Proper Breathing

Rep Points

Proper Breathing

I'm sure most people have no trouble with "proper breathing" which is to exhale while doing the positive and inhale while doing the negative of an exercise... and for the most part no problems here either, but for some reason squats just doens't fit the timing there, I have to breath more often than that during a squat and can't really force myself to fit the breathing to the lifting, is this typical or am I the only one who can't seem to match breathing to the squatting movement (it's a long movement and I'm guessing the size of the muscle groups involved = higher rate of breathing anyway).

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

breathing is important while performing a power lift especially, the way you let out air at what part of the lift can affect performance. I don't know exactly what you do but try and let your breath seep out very slowly during the eccentric part if the motion as opposed to just letting it out all at once, you may find that your focus and tension at the end of the lift is better while doing this

Tiny Tom

Rep Points

I blow blood vessels constantly, and look like I just smoked a blunt after I squat, because I forget to breath sometimes.
    Lift hard, or go home!
    Zed : Bring out the Gimp.
    Maynard : But the Gimp's sleeping.
    Zed : Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

Rep Points

I struggle with breathing on a few exercises

Standing arnold presses (I think thats the one that dose ya shoulders) and lat. raises (I get the tendancy to inhale as my arms go up rather than exhale, its tricky)

For some reason my breathing is fine on all other exercises, its just those 2 I think which I struggle with

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

For squats I will often take an additional breath at the top, otherwise I dont think I'd last very long.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

bascically, studies have showen that when you try and control your breathing your ability to lift weight goes out the window because it is just another thing that your brain has to prosess. The main thing is that you are breathing. Don't worry about it to much, just breath normally and your body will figure out what is right for you, try to hard to think about it and you wont be able to lift as smoothly.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

I don't have much trouble with exhaling, and it's pretty important to exhale when exerting force (otherwise eardrums start popping and blood vessels explode...), my trouble is inhaling when I'm going down with the weights, I can't seem to breath in at a steady pace and basically just suck a big gulp of air down and throws things off a bit (start to feel light headed like I'm preparing to hyperventilate or something). I typically do the same thing as mudge and take an extra breath at the top of the movement, though I would like to keep things at a smoother pace (I feel like I'm resting unnecessarily while taking the extra breath).