Increasing arm strength

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rep Points

Increasing arm strength

The more I have read on the subject of increasing arm stregth, therefore arm size, the more strange it seems to be. Many people swear by the process of elimainating arm training all together, thier arm strength increases significantly. By doing heavy compound exercises such as flat bench,weighted dips,weighted pull ups, bent rows and even squats. My question is, has anyone actually practiced this type of training. Physically done it, not read about, heard about but practiced this training discipline.?????? If so what kind of results did you get??.

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

perfect timing, i just read a great article on this...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dober3.htm

doesn't this seem like it would work pretty well?
    Are you kidding me????

Rep Points

i believe direct arm work is necessary to really grow those arms.. doin pullups, rows, presses is nice but not sufficient.. i do feel that you cannot get big arms without compounds

is bulking

Rep Points

I honestly don't think you'd gain much arm strength and mass without directly training them, and isolating the arms. Plus I love getting my arms pumped to hell, feels great!
    These are my favorite faces : - - -

Personal Bests:

Bench - 235
    Deadlift - 315 X 17
    Squat - 315 X 11
    40 yrd. - 4.65

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

well, I got what I was told was, 'golfers elbow' and have a hard time doing direct bicep work. The only stimulant I get is from my back work..and my bis' suck. More or less. just my .02 worth
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I need direct work for everything.

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

well, I've been working out my '3rd leg' for years..and it isn't getting any bigger...

but seriously, go for the direct stimulation, as mudge stated.
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i only do 3 exercises each except for forearm were i do 2. i agree that you need direct stim for them to grow.

Bearded Attacker

Rep Points

everyone is trying to get out of working out every part. if you want your muscles to grow, you gotta fry 'em at the gym. Just shut up and lift!

Rep Points

Well thank you for your expert advice Freeman. By looking at your pics I can tell you are obviously hardcore who works every body part.Shut up and lift eh???. Fuck whatever.
    Hell Week is only 6 months away.

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

spartan... dude.... did you read that article? it's VERY good for what you are asking...
    Are you kidding me????

Rep Points

Yes I did Mayo..it was an article just like the one you posted that got me thinking along those lines, I have been lifting now for close to ten years, serious strength training for about 5. I feel that by upping the strength of my arms all other lifts will increase and the articles we read seemed to enforce those ideas. Well I'll give it a shot and tell you what I think. hey how is that transdermal workin out for ya???.

Bearded Attacker

Rep Points

Originally posted by spartan
    Well thank you for your expert advice Freeman. By looking at your pics I can tell you are obviously hardcore who works every body part.Shut up and lift eh???. Fuck whatever.
    Wow, way to be a complete fucking asshole. Lighten up man. I NEVER once claimed to be an expert. But, I do however have opinions based on lots of research and studying I've done on training, nutrition, etc. I realize I'm no where near the shape of many others, but I am making an effort. I only recently began lifting seriously again, so I have much to improve on. I never claimed to be hardcore, I just told your dumb-ass to shut up and lift and quit trying to get out of doing it. I'm not trying to pick a fight here man, I can be completely cool with you, as long as you show some respect. My comments were meant to be humorous, you on the other hand seem to resort to pettiness and cheap-shots. that's fucking lame dude.

Rep Points

Listen you little puke, I'm not interested in your pathetic advice or your "humorous" comments. If I wanted advice on how to look like a sack you would be the first I would contact. I on the other hand don't recall any reason to give you respect so lets leave at that.Have your little boo-hoo get it out and fuck off.

Bearded Attacker

Rep Points

You're a complete dipshit and you make it obvious with everything you say.

Rep Points

right on buddy!

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Re: Increasing arm strength

Originally posted by Freeman
    everyone is trying to get out of working out every part. if you want your muscles to grow, you gotta fry 'em at the gym. Just shut up and lift!

that is an accurrate answer freeman, of course you have to train them for their size to increase. you don't have tpo be an expert to understand that concept. And spartan I really think that you are overreacting bro, freeman wasn't trying to knock you I, assume. If you are gonna react like that when you get an answer to your question then you aren't gonna get many people to help you. You need to relax man. Indirect contact is not intense enough to induce hypertophy when you are in shape, so unless you are a power lifter and you don't give a shit if you actually grow and you just want to gain strength then go ahead and skip your arm training. otherwise you ain't gonna get big guns by accident or by pussy footing around your training which is the point he was making. Oh and by the way Spartan, regarding this statement...

Originally posted by spartan
    The more I have read on the subject of increasing arm stregth, therefore arm size,

Strength and size are not necessarily correlated man. They are two different goals and generally should be approashed differently. taht is important to understand when asking a question like this. hope that helps

Rep Points

So what your saying in essence is there is no relation to muscle size and muscle strength. Really, I think you should go back and research that a little. I don't feel that I'm overreacting at all, I don't like his smug, snide comments so I said exactly what I was thinking. I also feel that I don't need anyone to tell me I'm trying to get out of training when that is what I get paid to do is train. I wanted peoples imput not a half baked motivational speech.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

that is not what I am sayign at all, read my post bud. I said that there is not a DIRECT CORRELATION, re read it and then comment. I have done more research than you can imagine pal, I am trying to help you but if you are gonna be a bitch then no one is gonna help you. I dare you test my knowledge bro. just because you are strong that doesn't mean hypertophy. there are plenty of BBs out there that are not nearley as strong as they look and visa versa. Strength training is totally different than bodybuilding, but you would no that being the expert you must be to be calling out everyone that tries to help you. I was polite to you in my post even though you were being an asshoel to freeman but you got an attitiude problem man. If you no it all that why are you asking questions?? You are a trainer, no wonder the trainers area joke out there. you don't even know that strength and size are different, and you think tat your muscles are gonn aget bigger by not training them directly. ha ha. get a clue pal.

