• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

More evidence to support the post workout shake and it not affecting fat loss

naturalguy

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Consumption of an easily digested protein/carbohydrate drink immediately after exercise is essential to stimulate both fat loss and muscle growth. This may sound confusing but let me explain the science behind this simple strategy.

The immediate post-workout period is an ideal ???window of opportunity??? for improving body composition. Research demonstrates that nutrient consumption (protein and carbohydrates) after exercise are shuttled directly to muscles to trigger cellular recovery and preserve lean body mass, and these nutrients do not interfere with the fat loss process.

Increasing the lean muscle to fat ratio is necessary to prevent the metabolic rate from slowing down in response to calorie restriction. A concentrated effort on building/preserving lean mass (muscle) is a must for any successful attempt at fat loss.

Results of a recent study emphasize the importance of post-workout supplementation for effective weight loss and preservation of lean tissue. In this study, Japanese scientists had 17-overweight men take part in a 12-week weight loss program. The program consisted of moderate exercise combined with a 17% reduction in energy intake. Immediately after exercise, one group consumed a protein/carbohydrate supplement while the other group was given a non-caloric placebo. Both groups ate the same number of total calories and protein daily.

After 12-weeks the researchers found no differences in fat loss between the groups. However, the group not taking the protein/carb supplement directly after training lost a significant amount of lean body mass. Those taking the protein/carbohydrate supplement preserved their lean body mass.

Even when people are attempting to lose unwanted body fat, it is essential to supplement directly after exercise. Post-workout supplementation maintains lean body mass that transfers into a higher resting metabolic rate and more effective fat loss over the long term.

I totally agree with this, at least my body prefers the spike. :thumb:

I don't really think that evidence will sway anyone to change their views on the subject. They already know the advantages and have said that it may not be right for them. The fact still remains regardless of study's, that someone is gonna be different and will respond accordingly. Again, try either way and see which works best.

Er, just a minute. That study you quoted is comparing protein+carbs with nothing. What we need are studies comparing protein+carbs with protein after workout.

I've read about translocation of the glut4 receptors being independent of insulin up to 30mins after workout, but why does an insulin spike after workout NOT stop fat-burning when normally it does?

1) Naturalguy, why don't you quite trying to start fights? In my post I never disagreed with you, all I stated was that people need to try it themselves and make up their minds. Second, I never stated that a post workout spike would make you fat, all I said was that for ME PERSONALLY I stay leaner with out it.

2) This is a nutrition forum and we can all discuss/argue our own theories and people can take away from them whatever they want but after doing this stuff and studying this stuff for a long time there are two conclusions I have come up with:
(a) everyone is differnet and (b) there are many different ways to do things and none of them are the best or the "be all end all way"

3) Discussion is good. Discussion is fun. But if you are going to make a post like this than please sight some references or post a study to go along with/back up your opinion.

4)
Originally posted by naturalguy
Consumption of an easily digested protein/carbohydrate drink immediately after exercise is essential to stimulate both fat loss and muscle growth. This may sound confusing but let me explain the science behind this simple strategy.

The immediate post-workout period is an ideal ???window of opportunity??? for improving body composition. Research demonstrates that nutrient consumption (protein and carbohydrates) after exercise are shuttled directly to muscles to trigger cellular recovery and preserve lean body mass, and these nutrients do not interfere with the fat loss process.

Increasing the lean muscle to fat ratio is necessary to prevent the metabolic rate from slowing down in response to calorie restriction. A concentrated effort on building/preserving lean mass (muscle) is a must for any successful attempt at fat loss.

Results of a recent study emphasize the importance of post-workout supplementation for effective weight loss and preservation of lean tissue. In this study, Japanese scientists had 17-overweight men take part in a 12-week weight loss program. The program consisted of moderate exercise combined with a 17% reduction in energy intake. Immediately after exercise, one group consumed a protein/carbohydrate supplement while the other group was given a non-caloric placebo. Both groups ate the same number of total calories and protein daily.

After 12-weeks the researchers found no differences in fat loss between the groups. However, the group not taking the protein/carb supplement directly after training lost a significant amount of lean body mass. Those taking the protein/carbohydrate supplement preserved their lean body mass.

Even when people are attempting to lose unwanted body fat, it is essential to supplement directly after exercise. Post-workout supplementation maintains lean body mass that transfers into a higher resting metabolic rate and more effective fat loss over the long term.

Do you have nay references to this study? What journal did it come from? Also, how can this stdy apply? The other group was consuming a non-caloric placebo, what does this have to do with an insulin spike post workout? And besides that the subjets were 17-overweight males. There response to this kind of supplementation is going to be very different than that of a well trained bodybuilder.

Back