ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rep Points

Day 6 post op

Well it's 6 days since surgery to repair left arm triceps tendon rupture:

I went back to work today and feel pretty good. No real pain and even right after the surgery surprisingly little pain. Left arm in a splint to immobilize it for two weeks and then the PT starts.

Just be careful, it's so easy to cause a serious injury. And there's no do over, there is the long recovery road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Rep Points

Damn. Be careful not to re injure. Keep us updated on how it goes.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rep Points

Went to the Doc today, had the splint and stitches removed. The wound was bigger than I inagined, but no real pain. I have 30 degrees of movement I need to get back as in bending my elbow toward my chest. The PT guy says no problem we'll get 10 degrees a week. No stress on anything in that arm for the next month. After that I can slowly start the rebuilding process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rep Points

!!! Care should be taken until it is perfectly okay.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Wilson View Post
    !!! Care should be taken until it is perfectly okay.
    Great care being taken. I got the graduation ok from the surgeon two weeks ago, he doesn't want to see me again! He said for the next 6 weeks limit your weights to about 70% of your max lift. No problem, keeping the weight well under 70% of max, but doing 25 reps and 4 sets on each exercise working all the upper body areas since I didn't work those since last January. It's coming back much faster than I had dared to hope; trainer says it because of muscle memory.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by solidassears View Post
    Great care being taken. I got the graduation ok from the surgeon two weeks ago, he doesn't want to see me again! He said for the next 6 weeks limit your weights to about 70% of your max lift. No problem, keeping the weight well under 70% of max, but doing 25 reps and 4 sets on each exercise working all the upper body areas since I didn't work those since last January. It's coming back much faster than I had dared to hope; trainer says it because of muscle memory.
    Congrats for the graduation!

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Wilson View Post
    Congrats for the graduation!
    Thanks! It feels great! First time in years no elbow pain! After this week I can start lifting heavy again! Yay!

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks! It feels great! First time in years no elbow pain! After this week I can start lifting heavy again! Yay!
    Welcome!
    Please, carry on! Thanks!

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Rep Points

Wow that looks nasty. How did it happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Rep Points

Yikes...and I myself hope never have to get an injury like that ever even at my age.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by REHH View Post
    Wow that looks nasty. How did it happen?
    The whole thing is a bit long... I had a bone spur in that elbow, went to see the ortho doc and he gave me a shot of cortisone saying that sometimes that will knock the inflammation down enough that the tendon will develop scar tissue and be OK. And it also stopped the pain I'd had for years in the elbow.. So I was moving furniture thinking all was great, no pain feeling great. I pushed a big china hutch with my left arm trying to move it a few inches and POP! The tendon ruptured; hurt like a mofo! I was lucky it wasn't a complete rupture, I broke about 60-70%, but had enough left so that I had use of the arm. That was Dec 24.. surgery was Feb 26. I'm pretty well back to where I was before, this next week I'll start lifting heavy again, been doing 4 sets of 25 reps for the past month.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    Yikes...and I myself hope never have to get an injury like that ever even at my age.
    You don't want that at any age! It is a bit rare for an old guy to rupture that tendon, it's usually football linemen or big time body builders etc. It is usually a very strong tendon, mine was weakened by the spur and years of trying to lift through the pain and get it to heal up.. A bad idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Rep Points

The whole thing is a bit long... I had a bone spur in that elbow, went to see the ortho doc and he gave me a shot of cortisone saying that sometimes that will knock the inflammation down enough that the tendon will develop scar tissue and be OK. And it also stopped the pain I'd had for years in the elbow.. So I was moving furniture thinking all was great, no pain feeling great. I pushed a big china hutch with my left arm trying to move it a few inches and POP! The tendon ruptured; hurt like a mofo! I was lucky it wasn't a complete rupture, I broke about 60-70%, but had enough left so that I had use of the arm. That was Dec 24.. surgery was Feb 26. I'm pretty well back to where I was before, this next week I'll start lifting heavy again, been doing 4 sets of 25 reps for the past month.
    You must have had a shitty ortho that first time and those injections hide things and actually damage the joint more. Good thing this ortho saw the problem and fixed it so hopefully this time it will be better and give you years more pain-free.

I myself have a bone spur but in the shoulder and now I feel it more when lifting so yes it's time for me to get to an ortho to get it removed before it causes more damage.Been too proud to even consider surgery till now...even 50 years later.

Just be careful from now on.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    You must have had a shitty ortho that first time and those injections hide things and actually damage the joint more. Good thing this ortho saw the problem and fixed it so hopefully this time it will be better and give you years more pain-free.

Just be careful from now on.
    It's the same ortho and he told me the cortisone would weaken the tendon some, but there was a chance I could get it to make enough scar tissue that surgery would not be needed. He also said one injection only.. it was a bit of a gamble, but I thought it was worth a chance. Turns out had to get the surgery anyway. I probably did most of the damage by refusing to stop lifting when it hurt thinking it would get better. I was doing 90 pound skull crushers and after three it would start hurting, but I'm always push for one or two more. That was my bad idea and it did more harm, so I can't blame him for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Rep Points

It's the same ortho and he told me the cortisone would weaken the tendon some, but there was a chance I could get it to make enough scar tissue that surgery would not be needed. He also said one injection only.. it was a bit of a gamble, but I thought it was worth a chance. Turns out had to get the surgery anyway. I probably did most of the damage by refusing to stop lifting when it hurt thinking it would get better. I was doing 90 pound skull crushers and after three it would start hurting, but I'm always push for one or two more. That was my bad idea and it did more harm, so I can't blame him for that.
    Definitely a hard lesson learned and I am wary of getting those shots myself, even with my old knees and elbows screaming.