Lean ground beef

TEAM AY

Rep Points

Thumbs up Lean ground beef

Not sure about where you're at, but where I live the leanest ground beef I could find was 93% lean. Until now that is.

Tonight I was at my regular super and they started stocking 96% lean ground beef! A 4 oz serving (raw) has 140 kcal, 24g protein, and 4.5g of fat. That works out to 29% calories from fat. Compare that to the 93% with 170 kcal, 26g protein, and 8g of fat for the same 4 oz serving, which derives 42% of its calories from fat.

Of course I tried some tonight for dinner, and it tastes great

Rep Points

I get my ground sirloin from the local butcher and I literally pic out the piece of sirloin I want grounded. He cuts all the visible fat and then grinds it for me. Its not cheap but its the leanest around and the tastiest.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

DOWNSIZING
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Re: Lean ground beef

Originally posted by JerseyPaul
    Not sure about where you're at, but where I live the leanest ground beef I could find was 93% lean. Until now that is.

Tonight I was at my regular super and they started stocking 96% lean ground beef! A 4 oz serving (raw) has 140 kcal, 24g protein, and 4.5g of fat. That works out to 29% calories from fat. Compare that to the 93% with 170 kcal, 26g protein, and 8g of fat for the same 4 oz serving, which derives 42% of its calories from fat.

Of course I tried some tonight for dinner, and it tastes great
    96% is hard to come by, but gold when you find it. Another tip to further reduce the fat by a few grams: Immediately after cooking ground beef ina pan, pour into a strainer and run HOT water over the beef. This will reduce the fat count tremendously as well
    Leslie
    My Journal
    My Sponsor:www.AvantLabs.com

Back to reality

Rep Points

I always cook my lean ground beef by almost boiling it, then rinsing it in a strainer, to get rid of more fat. A meat cutter recommended it to me!

Back to reality

Rep Points

Re: Re: Lean ground beef

Originally posted by Leslie
    96% is hard to come by, but gold when you find it. Another tip to further reduce the fat by a few grams: Immediately after cooking ground beef ina pan, pour into a strainer and run HOT water over the beef. This will reduce the fat count tremendously as well
    I guess great minds think alike!

DOWNSIZING
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Re: Re: Re: Lean ground beef

Originally posted by Jill
    I guess great minds think alike!
    Leslie
    My Journal

INK NOT MINK
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I make the ground beef as patties and grill them, and I see the fat dripping

Fighting Endometriosis

Rep Points

I do the same thing as Leslie and Jill. I purchase Laura's lean beef. It's awsome. Steak, hamburger etc...

4oz. 160 Calories. Calories from fat: 80
    14%total fat
    21% cholesterol
    3%Sodium
    0% Carb
    21 gr. protien
    20% Iron
    Don't hate the player, hate the game!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/...the%20wave.GIF
    Before you talk about what you want - appreciate what you have.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gwcaton/s...ctures/tmf.jpg
    A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband. -Honore de Balzac
    Desire+Consistency='s RESULTS

DOWNSIZING
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Laura's lean is great. She even has a steak line in some stores. Her top round steak only has 4.5 g fat as opposed to regular store bought's 7g
    Leslie
    My Journal

Fighting Endometriosis

Rep Points

I get pissed off though when they're out of stock. Everytime I go in the store I purchase it all. If I don't by the time I'm ready to get more, it's all gone and the shipment won't be coming for a while. Anyway. Had it happen, ticked me off. Now, I eliminate it and stock up. Especially when I'm preparing for a comp.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/...the%20wave.GIF
    Before you talk about what you want - appreciate what you have.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gwcaton/s...ctures/tmf.jpg
    A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband. -Honore de Balzac
    Desire+Consistency='s RESULTS

TEAM AY

Rep Points

Originally posted by Leslie
    Great tip Leslie. BTW, where in Jersey are you? I'm close to Philly. ShopRite is the food chain that just started stocking their own label 96% lean.

-Paul

Rep Points

I was glad to read some of the above because I thought that I was the only one to get really peed off when the store only has 90% lean vs. 95% lean, I never buy the former and always insist on the latter and even moan to the guys in the store & often get them to go & check the storeroom etc..

nice to read comments from like minded folks

P/RR/Sh Warrior

Rep Points

96% is hard to come by, but gold when you find it.
    wow, that sucks, thats all i have if i dont have bison!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.prrstraining.com Time to GROW Without Plateau!