Thread: teachers unions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

teachers unions

totally serious question...

if a school under performs- spectacularly, should a union contract regarding pensions be honored?

I'm a firm believer that as a parent I'm responsible for the health, shelter,good nutrition, well being, enrichment, love, and good citizenship of my children and beyond some minor help (homework, tutoring,minor supplies) the school is responsible for their education according to my communities standards (notice I didnt say federal) and if they can't manage that- they shouldn't get paid and I sure as fuck shouldn't have to be taxed to death for their pension

and I don't mean at our kids local level- I have zero issue with our kids schools- they do a lot with very little and I think they deserve every penny of their pay and contractual agreement

tell me why I'm wrong

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Rep Points

You are not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SheriV View Post

if a school under performs- spectacularly, should a union contract regarding pensions be honored?

I'm a firm believer that as a parent I'm responsible for the health, shelter,good nutrition, well being, enrichment, love, and good citizenship of my children and beyond some minor help (homework, tutoring,minor supplies) the school is responsible for their education according to my communities standards (notice I didnt say federal) and if they can't manage that- they shouldn't get paid and I sure as fuck shouldn't have to be taxed to death for their pension

and I don't mean at our kids local level- I have zero issue with our kids schools- they do a lot with very little and I think they deserve every penny of their pay and contractual agreement

tell me why I'm wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

I wonder how that can be addressed without putting perfectly good teachers under attack/or on the defense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

It's not a matter of right or wrong it's a matter of perception.
    A teacher usually has about 6 years of college but their actually salary is low. The pension is how you attract a qualified smart person to come work for you instead of go get a job elsewhere for more money.
    Even more important the pension is why they stay!!
    I have a daughter and she will be going to public schools and I want the best teachers she can have. Some teachers may be horrible but most are exceptional. To penalize the good ones in one collective swoop is a good way to chase of talent.
    The school that underperformed is an issue and it needs to be understood why.
    An underperformed school is one where a certain amount of children fail to score high enough on standardized tests.
    So we can't be certain it's the teachers fault. In fact most of the time it really can't be the teachers fault.
    Teachers follow a strict curriculum and are evaluated several times throughout the year. If there evaluations are poor that's one thing but some of these schools have teachers doing well in their evaluation and yet the school underperformed. But with teaches not many variables...evaluations show all.

Let's say a school as 300 kids. And half don't hit the mark on the testing. Let's look at what happened to these 150 kids. Maybe 75 are just poor students with parents that don't care enough to sit with them every night when they have to do their homework.
    Alot of variables. So this is a good place to look for the breakdown.

In the concept of ownership where each individual takes ownership of the problem you will see things get fixed. But just blaming a teacher and literally stop paying them is no way to fix anything
    ..especially when the teacher followed the curriculum and standards that are set by the federal and state Dept of ed.

A note on pensions. The money goes into a fund and then gets heavily invested. These funds are big enough to create their own mini economy with the investments...that's a plus for the country.
    Teachers are taxpayers too. So they pay into the pensions.
    Pensions have been around nearly 80 years.
    A retired teacher collecting a pension won't be a burden on the system like someone with out a retirement plan.
    10 cents of every dollar goes to education... that is pathetic.

America tends to get on a high horse and show alot of pride and say we are the greatest...we do have it the best here. And we are great but we are no where near our potential when it comes to education.
    As citizens we should be challenging our politicians to building more schools hiring more teachers and making classes smaller! Instead of 10 make it 20 or 30 cents of every dollar pay for it.
    If they don't want to stop the vast amount of taxes going toward military then just increase taxes.
    I have no issue with higher taxes if it mean our nation's kids get a super education.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Rep Points

I'll another group of public service employees to this list. When a cop shoots someone for no reason and the department get sued, let the police officers pension fund pay that bill, not the taxpayers. I guarantee that will fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by first blood View Post
    It's not a matter of right or wrong it's a matter of perception.
    A teacher usually has about 6 years of college but their actually salary is low. The pension is how you attract a qualified smart person to come work for you instead of go get a job elsewhere for more money.
    Even more important the pension is why they stay!!
    I have a daughter and she will be going to public schools and I want the best teachers she can have. Some teachers may be horrible but most are exceptional. To penalize the good ones in one collective swoop is a good way to chase of talent.
    The school that underperformed is an issue and it needs to be understood why.
    An underperformed school is one where a certain amount of children fail to score high enough on standardized tests.
    So we can't be certain it's the teachers fault. In fact most of the time it really can't be the teachers fault.
    Teachers follow a strict curriculum and are evaluated several times throughout the year. If there evaluations are poor that's one thing but some of these schools have teachers doing well in their evaluation and yet the school underperformed. But with teaches not many variables...evaluations show all.

Let's say a school as 300 kids. And half don't hit the mark on the testing. Let's look at what happened to these 150 kids. Maybe 75 are just poor students with parents that don't care enough to sit with them every night when they have to do their homework.
    Alot of variables. So this is a good place to look for the breakdown.

In the concept of ownership where each individual takes ownership of the problem you will see things get fixed. But just blaming a teacher and literally stop paying them is no way to fix anything
    ..especially when the teacher followed the curriculum and standards that are set by the federal and state Dept of ed.

A note on pensions. The money goes into a fund and then gets heavily invested. These funds are big enough to create their own mini economy with the investments...that's a plus for the country.
    Teachers are taxpayers too. So they pay into the pensions.
    Pensions have been around nearly 80 years.
    A retired teacher collecting a pension won't be a burden on the system like someone with out a retirement plan.
    10 cents of every dollar goes to education... that is pathetic.

