• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cutting weight for ameet

juggernaut

Creator of Chaos
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I wrote a previous blog post on how to gain weight for a meet. Now we discuss weight loss.

You have 13 weeks until your next meet. You?ve been on a mad tear to eat more and get stronger. It worked. Now you need to ?make weight? for your weight class without losing strength, or keeping the loss of strength to a minimum. In physique sports, it?s a given that at the end of your prep, you will most likely feel like shit, you will lose strength and be in a continuous state of feeling hungry.

In powerlifting it's different. You made sizable gains on the bar because you?ve been eating more and as expected the pounds crept up. Now you need to make your desired weight class and have 12 or more pounds to lose. If you?ve gotten heavier than 20 pounds forget about making your weight class. You?ll lose too much strength.

This will require some work. This is the simplest advice I can offer you and it has worked for individuals that have lost 40-80 pounds. It works so well in the past, that one of my clients has lost close to 80 pounds in 6 months. Obviously results can vary.

Week 13
At the beginning of week 13, track all of your food. I have said to have a successful diet, you need to establish a baseline of what you?re eating. Use FatSecret or MyFitnessPal. Track everything for five days, starting on a Monday.

Week 12:
Deduct 10% of your overall calories. As the weight comes off, you'll need to adjust calories, so deduct 3-5% off carbs and only 5 grams off of fats.

Protein

For ease of math, stick with a gram of protein times your bodyweight. That doesn't change for the duration of the diet. This is even more important since you are trying to hold on to both muscle mass and strength. You can even go as high as 1.2 grams. If you eat too much protein, that?s okay. You almost never get fat eating too much protein. In fact I would encourage it for the simple reason of helping you feeling fuller, making you less prone to overeat.

Carbs
This is one of the macronutrients that we will manipulate.

You need carbs. I strongly discourage anyone trying a ketogenic diet that is looking to keep their strength gains. It?s a foolish move. If you are bodybuilder or physique sport competitor than I see its value, but for powerlifting, keep the carbs in.

Now that we have established the need for carbs, we will only use them around the workout. During the other times of the day, berries and fiber-loaded vegetables will be the main source.

You?ll eat them around your training.

Multiply 1.2g x your bodyweight. Let's say you're 200 lbs
240g will be your carb intake.
Two or three hours before training commences, take in 20 grams of a starchy, slow digesting carb. Brown rice, white rice, potatoes, yams, quinoa, and oatmeal are but a few good choices. Add in your equally distributed amount of protein and a small amount of fats. I like a pat of butter and a potato.

1 hour before training, take in another 30 grams of carbs, either presweetened cereal, white rice or potatoes without the skin. Next to little fiber in this meal, no fats and a small amount of protein, 2 ounces of a whole protein food source at the most. I don't care what you have, but keep it at 10-15 grams.
Right after your training is completed, take in 20-40g of protein, either eggs whites or whey. One hour later, have your final serving of starchy carbs of 20g with a fibrous vegetable and your choice of whole food protein and fats.

For a 200 pound individual, that?s 90g over a period of 6 hours, and your energy hasn?t dissipated. If you weigh more or less, make the adjustments with your weight and caloric intake.

The rest of your day?s carbs should come in from fibrous vegetables and berries. Just remember to equal out the given 120g grams of carbohydrates, and protein should remain equally distributed in all meals, unless it?s your preworkout.

Fats
The reminder of your calories will be in the form of fats. Be aware of hidden fats in foods, as your total calorie count can creep up and you may exceed your given calorie intake. You're going to need to make sure you?ve accounted for all foods on week 13. Try to pre-plan what you're going to eat and make sure you have it available.
Weigh yourself twice a week. Average out the numbers. As the weight plateaus, you?ll only deduct 5g of fats from your fat intake. We only need to drop a small amount of calories to tip the scale in the right direction. Don?t make the mistake of deducting too many calories.

The rest days

Make it easy on yourself. Cut your carbs in half on your rest days. Have the bulk of your carbs in the later part of the day so that you sleep better, because carbs will release serotonin to make you feel sleepy and because if you train in the morning, you have some glycogen in your system.

Finally, the best way to not require a diet plan is to not get fat at all. Stick with the end weight after your meet and allow a 5-10 pound window of weight gain only. Your body will adjust to the new calorie intake and you?ll slowly get stronger over time.. If you gain too much weight get back to tracking your macros.

Good info......thanks

Back