Bad Ass
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    719 Posts
    Rep Points

Arrow Is Age in Fitness JUST a Number?

by Christian Duque At a recent competition I covered, I met a woman who was extremely fit, attractive, and who competed actively throughout the circuit. Not only did she compete often, but she was an IFBB Pro League Pro. Now, when I first saw her, she told me she was older, so I was already

Read More...

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post
    by Christian Duque At a recent competition I covered, I met a woman who was extremely fit, attractive, and who competed actively throughout the circuit. Not only did she compete often, but she was an IFBB Pro League Pro. Now, when I first saw her, she told me she was older, so I was already

Read More...
    I'd like to see her.. I agree that how fit you are and how you eat makes a huge difference in how you look as well as what you can do as you age; I'm 66 and I have friends who look much older and act even older than they look. But I also know that being fit at 28 is nothing like being fit at 66 it's a relative thing, if I look at what I lift for my age I'm bordering on elite, if I compare to a 28 year old, I'm not even up to average.

The other part of all this that is not talked about much is genetics; you have to have the genetics; if you don't have the genes, you can work yourself to death and get very little results. I always think about Jim Fixx; if you know who he is; he was a distance runner, rail thin, ate right etc. died of a heart attack at 52. He knew he had bad genes; his father died very young so he wanted to live so as to negate the genes. It can't be done, you may change things a little, but your genes determine like 95% of what your going to be. To quote a Doc I know well; you can smoke like a smoke stack, eat fatty foods and sit on the couch and if you have good genes you're going to out live Jim Fixx. The point is we have a certain amount we can control, but the majority we do not control. I'm betting that woman has some really great genes to go with her eating and exercise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Rep Points

I've known people who smoked their whole life and never get lung cancer. I also know those who never smoked and get lung cancer. Some things are just tricky. I learned from eastern philosophies that a lot of things are just in our heads. Kind of like mind power stuff. A woman whose adrenaline kicked in to lift a car up off her child. The mind is very powerful and should be well guarded.