NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Best for calves?

Rep Points

Best for calves?

I have heard from different people that low weight\high reps work best for calves. What are some of your opinions. I tore an adductor muscle in my left leg a few years back and the doctors say there is nothing they can do for it. If I work legs heavy, the muscle draws up, bleeds internally and is extremely painful. So I would at least like to have bigger calves. Any help would be appreciated.

Rep Points

As heavy a weight you can handle for 10-12 reps. The next workout, As heavy a weight for 8-10 The following workout, standing calf raises 6-8 reps supersetting with seated rows 10-12 reps. Then start the process all over again.

Rep Points

How many sets per workout and how many times per week should I train calves?

Rep Points

If you follow what I said above only twice. My advise on sets would be 4 working sets of each excercise with exception of the supersetting. 3 sets each is enough(total 6). One light warmup set is a good Idea to get a good full stretch on the calf before adding heavy weight.

Rep Points

i usually stay high in reps, 15-20

MP Minister of Pain!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I ussually do like 7-10 sets on my calves but I can't do heavy weights. One is I don't really feel the burn at all with low reps but also I broke a few toes like 6 months ago but never went to the hospital just lived with it so they are still sore heh. I still use as heavy of weight as I can to get like 15 reps.
    "Only in dictionaries does SUCCESS come before WORK." -Alfred K. Henderson

Today I do what others will not so that tomorrow I can do what others cannot!

Rep Points

Well I look at it like this fellas. Here is the old guy(me) 41 who has ALWAYS been old school. now we have you young guys taking the old school method for calf building which is high reps. I've come to believe that some old school training techniques are still unbeatable but I've changed my way of thinking where calves are concerned. Calf muscles are muscles like any other muslce in the body with the exception that you really stress them every day just by walking. Walking is low weight and high reps so to speak and yet the don't grow!! I've come to also believe that you need to treat those calves similar to biceps or any other small muscle group and that is with low to moderate reps with heavy poundages. So not to allow those muscles to become accustomed to a workout, I change the rep ranges and poundages either every workout or every other workout. As for burn, we don't go for a burn every time we train biceps do we? Our goal is to make these muscles bigger and to do that heavy resistance is required.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by firestorm
    Calf muscles are muscles like any other muslce in the body...

I am gonna haver to disagree with ya here sirestorm. Calves are not like every other muscle in the body and it is that misconception that leads to underdevelopment of the calves by most people you see. How many guys out there have fully developed calves, not alot right. And how many of them use the excuse, "well I have bad genetics for the calves, thats why!" BullShit! I don't believe that one muscle of the body is not able to be developed relative to all other musclses. The fact is that the calves are different and they need to have a different approach to them to be successful in developing them. It takes more than seated and standing calf raises to get them poppin, especially if they aren't genetically gifted. The calves are made up of primarily fast twitch muscle fibers, more so than other muscle groups. Same with the hams, so you cater your training to working these fibers as well as as teh slow twitch. You need to include some sort of extremely intense short type of stress such as sprinting or plyometrics to stimulate these fibers along with the weight training. You need to also have more movements in the regiman than just the basic raises which only recruit certain parts of teh calf muscle. The angle at which you have your torso and legs during movements is important in including the Gastrocnemius and the Soleus. Both of those muscles in the calves need to be targeted for overall calf development. Hey good times though right fire.

Rep Points

I feel you bra but,,, the original question was regarding rep ranges. Now after your LOOONG HOT AIR response,,hahahahahahahaha Ya like that,,, hot air??) you forgot to address that question. What rep ranges do you suggest for standing, seated, donkey raises for examples.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

it is different for everyone what ends up working, but the point was that all rep ranges should be utilized to recruit teh fast and slow twitch fibers both, You should never stick with one thing alone without utilizing other principles. You are absolutely right about the calves being able to take more b/c you use them so much in everyday life. It is extremely important to use a full range of motion in your training other wise it is pointless. You have to show the calves the extremes basically. Besides that IMO you should be training the calves just as intense as the legs, you should be utilizing sll sorts of shocking principles all the time, not just do a set and rest. it takes that special effort to stress them as much as you need to for growth. I train them before I do the quads and hams, and after as well. I also begin leg day with a sprint WO at the track before weight training. I am constantly doing all I can to shock them, doing drop sets, forced reps, high rep sets, whatever it takes. I do not think it is as simple as "ok go and do 4 sets of 15 and that is the key to great calves" ya know what I am saying. I can speak for myself and say that I have horrible calves genetically and it is gonna take all my effort and years of training to get great calves, but i am gonna get there b/c I ptioritize them and train them intense as fuck. They have already made some prety good strides after switching my training style to this mentallity I mentioned above so I can relate to teh guys with bad calves. that is why you have to be creative and hit it hard. If you hit it half ass and don't learn how to train them then you will never see great calves.

I feel you bra but,,, the original question was regarding rep ranges. Now after your LOOONG HOT AIR response,,hahahahahahahaha Ya like that,,, hot air??) .

Oh and how dare you, I am giving you pearls of wisdom! do you hear me, PEARLS!! be grateful I say..

Rep Points

Well GR8 I don't see where we disagree on anything. Everything you said but in more debth is what I said. with the exception of the sprint stuff. So shaddup!!!! hahahahahaha

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

So shaddup!!!! hahahahahaha

Rep Points

Awww I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry buddy.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

sniff... ... Its OK man...sniff ... I'll be fine.. someday

ha ha j/k playin superman. Hey hows the training coming along? I pop in your jpournal every now and then just for kicks. Feels good getting back in a rythm huh! good times

Rep Points

All has been good except this past week. I had a lasp due to family crap. I didn't lift for an entire week. I'll be back tomorrow hell or high water. Even if that means calling out sick for work because I didn't have time during the day.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

thats the spirit! shit a week is nothing, try being out for 2 months now man, that is enough to drive me crazy!

Rep Points

Man you know my story, I was out since last February or March. I just got back at this a few months ago. That is far more then 2 months and I still feel the shoulder pain from time to time and have to back off.

You Lack Intensity!!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

yeah well it is looking like I will be out for a few more months. ALL THAT HARD EARNED MUSCLE!!! now that is something to cry about! I definately feel ya man, no one feels that more than me right now. I have lost over 15 lbs since the injury and I feel like a shell of my former self. bullshit

Rep Points

It totally sucks Gman and I've been there. The only thing I can tell you is to try and work around it. Maybe cardio and burn some fat so when you come back you'll be lean and mean.

Rep Points

again, i use a high rep range but occasionly i do less, like 8-12

Rep Points

That sounds good prophet. mix it up and you can't go wrong.

Rep Points

lol.. just tryin to get thread back on topic