• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Training your grip without the use of power-lifting grippers

Dante B.

Non Compost Mentis
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
If you're too broke to purchase the Captains of Crush (COC) grippers---or something of the sort---I can save you money and strengthen your grip. As well, if you own the (Captains of Crush) grippers and are having a difficult time closing whichever one, this method will help as you can gradually increase the load.

You'll need a cable apparatus where you'd normally do cable flyes and such.

1) On one end, attach a handle as you would, as if you were going to do flyes.

2) Remove any handles or bars from the other side so only the hook/clip attached to the cable remains.

3) Pull the cables together, placing your thumb in the hook/clip, and your other fingers on the handle.

4) Have at it.

Obviously, you'll need more weight for the fingers and less for the thumb. I've found that it's easier to pull with the fingers first, doing the thumb separately. If you attempt to do both together, your fingers quite likely will be doing the majority of the work.

Enjoy.

<->

There are many benefits when speaking of direct grip/forearm training.

Too many people complain of forearms that lag behind, only to hear the typical recommendation of "don't use straps."

On the other hand, too many people complain of not being able to use enough weight on deadlifts (and such), because their grip is the first to give.

It doesn't have to be an "either or." You can strengthen your grip, and build your foreams, also being allowed to use straps for deadlifts and whatever else. Common sense goes a long way.

I would use equal weights on both ends, doesn't make sense to me to use light weight on one side and heavy on the other. Do you see why?

Or if I am flawed in my thinking, school me. Certainly a gripper likewise offers equal tension on both ends.

Originally posted by Mudge
I would use equal weights on both ends, doesn't make sense to me to use light weight on one side and heavy on the other. Do you see why?

Or if I am flawed in my thinking, school me. Certainly a gripper likewise offers equal tension on both ends.

Maybe because on the finger side youve got four times as many muscles doing the same work as the thumb side?

Yes.

If you use too much weight, you will find that your thumb acts merely as a support for your other fingers. In other words, your thumb isn't moving, nor is it being worked as effectively as it could for that fact.

Not only that, but with a gripper, your thumb typically isn't being worked at all. Rather, your thumb is wrapped around so that the handle is resting in the pocket between your thumb and palm.

With unequal resistance on both sides, I dont see the heavy side ever moving - unless you are so lucky that there is perfect length of cable.

Last edited:
So long as there is enough opposing weight to support you, that's not the case.

You can also use the unworked arm as a support.

Originally posted by Dante B.
So long as there is enough opposing weight to support you, that's not the case.

I dont see enough opposing force if one side is 20 pounds and the other is 40.

The fact that I have done so, shows me otherwise. Think of it this way:

If you grabbed only one cable with your fingers, but not another with your thumb, what is acting as the support? It's the nature of the cable, as opposed to a free weight.

I occasionally switch things up, and pull with my thumb and fingers together. Even then, however, I'll still do several sets for my thumbs separately.

This is an embarrassingly simple physics issue, I will have to try it when I get back in the gym.

IML Gear Cream!
Just picture a gripper floating in the air, and a handle attached to a cable.

What is the difference?

Originally posted by Dante B.
Just picture a gripper floating in the air, and a handle attached to a cable.

What is the difference?

I obviously meant a handle attached to a cable weight-stack.

Regardless, is this making sense?

I'm actually not retarded, well, at least not now.

I know what you are saying. I'm taking a few days break from the gym, if I can finish this head gasket tonight or early tomorow I may be back in sunday to give this a shot.

I have looked at the COCK grippers but never got around to obtaining one. I dont think my grip is that superb but I can hold my weights without gloves/strap ons, of course more would be neato.

The COC grippers are sweet. They're just fun to have around in general, for whenever the moment strikes you.

If you do purchase them, go for the #1 and the #2. The average lifter should be able to initially close the #1.

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=8

You don't need them to train your grip, but as I said, they're fun to have around. The cable exercise is great on its own, or even if you're working on closing a particular gripper.

I was told to get the second gripper since I can hold my weights by myself, not the novice unit. I can row with 275x8 with no strap-ons if that gives an idea.

There is a grip board out there too but I haven't visited in a mucho long time.

I can row 175x8 mr Hippo...take that... no grip issues at all... funny how much bigger you are then me, but we lift only one digit off of each other... you should be ashamed... :haha:

Not ashamed, but someone about the same size was doing 3 plates he claimes, which if accurate probably puts his bench and row about the same. I'll feel like Superman doing a 3 plate row, give me about another 6 weeks :D and 100 pounds is a fair difference.

I figure with what I bench/row etc I am about twice as strong as the average whitey.

too bad there isn't a font called SARCASM... that certainly would clear up alot of things... I was just playin with ya mudge... I've only put up 180lbs on the bench one time... I'm not in any way trying to say I'm super strong... pretty fast and agile... but I have TONS to learn about strength training... btw, i got an updated back pic, can you give me some tips on which exercise for back day will help me increase my size?

Well, for me currently my own back day is somewhat like:

3-4 sets pulldowns to the front (8-10 reps)
4-5 sets supinated grip rows (curl grip) (8-10 reps)
3-4 sets low cable rows, nice and slow (9-11ish)

On leg day I do 3-4 sets of SLDL, and really thats all I do for now. I do traps on another day, 6-10 reps.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
Edited it, if I feel like doing a set for lower reps then I will do so, same with higher, but most of the time its the same old. I try to add weight weekly, which lately is very possible :eyebrow:

I do biceps on the same day as back... you think that's alright? I do upright row, lat pulldown (front), and cable row (low) incline DB curls, standing BB curl, and usually some sort of cable bicep isolation exercise... usually a unilateral type...

Each exercise i do 3 sets and aim for about 8 reps per set...

oh just as FYI... I'm not on anything other than protein and glutamine, I get a pretty good diet and have a desk job, currently I'm doing Mon/Wed/Fri split and I alternate the split but do Back/Biceps and Chest/triceps and legs/abs

Desk job for me too. I used to do biceps on back day, thats fine, now I have a seperate arm day but I change my routine every couple months or so.

you think a 7 day split is too long? I'm debating doing a 5 day instead... 3 days on 2 off... I feel like I can do it, I've been doing my current routine for a few months... think I should try and 5 day split for a month or 2 or you think that might be overtraining?

I dunno, I was doing 4 days with no breaks for awhile, then back to 5 which is what I'm doing now although I'm on day 4 of a forced break (pain in the joints from Accutane drying me out).

If your lifts are going up each time then I'm fine with it, so long as I'm not hurting - then I feel I'm pushing myself too hard.

So what we're we talking about???

:offtopic:

Thank you! :thumb:

Back