NapsGear.net

I thought I was a man....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I thought I was a man....

till i got done squatting today and realised I am not fit for the title...

I've never had an exercise kick my ass like that... I seriously thought i was going to puke after 3 sets of 15... (i won't tell you the weight, it was low)
    Are you kidding me????

Carl Mccoy Wannabe

Rep Points

Squats have made many women widows for that very reason.
    Carl McCoy wannabe.

Rep Points

Originally posted by vanity
    Squats have made many women widows for that very reason.

window is somehow a big hole..

squat gonna make u hot...believe it or not

Rep Points

lol he said widow didn't he?

not a window

Rep Points

lol.. window? haha.. squats kills me everytime also.. good work man

Rep Points

i need to see doctor..gosh

i thought in different way . sry everyone

squat always take 100% of my guts...becoz i intentionally work out like that...

UNLEASH THE BEAST
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Don't sweat it man! At least your doing it. I can't do squats except on the Smith Machine and even with that I don't look forward to leg day. I have larger legs, but I can't squat diddly!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain...

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

How come you "cant" do squats?

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

my thighs and calves and butt are all sore today... you think i should wait a week to do squats again?
    Are you kidding me????

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

also, i noticed there is a hack squat machine at the gym too... how does that vary from the traditional squat?
    Are you kidding me????

UNLEASH THE BEAST
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by Mudge
    How come you "cant" do squats?
    Because I can't go that low. My ankles aren't flexible or something or my legs are too long but something doesn't work right when I try squats. So I do them on the Smith and can put my feet further forward so I can get more of a deep squat.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain...

The One, The Only...

Rep Points

Squats kick my ass too man.

I don't know if it is because I am taller or what but I just can't increase my numbers on that damn exercise and one of the few exercises where I have to take a fairly long rest (maybe 2-3 mins) between sets.
    "Listen to your mind, and don't let the educated brain get in the way. You have an inner intelligence which always directs you in the right way. Learn to respect and listen to your inner self."

- Franco Columbu

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Just because your taller doesn't mean you cant do it, so maybe something is up with your ankles, I have no idea. I'm 6'2" and can do squats but yes they are a bitch.

Honestly I use the hack squat machine lately, I can go just as low as a full squat, but it doesn't require me to use my back or anything else, its nearly all leg so you can stack the plates up pretty damn well. I may go back to squats at some point, but I can blast the legs harder with the hack squat machine.

Unfortunately the smith is not good for your knees, but pretty much any machine is true in that regard, leg extentions and the hack squat machine as well to some degree.

Rep Points

i struggle with the squats

i just do them with no weight, but excellent form and go high reps, do like 2 sets of 15-20, then i do them with a exercise ball against a wall so my back is supported by the ball, and i grab some dumbells and i can go down quite low by doing this, i only do 3 sets of these and after that my legs are screwed!

i will try and do a proper squat with a bar on my shoulders next week, i'm just worried i will fall flat on my ass! as soon as my thighs get paralell to the floor i start to really wobble

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I go all the way down with no balance problems... but they sure are an ass kicker. Normally I like old fashioned stuff but I get enough back work elsewhere, so I'm sticking to hacks for now.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

squating on a smith machine is no good Rock, you should learn a real squat. the smith throws off your hips flexors and what not, you are more likely to get a knee injury on the smith then free weight. there are peoplemuch taller than you that are squatting I guarantee it, you need to take it slow and learn the correct form man. there is no substitute for the free weight squat, believe that!

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

what do you think about the hack squat great1?
    Are you kidding me????

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

it is a great movement no doubt, but not a substitute for the free weight squat. the hack squat should definately be used some time in a person's training routine.

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

for example, the main reason I am including squat into my routine is not because I want huge legs, in fact that's exactly what i don't want, but everything i read tells me compound exercises like squats and deadlifts are key to increasing growth hormone release which in turn will help your overall mass...
    Are you kidding me????

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

it isn't necessarily the GH released that is getting you bigger, it is the fact that it is a multi joint heavy movement. for example when you are squatting heavy you are placing lots of weight on the traps and back as wells as the legs, it is a full body exercise just like deads and other power movements. that is why it helps overall mass. you cna be much more intense and get alot more out of a powerlift than you can a tricep pulldown, ya know. the more you put in the more you get out.

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

makes sense....
    Are you kidding me????

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I love the hack squat, feels just as good but takes out the back/abs.

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

Originally posted by Mudge
    I love the hack squat, feels just as good but takes out the back/abs.
    personally, i think the hack squat is the single toughest exercise i do. Don't get me wrong, regular squats are tough as hell, but WE (meaning 99%) of BB don't go to true failure on squats, cuz we don't want to drop the weight on ourselves. if we did go to true failure, we go until we passed out haha

anyways, when i hacksquat, there is no weight to "worry" about unloading, therefore i go until i literally feel like i am going to die....great feeling
    You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. Dat's why I'm going to kill you lahst.

* Got juice?*Need Motivation?*How to Train*
    *Arnold vs. Ronnie vs. Haney vs. Sergio*
    *YEAH BUDDY...LIGHT WEIGHT!*Ahhnold*

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by Flex
    personally, i think the hack squat is the single toughest exercise i do. Don't get me wrong, regular squats are tough as hell, but WE (meaning 99%) of BB don't go to true failure on squats, cuz we don't want to drop the weight on ourselves. if we did go to true failure, we go until we passed out haha

I couldn't disagree with you more bro. Sounds like you aren't squatting hard enough the hack still doesn't involve as many muscle groups that the free squat does, it doesn't place teh amount of stress on the entire body that the squat does either. It doesn't require the balance and stabalization that the squat does, no way is it harder IMO.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

squat in a squat rack and go to complete failure......what the hell is the problem?
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

thats what I'm saying P, thank you!

UNLEASH THE BEAST
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm not saying you all are wrong, I'll try things around differently but I feel pain in my knees when I do Hack squats but no pain in my knees when I do the Smith Squat. Sometimes pain in my side or back though.

Gr81- I've tried doing squats for awhile, with low weight trying to get the form down. I always feel off balance and can't stay on my heels, always going up on my toes. I used to stack 10lb plates under my heels to help but then I was told that was not good to do. If you have any suggestions, I'm more than open to trying something, I'd love to do squats. I though about trying hiking or work boots since they have larger heels.

Carl Mccoy Wannabe

Rep Points

I agree with Tupac
    Carl McCoy wannabe.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by rock4832
    I'm not saying you all are wrong, I'll try things around differently but I feel pain in my knees when I do Hack squats but no pain in my knees when I do the Smith Squat. Sometimes pain in my side or back though.

Gr81- I've tried doing squats for awhile, with low weight trying to get the form down. I always feel off balance and can't stay on my heels, always going up on my toes. I used to stack 10lb plates under my heels to help but then I was told that was not good to do. If you have any suggestions, I'm more than open to trying something, I'd love to do squats. I though about trying hiking or work boots since they have larger heels.

Try working on box squats. Just set a bench down behind you, unrack the bar and just sit back like you are going to sit on the bench. This will take away any fears that you have of falling backwards and it will get you to feel the sqaut. Most people that come up on there toes don't do so because they lack flexabilty. I find it is more a lack of understanding. Instead of just squating right down think of it in small parts at a time. First, before you even bend at your knees to start your decent, stick you ass out.....that's right, just put your but out, this will get your hips back and get you in position to "sit back into the squat" so that you don't come to far forward. Then, once you ass is stickin out, just sit down, benc you knees and sit down. You chest will end up being at the same angle as your shins and BANG you are squating.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

UNLEASH THE BEAST
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Alright, thanks guys. I'll try this again on my next leg day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast