely wrong, or with no form. If you say something about it nicely, and try to help them out, they usually get mad at you. I dont even say anything anymore unless it looks like they are gonna hurt themselves...
    Lift hard, or go home!
    Zed : Bring out the Gimp.
    Maynard : But the Gimp's sleeping.
    Zed : Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

Rep Points

Has anyone ever caught these people watching you? It happens to me all the time. In fact, I've developed some rather unorthodox movements given the equipement we have and sooner or later, someone else usually tries it too.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

RAWR!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by racoon02
    The worst thing is, if you see someone blatantly doing a lift completely wrong, or with no form. If you say something about it nicely, and try to help them out, they usually get mad at you. I dont even say anything anymore unless it looks like they are gonna hurt themselves...
    Unless you are a ripped monster they probably won't listen to you. If you look how they want to look they will more than likely listen to you and do as you do.
    Homer: Hey! I saved your life! That egg sandwich could have killed you by cholesterol.
    Lenny: Pfft, forget it, Homer. While it has been established that eggs contain cholesterol, it has not yet been proven conclusively that they actually raise the level of serum cholesterol in the human
    blood stream.

Rep Points

Originally posted by Rob_NC
    Has anyone ever caught these people watching you? It happens to me all the time. In fact, I've developed some rather unorthodox movements given the equipement we have and sooner or later, someone else usually tries it too.
    haha yes

i've had newbies do that before, they will watch me, then they will come over and do what i'm doing (or try to do what i'm doing, but they don't know the correct technique and they just look silly)

happens every now and again, i just give them a puzzled look and carry on

Rep Points

Some people train for strength and overall health others BB but everyone has to start somewhere,right? At least they are in there trying,gotta give em some credit for that one.All lifting can be tough.Different body types,experience and condition dictates ones ability.Maybe they need alittle guidance or a good example.I just concentrate on what I'm doing depending on how I feel.Not too concerned about what others think and don't spend much evaluating them.Sure many guys do it wrong but are we always spot on? Also Ivé never had guys get angry because I correct them.It's in the approach if you want to take the time.Personally I modify my workout because of previous injuries and I'm sure someone will think it's wrong.Different strokes..
    Live Well- Live Long- Keep Rockin

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Weightlifter is a term used often for powerlifting, I would call those people gym jerkoffs or something, but not neccessarily weightlifters.

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

I'm glad some of you guys can relate.

Moon-that's great man, you don't have to compete to be a bodybuilder, at least you have figured out the beauty of bodybuilding.

Racoon-def know what you're saying man. you try to help them, and they think you think you know it all, so i also keep my mouth shut.

young d-me too man....people come up to me all the time and be like "man, how'd you get so big by lifting such little weight". i feel like telling them there's more to getting big than heavy weights (diet, intensity, form etc). i lift heavy, but only heavy enough that i can put maximum stress on the given muscle.

That's why i don't even talk to anyone anymore. its a waste of breath IMO, unless i have a question. I'm glad you guys know what i'm talking about, i mean sometimes i think i am going to the gym but end up at the circus.

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

Originally posted by kdwa1
    Some people train for strength and overall health others BB but everyone has to start somewhere,right? At least they are in there trying,gotta give em some credit for that one.All lifting can be tough.Different body types,experience and condition dictates ones ability.Maybe they need alittle guidance or a good example.I just concentrate on what I'm doing depending on how I feel.Not too concerned about what others think and don't spend much evaluating them.Sure many guys do it wrong but are we always spot on? Also Ivé never had guys get angry because I correct them.It's in the approach if you want to take the time.Personally I modify my workout because of previous injuries and I'm sure someone will think it's wrong.Different strokes..
    I definitely agree with you man. I don't care what others think of me, nor do i care what others do. Its also not that they get angry, its just they think to themselves "this guy aint Mr. Olympia, what the hell does he know", you know what i mean. The thing that gets me is just that people think by mindlessly curling dumbells here and pulling down v'bars there they get good results. These are the same kids that come up to me and say "oh man, what supplements do you take", like that is the main reason me or any of my buddies have good physiques. I'm just glad i learned as much as i did, you'd just think others would also if they were going to invest anywhere around 10 hours per week working out.....

Rep Points

Are we talking about the same people? Maybe all of us BB's need a bit of compassion on those who lack knowledge.I have more of a problem with the guys who have lousy etiquette like stealing the bench while your getting air etc. Aren't we doing some serious stereotyping here.Yea I agree there are many as you say jerkoffs but alot of them are just trying to figure it out.Alittle flexibility never hurts.Unless of course we are just an ego maniac and consider our own way the only way.All BB's should be a bit humble about their physic.Christ,are we a bunch of animals?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I dont go to the gym to watch other people, I go in there to do my own business and get out.

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

you've got me all wrong. i'm very modest and humble about my physique, in fact too much for my own good. personally, i think i have a problem when it comes to that. But back to the point....its not the kids that still try and don't know how to (like you say), its the kids that only pound chest and bis, the ones that brag about their bench, the one that ask "what supplements do you take" and think its the supplements that make you big....Don't get me wrong man, i try to help people when i can. i just don't go out of my way anymore....

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

Mudge,
    i completely agree with you. i get in, unleash hell, and get out. i don't even like talking to people, most of the time (unless i know them, i don't even look at them).

Rep Points

I copy Flex, it just sounded very judgemental at first.Anyway I agree there are alot of people screwing around with the weights and watching alot.Personally I'm a chest and bi pounder and my legs are a bit thin but I do work em pretty hard.I'm a surfer so upper body is more developed now into BB to build everything.

I agree Mudge get in do it and get out unless there's a hot babe to talk to of course then I might take my time.Cheers!

Rep Points

On a second note,I watch people worth watching to improve myself sometimes.I train hard but definitley do a babe check now and then.What can I say sometimes pounding can be a bit routine.It's a nice distraction I'm sure you all agree.Yea I know we aren't talkin about girls.Sorry

Rep Points

Nice distraction....
    How sad...can't even please my eyes on them since damned tired there....
    And most come with their own guy...::

Rep Points

Gotta save SOME energy dude.Don't get tooo tired.It's all instinct,right.No single girls in your club? Where's that? Can't imagine.

Tiny Tom

Rep Points

I know its all about the approach kdwa1, I dont go up to them rudley and say your doing it wrong, do it this way. I try to be nice and suggest correct form or whatever. Im usually like "Hey man you can injure yourself that way, this is how I was taught to do it... blah blah, just trying to help out." And they cop an attitude like they either A) dont want my help or B) Know what they are doing. It must be a ego thing with us men.... but I just try to help
    Lift hard, or go home!
    Zed : Bring out the Gimp.
    Maynard : But the Gimp's sleeping.
    Zed : Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

Rep Points

Originally posted by kdwa1
    Are we talking about the same people? Maybe all of us BB's need a bit of compassion on those who lack knowledge.I have more of a problem with the guys who have lousy etiquette like stealing the bench while your getting air etc. Aren't we doing some serious stereotyping here.Yea I agree there are many as you say jerkoffs but alot of them are just trying to figure it out.Alittle flexibility never hurts.Unless of course we are just an ego maniac and consider our own way the only way.All BB's should be a bit humble about their physic.Christ,are we a bunch of animals?
    eazy bro

from your expericences you might have met guys who are struggling and seeking advice, who want to listen and are interested in how they can get better results

but many of us (incl. myself and flex) have seen these kids lifting heavy weights with awful technique, showing off to their buddys, having a 10 min converstation on the phone mid-way through their workout, joking and clowning around when they are lifting! (and sometimes when i'm lifting, which really pisses me off)... now you may think 'why don't you give them some advice?' but a lot of them think they know it all, someone has told them something like 'lift the heaviest weights you can, don't worry if you rock a little or struggle u'll soon get stronger blah blah' and they don't wanna listen to our advice. They just wanna know stuff like how long have I been working out for, what supplements am I on/do i take creatine, how much can i bench, how much do i weigh.... just rubbish like that so they can compare themselves

obviously not all beginners are like this, but many beginners and infact guys who have been lifting for a lil while still have very poor knowledge and are totally wasting their time in the gym, they're the sort of guys we are getting at

peace

Rep Points

I HATE LEG DAY!!!
    28 Days - 6 Hours - 42 Minutes - 12 Seconds

Rep Points

Originally posted by Darkkmind
    I HATE LEG DAY!!!

gym turned to hell on leg day...
    like the world is on my shoulder...

irrelevent though...

Rep Points

I agree with you young d,that's just about what Ivé said previously.I think we are pretty much in sink on this issue. No need to eazy bro me I'm just making a point. Besides we already covered the issue if you read my follow ups after that statement.
    Just for the record,I like doing my legs but definitely not my favorite.I love back and chest days. Ditto-Peace Love and Happiness

the forth horseman

Rep Points

what i hate is in the middle of a lift one of these dicks will be next to me and say something to thier buddy that is pretty funny and it makes me lose my focus,i wanna get up and slap the piss out of them but seeing as i dont wanna lose my membership and have to drive 40 miles to the next gym i just let it go or ask them to keep it down
    when you cant hear the music in your head phones ,cause the guy next to you is grunting out one more rep and cussing at the weights remember .... that guy is probably me

Rep Points

Originally posted by wraith
    what i hate is in the middle of a lift one of these dicks will be next to me and say something to thier buddy that is pretty funny and it makes me lose my focus,i wanna get up and slap the piss out of them but seeing as i dont wanna lose my membership and have to drive 40 miles to the next gym i just let it go or ask them to keep it down
    lol, i relate totally to that 1

these 3 guys come down, 2 are big with a beard and 1 is this tall skinny chap, and all they do is crack jokes so the whole gym can hear!

they all wear bright vests, just looking at them is enough to make you crack up! they actually look like they belong in the circus!

its like i'm lifting and they are right next to me joking and making nozie, i just can't concentrate

thing is a know a couple of them and they are actually really funny guys and all older than me, so i can't exactly tell them to shut up i just have to put up with it

the forth horseman

Rep Points

id love to see a sign up in front of the benchs { no talking while lifts are being made } i mean in golf people have respect not to talk in your back swing ,why should this be different
    when you cant hear the music in your head phones ,cause the guy next to you is grunting out one more rep and cussing at the weights remember .... that guy is probably me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast