• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Pregnancy fitness forum

butterfly

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was searching the web and can't find any really good fitness forums for us pregnant ladies.

Any chance we could have one here?

Good point. Maybe that's why the only forums that looked good where pay-by-the-month ones.

Which may be why it might be a good idea to have one section here. Honestly, I can't find any one place that has all the info we need regarding fitness, excercie, nutrition, etc.

Hickerchick just had a baby and fitgirl and Stacey are both wanting to get pregnant.

Throw the idea around with the mods and see what the general consensus is :D

Just because they aren't pregnant doesn't mean they can't post. Many here have had babies and could give input! JMO.........

Originally posted by Prince
you would be the only one posting in it. :)

I'm sure Rock and Satan would be whoring it up, also.

That was be an extremely niche forum. I don't think it'd have a lot of traffic.

Even if you had a forum for it, I think anyone that came across information would post articles, etc. in it, plus you have many women as members here that are young and will eventually be starting families, you also have some mothers here that can share their experiences while being pregnant and also what to do and not do to before, during and after pregnancy, and just think Prince, you might be the only site that has this, which may bring in more traffic :thumb:

Originally posted by CaptainDeadlift
I'm sure Rock and Satan would be whoring it up, also.
Satan's wife is pregnant right now, so maybe he'll learn something :shrug: or we can just kick 'em out :D

Originally posted by katie64
Even if you had a forum for it, I think anyone that came across information would post articles, etc. in it, plus you have many women as members here that are young and will eventually be starting families, you also have some mothers here that can share their experiences while being pregnant and also what to do and not do to before, during and after pregnancy, and just think Prince, you might be the only site that has this, which may bring in more traffic :thumb:

you may be correct, but that is not what this forum is about...it's a bodybuilding and fitness forum. :shrug:

Then why have a sports forum?

IML Gear Cream!
Fitness does not stop with pregnancy!

I think there are alot of misconceptions about excercise during pregnancy and a forum that addresses questions and answers about it would be very attractive to alot of the women on this forum including nonpregnant and those contemplating pregnancy.

However, with that said, it may still be too subspecialized for this forum as Prince stated.

I belong to a bike forum that has a Women's Issues subforum and there we talk about everything from wearing tampons to pregnancy issues etc. (I mountain biked till 4months of pregnancy and rode 20 -25 miles on the road in sweltering humid weather up until two days of delivery).

Of course alot of guys jumped into the conversations in this subforum.:D

Certain things like squats can induce labor though can't they? Shouldn't lower impact things be implemented?

Not that I've been pregnant, lately.

Originally posted by Mudge
Certain things like squats can induce labor though can't they? Shouldn't lower impact things be implemented?

Not that I've been pregnant, lately.

Exactly, these are the types of questions alot of women have!

My female body builders have mostly concentrated on upper body workouts after the sixth month. Up until the sixth month, most continue their lower leg workouts with slightly modified weights and proper breathing technique. Remember, in many parts of the world women are doing heavy labor right up until delivery and our bodies can accomodate alot more then most believed we could. I look at biking, Atlanta is very hilly and even into my 9th month of pregnancy I was cranking on the big gear up some big ass hills that people would push their bikes up ...that's alot of downward force, probably equivalent to doing some squats with moderate weights. (Of course this was with good followup and no predisposing conditions like incompetant cervix etc.) Each woman is different, if a woman starts spotting after such an effort or has mild contractions, they need to stop. (I found this to be the case only in women uaccostomed to working out.) That is the key, what seems like incredible exertion for those who don't usually participate in certain sports, is nothing for those women who have been engaging in twice the load, distance, speed etc. before pregnancy.

by the way these conditions preclude or contradict excercise until you speak with your doc.

Heart disease
An infectious disease such as hepatitis
Severe high blood pressure
Lung disease
A history of miscarriages
Uterine bleeding
Placenta previa ??? when the placenta blocks the cervix

I know nurses turning and lifting 300 pound blobs in the hospital in their 8th or 9th month of pregnancy!

Tough!

Thanks for jumping in bandaidwoman!!! Your input only furthers my belief that IM needs this.

I'd really like someone experienced like yourself to help me come up with a safe routine. The only peeps I can find online with any real knowledge of this charge for their services.

Butterfly, just pm me or email me anytime. Let me know your reps, weights, type of lifting, etc.

By the way here is a study on how women who excercise vigorously seem to have smarter and less body fat kids! So you are helping yourself as welll as your child!
damage, whereas the trained men (runners all) experienced very little.
Startling study (cont'd)
If you haven't yet read yesterday's Health Beat item below, consider scrolling down to give it a quick read. This is a continuation of that item. As we reported yesterday, a recent exercise and pregnancy study out of Case Western Reserve University pointed up some amazing things. Namely, a group of 5-year-old children born to women who had exercised vigorously during pregnancy weighed less and had less body fat than 5-year-old children born to women who did no exercise except walking during their pregnancies. (Head researcher James Clapp, M.D., called the children of the walkers "a bit on the fat side.") Pretty interesting stuff, but what really surprised the head researcher was that the 5-year-olds of the vigorously exercising moms scored significantly better on the Wechsler test of general intelligence and coordination. They also scored higher on tests of oral language skills. A final note on the exercise group: They exercised throughout their pregnancies, doing either running, aerobics or cross-country skiing (or some combination of the three) for 30 minutes three times a week.
A startling study on exercise and pregnancy
The exercise you do while pregnant may affect your baby years down the road, according to a new study out of Case Western Reserve University and published in the Journal of Pediatrics. The Case Western researchers separated 40 pregnant women into two groups. Group one was told to exercise vigorously (at a level equivalent to easy running) for 30 minutes three times a week. Group two was told to do no exercise except walking each week. At birth the children of the vigorous exercisers weighed slightly less and had less body fat than did the children of the walkers. Not a big deal so far, but here's the interesting thing: At age 5, the children of the exercisers still weighed less and had lower body fat than did the children of the walkers. The children of the exercise group weren't unduly lean, says researcher James F. Clapp, M.D. But the 5-year-old children of the walkers tended to be "a bit on the fat side," he says.

