• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

cardio/muscle loss

brennan

Focused
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
alright I've neglected cardio for too long bcs. i was always in shape endurance wise and thought i'd lose weight when i was trying to gain. well i feel out of shape running wise and want to start up again. wat do u recommend i do? i want to gain my endurance back and trip a little fat off of my stomach. i dont however want to lose any weight/muscle anywhere else? 20 min. a few times a week post workout w/ abs do the trick? thanks.

Eat a healthy diet and low volume Cardio.

I have had success with shorter, more intense cardio sessions like HIIT and MaxOT. In order to prevent muscle loss, your nutrition has to be in order. I bracket my intense cardio sessions with whey protein (24 grms.), dextrose (15 grms.), creatine 2.5 grms. & glutamine 5 grms. This protects muscle loss.

NaturalGuy -- I studied one of my friends before his competition and one week into doing cardio (cause he thought he wasn't lean enough) he started losing muscle. He was doing the HIIT. He lost about 6pounds. That 6lbs really looked like a lot.

Brennan -- I would be careful. If you don't care about how much muscle you lose, then I would do HIIT with Cardio and a healthy diet. If you care about every ounce of muscle you have, take it slow. I'm not talking GRANNY slow. Just a moderate level of cardio. NaturalGuy is correct when he says your nutrition has to be in order. You can do all the cardio in the world, and if you're not eating right, you'll just be maintaining what you already have. Study your body and research the odds.

If you work pretty hard in the weight room, could you drop a little fat just by walking for 30 min or so after a workout, or right when you get up?

I do HIIT

I have whey and oats before

and then whey and maltodextrin after

lowered my BF% from 13.7% to 11% in 2 weeks

a lil worried about muscle loss though, but i'm at my strongest right now, so i'm happy to an extent

my diet/training and everything is better than ever right now (I'd say mainly thanks to this site), can't wait to get back on the creatine and the high carb foods, I feel I'm really gonna make some mega progress in the next few months

peace

What about just walking, or power walking for about 30 min or so after a workout, or in the morning?

Originally posted by nikegurl
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6645&highlight=closet+cardio

you might want to check this thread out.

That study probably doesn't apply here as it was done on obese women. I assume ( I know that can get me in trouble ) that most people on here are bodybuilders, fitness, figure athletes and people that are exercising regularly.

I have gotten extremely lean using traditional cardio as well as shorter more intense sessions. The shorter more intense sessions happen to be more effecient. In other words I can get the same results in less time.

people here have gotten extremely lean (stepping on stage for bb and fitness) with no cardio until the very end and even then only doing very small amounts. (both men and women)

i know some experts swear by cardio and some say they don't believe in it at all for bodybuilders.

something we'll all have to experiment with and try for ourselves i guess. ;)

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by naturalguy
I have had success with shorter, more intense cardio sessions like HIIT and MaxOT. I

what is HIIT and MaxOT?

Originally posted by brennan
what is HIIT and MaxOT?

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. It is alternating high intensity and lower intensity while doing cardio. For example if you are on a treadmill, you would do 1 minute sprint alternate with 1 minute walking.

MaxOT cardio is high intensity all out cardio for 16 minutes. Here is link http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=97

Both of these are great at raising your metabolism although they are both tough and intense.

i am obese i am absolutely HUGE.

now, can i do 30 mins of cardio a day?, after i lift and eat perfectly, or will i lose my muscle? whats the max amount of cardio someone who is obese should do? i really want to be thin, , i will worry about bulk later.

Originally posted by FatGuy
i am obese i am absolutely HUGE.

now, can i do 30 mins of cardio a day?, after i lift and eat perfectly, or will i lose my muscle? whats the max amount of cardio someone who is obese should do? i really want to be thin, , i will worry about bulk later.

Yes, I would absolutly do 30min of cardio after your weight training if I were you. Someone that is obese and severly deconditioned NEEDS to do cardio inorder to get in some sort of cardiovascular heath......It is not an option here and I disagree 100% with anyone on this board that tells you that you need to not do any cardio and just worry about your diet. You need all three.......weights, cardio and diet. Someone that is deconditioned has to get their endurance up, not only to weight train more effecintly, but to improve their quality of life. Once you start to lean out and get into better overal shape you can think about decreasing your cardio. Just my 2 cents.

OKay, P-funk is ducking out of this thread. I refuse to get into the great cardio debate.

peace,
patrick

Originally posted by P-funk
Yes, I would absolutly do 30min of cardio after your weight training if I were you. Someone that is obese and severly deconditioned NEEDS to do cardio inorder to get in some sort of cardiovascular heath......It is not an option here and I disagree 100% with anyone on this board that tells you that you need to not do any cardio and just worry about your diet. You need all three.......weights, cardio and diet. Someone that is deconditioned has to get their endurance up, not only to weight train more effecintly, but to improve their quality of life. Once you start to lean out and get into better overal shape you can think about decreasing your cardio. Just my 2 cents.

OKay, P-funk is ducking out of this thread. I refuse to get into the great cardio debate.

peace,
patrick
I agree here Funky. The overweight & obese should do more cardio than someone that is leaner. :p

im doing 6-7 days of 30 mins a week, and you are right my endurance is getting better! thanks for your reply.

Cardio or no cardio

I've read that cardio CAN make you lose muscle. I've myself started doing A LOT LESS cardio. I also understand that nutrition plays a major role in whether you'll gain or lose muscle. So with proper nutrition, some cardio is probably ok. But I do find that when I do a ton of cardio, I do lose weight and I think muscle.:(

When you do cardio be sure to adjust your calories appropriatly.

Back