• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

The Shadow - PSL Sponsored Log

IML Gear Cream!
This is one of the only pieces of research I have seen comparing low to moderate rep ranges for both hypertrophy and strength.

The study was conducted on two groups of trained men performing a matched number of sets with different rep amounts over 7 exercises:
1. 3 sets of 2-4 reps
2. 3 sets of 8-12 reps

The outcomes showed the lower rep group gaining more strength, and the moderate rep group gaining more muscle.

This shows us that heavy load/low rep training is more suited to strength training whereas moderate load/moderate rep training is more suited to hypertrophy training when sets and frequency are matched.

Therefore, there is a drop off point for hypertrophy at lower reps, and rep ranges are important when considering maximising hypertrophy. It is not just a case of equating overall volume!

It would be interesting to see a comparison of hypertrophy response in a moderate (8-12) rep range with a high (20-30) rep range when sets/intensity/frequency is matched. If anybody has any info, please let me know!

Another awesome piece of research from Dr Brad Schoenfeld!

http://www.jssm.org/abstresearcha.php?id=jssm-15-715.xml

1c7fe12d478ba13fac0b50240a159ed4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MELATONIN & IMPROVED BODY COMPOSITION

Melatonin is a staple supplement for me, both as a sleep aid and as a somatostatin inhibitor. Melatonin is well researched already in the treatment of many illnesses such as insomnia, diabetes, GERD and tinnitus, and it looks like new research shows it holds some beneficial properties for your body composition too!

In this study, 81 women were split into two groups:
1. 1-3mg Melatonin nightly
2. Placebo

Over the course of a year, fat mass decreased in the Melatonin group by 6.9% compared to placebo, and lean mass increased in the Melatonin group by 5.2% compared to placebo.

To put this study in context, finding the right dose of Melatonin to use depends on age, individual metabolism and the purpose that you are taking it. As we can see from the above, dosages of 1-3mg were sufficient in showing changes in body composition, doses to aid sleep can be from 0.2mg-5mg all the way up to 10mg for use as a Somatostatin Inhibitor. Research the optimal dosage for your individual case!

Sources:
[1] Reduced fat mass and increased lean mass in response to 1 year of melatonin treatment in postmenopausal women: A randomized placebo-controlled trial.
Amstrup AK, et al. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2016.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26352863/

79abf0673b6effe2602d7115ea843308.png

A good quality Greens and Reds powder should be at the top of everybody's health supplement list to ensure you are filling in any holes in your daily micro-nutrient profile!

For those with physique based goals, I would recommend avoiding consuming Greens and Reds powders anywhere in the range of 4 hours pre+post workout to ensure the anti-inflammatory effects to not interfere with the hypertrophy process.

095339e6d05b1a66c2322037604bef08.jpg

When the dieting face starts to sink in

341b84bb9c2b08b15bd9899a7cbfff34.jpg

Feeling good after a refeed with the Mrs last night! Food has been dropped some more today. Time to push a little harder

05e3ea5937b6b6a2171af30cf2a8f791.jpg

Stumbled on this review on PubMed trending and thought it was fitting with the amount of carb-bashing fad diets I keep seeing being touted online.

The fitness industry needs to finally remove their emotional (or financial) attachments to their dogmatic diet beliefs and look at the research for what it is.

Putting this review in context, energy balance is the determinant.

'Current scientific evidence does not support the ?carbohydrate-insulin model of obesity?.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27901033/

I am often asked: 'how fat should I let myself get during my off season/gaining phase?'. The answer is... it depends.

For example, here are two client check ins from today. Both are competitive physique athletes, both are carrying different levels of body fat and both are currently in their individual best positions right now for growth. This can come down to so many variables. (Intake required, fluid retention, body fat set point, PED's to name a few).

Figuring this out can be a long process, but one I feel (especially for competitors) is a seriously worthwhile endeavour.

If any body would like some pointers on what to look out for, feel free to shoot me a private message!

D5F372EC-AAF0-4323-8F73-A2B17215F44B.jpg

Christmas came early today!

Alex Kikel pointed me in the direction of Anabolic Designs, and after hearing Joe Binley on BFR and checking out the ingredients list I decided to do a complete overhaul of all of me and my partners health supplements.

I am going to put a video series together on each of these products with a comprehensive breakdown of the benefits and ingredients list to show you guys exactly why these are the front-runners in health supplements right now.

3bf5b39ab6b20f5fb17c30cd735be5e9.jpg

Christmas came early today!

Alex Kikel pointed me in the direction of Anabolic Designs, and after hearing Joe Binley on BFR and checking out the ingredients list I decided to do a complete overhaul of all of me and my partners health supplements.

I am going to put a video series together on each of these products with a comprehensive breakdown of the benefits and ingredients list to show you guys exactly why these are the front-runners in health supplements right now.

3bf5b39ab6b20f5fb17c30cd735be5e9.jpg

Very nice!
Can't wait to hear your reviews.

This is the largest study of brain function on anabolic steroid users to date.

Reductions in brain function were noted in parts of the brain responsible for both emotional and cognitive function in both current and previous AAS users, with even further reductions in lifetime users.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213158216302224

METABOLIC ACTIONS OF GROWTH HORMONE

This paper contains reviews from multiple pieces of research showing that GH plays a role in body composition and energy metabolism.

Across the studies, for GH deficient individuals treated with exogenous GH:
- total fat mass decreased
- sodium and fluid retention increased
- loss of muscle strength upon cessation of treatment
- reduced waist to hip ratio

The fat loss effects from GH seem to be caused by GH's effect on fat, glucose and protein metabolism, increased BMR and the rise of IGF-1 over time.

The increases in LBM from GH appear to be from its protein sparing effects coupled with its ability to stimulate protein synthesis.

The full text is available at this link for free! PLEASE go and read it!

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/endocrj1993/43/Suppl/43_Suppl_S57/_article

Under 200lbs for the first time in a long time.

Is it time to bulk again yet?!

2bfeafa2bdaf427c1f2c00f911c4b5e6.jpg

Brushing up on my Fortitude Training knowledge with my new customised shaker before hitting a Heavy Lower / Light Upper day with the Mrs. What a perfect day

1dfe2fd5038ac927d351f58ccfdc417a.jpg

Hitting some leg extensions to failure on day two of Fortitude Training!

d3dd19ee7f15eb11cce7b88243bd1403.jpg

Research shows high fat intake after aerobic training suppresses the signalling response associated with muscle protein synthesis when compared with low fat intake with protein intake matched.

If the study was recreated for resistance training then we could put it in a better context for our situation, but it at least gives us a clue as to why we should avoid high fat intake post-workout.

I personally like to stick to an easily digested protein source such as whey protein isolate, with a fast digesting carb source with low/zero fat content such as rice based cereals and bagels.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ses_p70S6K1_Activity_in_Human_Skeletal_Muscle

Incredible session today hitting some upper body Muscle Rounds!

028c2d26ebb73bba5f8fe7b77550ed62.jpg

This is a killer log! Thanks for all the great advice and you my man are a fning beast nice job!!!!:rocker::winkfinger:

I've been implementing weighted stretches after training each body part for the first time in the last fortnight. I love it so far! This calf stretch on the hack squat was a killer!

d8c28788f76d2ff0fb34472073350e81.jpg

Back