• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Measuring Meat

Rocco32

UNLEASH THE BEAST
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Do you measure how much meat weighs before or after you cook it?

Depends on what kind of meat your talking about. :shrug:

Top round Steak, Ground Turkey, Flounder.

Umm check out fitday. I don't know how much it weighs but the macros are different from cooked to raw. I know that 3.5 oz. of Ground Turkey cooked is the same as 5 oz. Raw. Steak in general is 5 oz. raw = 4 oz. cooked. Thats just from research and I did before and found it somewhere and I just have it memorized by now. :shrug: Sorry

No, that's great. Thanks for the lead Jodi!

I usually just cook a bunch of meat and then mesaure it after it's cooked.

But is that the correct way? If your counting and measuring Macros, then to be accurate you need to weight either before or after cooking. I might have to do as Jodi suggests and look into each individual meat.

It makes sense that things will weigh less after cooking...and that would make me think that overall size and therefore calories would be reduced as well. It's not like if something gets lighter then the calories stay in there, after all.

But when you read the nutrient list of some meat packages, it says to weigh before cooking, and that is what you get after cooking. But some don't say anything. Does that make sense?

Originally posted by rock4832
Do you measure how much meat weighs before or after you cook it?

I track my diet based on after-cooking measurements. I have a handy little food scale, but I have used it so much I can pretty much eyeball how much 5 oz meat is.

I too do after cooking. Its like rice you dont weigh the rice pre cooked. As well all know it fluffs. if you ate a half cup of un cooked rice you would actually end up with like 2-3 cups of fluffed rice.

( Hope that made sense..)

Originally posted by rock4832
But is that the correct way? If your counting and measuring Macros, then to be accurate you need to weight either before or after cooking. I might have to do as Jodi suggests and look into each individual meat.

I think either way could be correct. You can use sites like fitday to calculate the macros and already cooked meat.

Back