Just avoid stress! My friends co-worker lost her second pregnancy from a stressfull job as supervisor, didn't listen and take time off when things got rough. Mild mannered person sometimes but loses her temper and doesn't controll it others.

I think the idea of a fitness forum for pregnant ladies is a wonderful idea. There would be others in it that Butterfly I'm sure... and as a male, I'm interested in reading up on it for the future when I'm dealing with a wife in that situation.

We tried a women's forum once, but it got little traffic and was contantly bastardized by men looking for attention. Women could not have a conversation in there without men hijacking every thread.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by butterfly
Then why have a sports forum?

It's under "General Interests" and people got sick of us talking about sports in the training forum and open chat. :)

As a figure competitor and a mother, I feel this forum should support expecting mommies by granting Butterflies request.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd be in better shape and possibly could've prevented things from happening. Pregnant women and mommies pull together and feel the need to share stories & learning experiences. Mean while, we also need to stay in shape. Know the do and don'ts. How to diet, etc......... How else are "expecting" figure/fitness competitiors to learn what others have done to stay in shape?

This information is gained from the experienced and learned by the inexperienced.

If men go in and bash the thread, I feel the women here can be adult enough to over look stupidity, ignorance & immaturity.

Additionally, who cares what traffic Butterflies request gets? Aren't many of the threads informational referances while others are not so tactful?

Why not a special populations section here. Rather than only have pregnant folk, you could have old foggies, diabetics, handicapped folk, etc. and then just label threads for each topic and list all the info under it as a sticky. I guess it could be an archived, read only deal with tons of info rather than a forum. I wouldn't want the liability of some newbie telling a preggo chick to do deep, heavy squats in her 3rd trimester. :D

Don't know what you would call it, I think special populations may not be intuitive enough.

I think Butterfly is right. I would love to see a Pregnancy Forum on here. Prince, I'm sorry that you feel this is strictly a fitness forum. Ann is right, why have a sports forum or an open chat or online instant chat. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm sorry if I'm coming off that way. I think bandaidwoman is right, fitness doesn't stop because someone got pregnant. If it did, I don't think Oxygen, M&F Hers and other mags would print articles about keeping fit while pregnant, preparing to become mothers or post pregnancy.

Fitness and healthy diets always go hand in hand with pregnancy. It is a staple of a healthy pregnancy.

Please consider it.
Fitgirl70

Originally posted by Dale Mabry
Why not a special populations section here. Rather than only have pregnant folk, you could have old foggies, diabetics, handicapped folk, etc. and then just label threads for each topic and list all the info under it as a sticky. I guess it could be an archived, read only deal with tons of info rather than a forum. I wouldn't want the liability of some newbie telling a preggo chick to do deep, heavy squats in her 3rd trimester. :D

Don't know what you would call it, I think special populations may not be intuitive enough.

I disagree.

There should be a forum for:

Mens Health and one for Womens Health.

In order to keep men out of the womens health forum and vice versa, Prince can set a trigger that is gender based and linked to the screen name. :shrug:

What if I have a friend that is a girl that wants info and wants me to get it for her. Other than pregnancy and menopause, what affliction does a women have that would be handled differently for a male. Diabetics, wheelchair-bound, and people with HIV face the same problems regardless of sex so splitting it up would be pointless.

Originally posted by BabsieGirl
There should be a forum for:

Mens Health and one for Womens Health.

I would like to have a general health type forum, but do not have anyone qualified to moderate/lead it.

I think that's a wonderful idea prince. You're right, I guess unless we have any general practicioners on our forum already that would be willing to do it for us, I'm afraid that a lot of the questions would get answered with not so qualified of a response.

However, I think we are getting off of the beaten path here. We've asked for a Pregnancy Forum. If you want to have a General Health Forum, that would be fine too except maybe the links could be directed to WebMD. I'm sure they do some cross-marketing and and cross-sponsoring and I'm sure they would love to get in on a fitness/bb site, such as ours.

Originally posted by Dale Mabry
What if I have a friend that is a girl that wants info and wants me to get it for her. Other than pregnancy and menopause, what affliction does a women have that would be handled differently for a male. Diabetics, wheelchair-bound, and people with HIV face the same problems regardless of sex so splitting it up would be pointless.

If men want advice from women, they can continue what they're doing, i.e.: Post in the open forum...

That, or IF this happens triggers can still be gender based with an exception to the rule.......For viewing purposes only!

Back