America tends to get on a high horse and show alot of pride and say we are the greatest...we do have it the best here. And we are great but we are no where near our potential when it comes to education.
    As citizens we should be challenging our politicians to building more schools hiring more teachers and making classes smaller! Instead of 10 make it 20 or 30 cents of every dollar pay for it.
    If they don't want to stop the vast amount of taxes going toward military then just increase taxes.
    I have no issue with higher taxes if it mean our nation's kids get a super education.

see-
    I dont know that I buy that- the average salary for teachers here is around 100k a yr gross but before benefits- our state has a lot of loan forgiveness and incentives for teachers education- not everywhere, but quite a lot
    for our particular district we score in the top 10% in the nation for public schools- three districts over from here the kids are barely literate
    I find this unacceptable- I pay my local taxes- our pto raises 100's of thousands a year-that I'm not a part of, those people are nuts- our sports are mostly parent funded
    why does anyone income tax have to go to someone that doesn't do their job three districts over tho? why are those teachers protected by a union? how is that not a breach of contract?
    and a masters degree is child's play here- stay at home mom's have that

I have 7 kids between my husband and I- blended family- 3 in college at the moment- 4 next fall- I'm intimately familiar how schools work
    my 2 oldest were fucked over because I was too stupid to realize the school system wasn't up to par- they struggled when we moved to a different district

I don't begrudge good teachers their salary or their job, but why is everyone in my state paying for bad teachers?
    Last edited by SheriV; 04-08-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

and as far as homework goes- and caring parents- our schools pulled homework three yrs ago for grades 5 and under- our scores went up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

oh...and our states teachers pension fund is about 26 million short on our budget-and were one of the most heavily taxed states in the country- so ya
    I'm questioning where that money goes
    that's pure mismanagement from the last three decades of government but there's a max exodus of young people from the state- so the economy won't get better anytime soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by hoyle21 View Post
    I'll another group of public service employees to this list. When a cop shoots someone for no reason and the department get sued, let the police officers pension fund pay that bill, not the taxpayers. I guarantee that will fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    right- personal liability and accountability
    this is what I'm getting at

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

oh and common core? no thanks- I'm tired of the stupid dragging down my kids

and I just looked- our town spends $15,280 per student per year. Of that $200 is tuition(student dues etc), $229 is federal dollars, $2,888 is from the state, $11,964 is from the town

the super bad district Im thinking of spends $19,342 per student per year and I know for a fact they have a district wide free after school program for homework tutoring, library etc $600 tuition, federal $1220, state $13,282 and town $4,240

I don't think more money fixes the problem
    Last edited by SheriV; 04-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Rep Points

schools underperform for a lot of reasons but most often its parental involvement or lack there of. in poorer districts parents are less involved. also in many places schools are funded by property tax - some places don't generate much revenue and then schools fall apart... hard to put it at the feet of teachers. maybe ought to be the district folks that take the hit. personal responsibility applies to parents and students as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

tell me why I'm wrong
    Teachers salary is or an average of 100k....that is wild misinformation. In this country there may be some teachers making close to 100k but that's in the wealthiest area and a teacher who has been work for 35 years and about to retire. I live in an expensive state where salaries are some of the highest in the country...a teacher makes about 65 to 85 after 15 or 20 years.
    But the average is way lower without starting salary in the 40s and 50s.

Same with cops and firemen...starting salary is in the 40s and it can take 10 to 15 years to hit top salary in some cases.

The reason why pension funds are short is because we had the financial problems in 2007/08...and those funds tool a big hit. Add to it that municipalities and state govts...stopped paying into the funds...

But funds are slowly climbing back and as long as the market stays strong they can build up again.
    No one remembers before 2007 finicial woes that alot of funds were over 100%

Although teachers unions made a mistake. When the funds were flush ...govt said hey guys since the funds is so fat let's all take a pension holiday... Government. Whitman of NJ did this. And she not only used the state share but also raided the pension and used that money to balance the budget!

Police and fire Union said Don't do it...keep paying in. Even the the government still took their holiday the police and fire kept paying in their share...that's right teachers firemen and police pay into their funds...so some of that is their money in that Pool. And they pay taxes..

Anyway if you compare these funds police and fire is at 86 % while teachers are at 52 %.....why? Because price and fire kept paying in...

So teachers made that mistake. But the govt allowed it.

So that leads up to how these funds work as part of the economic model we use. Your tax dollars get put into the pension along with the employee share..like a 401k...and gets invested in the market...wall Street is all over it. When the market does well there is a return that the state uses...that's your taxes coming back to you.

That's one reason pensions were created and allowed to begin with.
    Another reason is because they realized people don't save properly. It was a greater danger to society that people will retire and run out of savings and then the govt would have to take care of these people. That would be a great drain and burden on the tax payer.

Back 70 years ago people were encouraged to save their money..nowadays they are encouraged to spend. When they came up with pensions it was a product of the times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm actually looking at our town contract with our union- they are roughly 100k per year averaged out- a school district over has a gym coach making 182k a yr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm actually looking at our town contract with our union- they are roughly 100k per year averaged out- a school district over has a gym coach making 182k a yr
    Holy shit! Is that salary or salary plus benefits...incld. health insurance and what not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rep Points

and as a paramedic in mid 2000's I made roughly 70k a yr - to be fair I was in a munip and I pulled a lot of hours

don't lecture me about public service

our state cops starting salary fresh out of the academy is 65k but literally every cop I worked with made over 100k

I live in an expensive state so its likely your info is going to be different than my info