Rep Points

i believe that if you do compound movements like dips, heavy cleans and presses, deadlifts, weighted pullups and rows, heavy barbell curls you will get big arms because they are forced to grow with the rest of your entire body. do you guys agree with me? you dont need all the isolation unless you want the definition and stuff. right?

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

Originally posted by gr81
    that is not what I am sayign at all, read my post bud. I said that there is not a DIRECT CORRELATION, re read it and then comment. I have done more research than you can imagine pal, I am trying to help you but if you are gonna be a bitch then no one is gonna help you. I dare you test my knowledge bro. just because you are strong that doesn't mean hypertophy. there are plenty of BBs out there that are not nearley as strong as they look and visa versa. Strength training is totally different than bodybuilding, but you would no that being the expert you must be to be calling out everyone that tries to help you. I was polite to you in my post even though you were being an asshoel to freeman but you got an attitiude problem man. If you no it all that why are you asking questions?? You are a trainer, no wonder the trainers area joke out there. you don't even know that strength and size are different, and you think tat your muscles are gonn aget bigger by not training them directly. ha ha. get a clue pal.
    .....and there you have it.

if you know so much, why do you need to ask questions? if you don't want input, don't ask questions.

try not training your arms and see if they get stronger. it may work for some, but not many people. but i figured you already knew that......
    You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. Dat's why I'm going to kill you lahst.

* Got juice?*Need Motivation?*How to Train*
    *Arnold vs. Ronnie vs. Haney vs. Sergio*
    *YEAH BUDDY...LIGHT WEIGHT!*Ahhnold*

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

Originally posted by swordfish
    i believe that if you do compound movements like dips, heavy cleans and presses, deadlifts, weighted pullups and rows, heavy barbell curls you will get big arms because they are forced to grow with the rest of your entire body. do you guys agree with me? you dont need all the isolation unless you want the definition and stuff. right?
    your arms arent gonna grow as much as you think if you're doing any of the above exercises correctly. if you do say pullups, sure you're arms will grow if you focus on using your arms, but that's hurt your lat dev. and strength. therefore, it works the other way also. if you focus on squeezing your lats (like your supposed to do), then your bi's don't get as much stimulation, therefore, they don't grow as much.

why do you think many people have lagging chests? its not that they don't train chest enough (shit, when i go the gym, no matter what day of the week, chest, and bi's are the most popular bp worked), its that they don't do the exer. correctly. they use too much anterior delts and tri's, they don't do it correctly and feel their pecs squeezing like your supposed to........
    You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. Dat's why I'm going to kill you lahst.

* Got juice?*Need Motivation?*How to Train*
    *Arnold vs. Ronnie vs. Haney vs. Sergio*
    *YEAH BUDDY...LIGHT WEIGHT!*Ahhnold*

Bearded Attacker

Rep Points

thanks gr81, I knew you had my back bud

He says I am smug, that's ridiculous. We are all like a family around here, and we joke around all the time. If he is so insecure that he can't take a little joke, then he shouldn't post here. With someone so quick to be defensive, he probably has short man syndrome.

Rep Points

I never once implied that I was a trainer or said I was trainer did I . I said I get paid to train. Before you have even gotten out of bed I have already ran 5 to 10 Miles. Look I'm not going to waste my time with this shit. Yea Gr8 your a pro, full of advice so why not post a pic of yourself so I can see all that knowledge personified??. It figures the dope head and the skinny nerd protecting eachother. Later this shit is over

Bearded Attacker

Rep Points

so, you equate size to knowledge eh? Like I said, you show us your ignorance with each post man.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by swordfish

definition is not acheived by using smaller exercises, it is acheived by losing body fat. building muscle is building muscle, toning in that sense is a myth bro. bodybuilding and regular weight training are the same thing, the only difference is intensity level and dedication, but the concepts are the same. makes sense sword.

Originally posted by Freeman
    thanks gr81, I knew you had my back bud
    Hey Freeman. you know how it is bro, this guy is a clown that is ready to snap at anyone and everyone and make assumptions about people like I am a skinny nerd and you are a dope head. thats funny, go ahead and assume, I have seen your pic, what are you 200 soakin wet with hella BF, you ain't shit. you got a long way to go before you can speak on me spartan. Oh and you said, and I quote "i get paid to train." going off that comment it is pretty common to assume that you train, that is not my bad, it is yours. next time clarify yourself before you jump on people. And if you knew shit then you would know that running 10 miles is horrible for preserving muscle mass, but go ahead and keep doing that.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I'm glad I dont run into people like this at my gym.

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

what a drama fest... i wish this thread to fall of the page

**concentrates hard**

**tosses a quarter in the fountain**

**blows out all the candles**

**rubs the rabbit foot**

**kisses the blarney stone**

**throws salt over his shoulder**
    Are you kidding me????

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

dammit... why did i freakin post i just knocked it to the top... BLEH!!!!

Are you kidding me????

Rep Points

then what arm routine would you guys recommend to me that i can get bigger arms or should i just stick to compound movements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast