8 minute set training?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Question 8 minute set training?

I was reading an article about an Olympic style wrestler's leg routine that put on so much mass he had to stop because he went up 2 weight classes.

From what I understood he used 30% of his max weight the entire time and worked legs twice a week.

His routine started with 2 minutes of squats with slow drop and explosive ascent.

He would add 30 sec to his time each week up to 8 min at the 12 week mark.

After that he would do some leg extensions and curls and calf work each workout with standardish set/rep ranges (can't recall them)

From what I remember each of his legs was around the 38 inch mark

My son and I have been trying this, and are up to 4 min with some nice results so far. He is 15 and put 2 inches on his legs so far, and I'm 40 and added 1.5 inches.

My question is: Has anyone else done this to completion, and what were your results? Also, could this work with other compound movements (chest, back)? Anyone tried?

I'm just trying to get some responses to see if it would be worth pursuing a routine starting with an 8 min set for the major muscle worked that day.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Why 8 minutes?

Are you in a hurry?
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

~ HELP DESK ~

East of the Pacific. West of the Atlantic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Rep Points

Interesting read.. Love when new ideas like this come around and the ensuing debate that usually follows..

Welcome to IMF

Quote Originally Posted by orsk76 View Post
    I was reading an article about an Olympic style wrestler's leg routine that put on so much mass he had to stop because he went up 2 weight classes.

From what I understood he used 30% of his max weight the entire time and worked legs twice a week.

His routine started with 2 minutes of squats with slow drop and explosive ascent.

He would add 30 sec to his time each week up to 8 min at the 12 week mark.

After that he would do some leg extensions and curls and calf work each workout with standardish set/rep ranges (can't recall them)

From what I remember each of his legs was around the 38 inch mark

My son and I have been trying this, and are up to 4 min with some nice results so far. He is 15 and put 2 inches on his legs so far, and I'm 40 and added 1.5 inches.

My question is: Has anyone else done this to completion, and what were your results? Also, could this work with other compound movements (chest, back)? Anyone tried?

I'm just trying to get some responses to see if it would be worth pursuing a routine starting with an 8 min set for the major muscle worked that day.
    BadGas is a fictional character and all postings made by BadGas are for entertainment purposes only!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smoothy View Post
    Why 8 minutes?

Are you in a hurry?
    Not in a hurry at all.
    It's not one of those mass produced, money grabber 5 min abs or 3 min chest or however many seconds they are down to things.
    It's, what I would call, a timed set. A single exercise done as many times as possible increasing the time for progression instead of increasing weight.

Most of our workouts last 90 min or so, then another 15-30 min of HIIT for me while my son tries to do box jumps.
    For us the set is done first on leg concentration day and last on back concentration day, and even at just 4 minutes I end up crawling out of the rack.
    I generally get 40-50 out of the first 2 min and another 30 the second (with LOTS of deep breathing).
    70-80 squats with 115lbs doesn't feel fast to me, and it's only going to get longer.

The rest of our leg day generally includes deadlift, leg press, heavy sled, calf raises, glute ham raise, and a couple various back lifts.
    It's a bit much for my old, fat, broken body, but if I keep some of them lighter than ideal I can recover almost as fast as my kid does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BadGas View Post
    Interesting read.. Love when new ideas like this come around and the ensuing debate that usually follows..

Welcome to IMF
    Thank you for the welcome.
    I've been lurking for years.

I hope I can provide you with adequate entertainment material, and thought provoking comments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I found the article I read

https://www.t-nation.com/training/hu...-oak-leg-blast

I know some of you don't like T-Nation, but they have some good ideas sometimes.

I was wrong about his leg size it's only 34 inches instead of 38 (still humongous).

I also had the timing wrong its only 8 weeks instead of 12 and he was progressing 30 sec per workout for the second half of the routine.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Interesting!

Find top quality products, safe shipment and reliable service from here...
    Sales Rep: Caroline
    Wickr: Carolinechem

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/caroline.landmark.7

URL: http://www.landmarkchem.com/
    Email: sales01@landmarkchem.com
    Landmark Nutraceuticals Co., Limited