NapsGear.net

Um, how do you keep records

Rep Points

Um, how do you keep records

So, how do you guys keep a record of your improvements? Do you actually take a notebook to the gym and note what you lifted for everything, or do you just wing it, or do you use pictures...

Reason is, I know I'm improving, but I don't know if I'm going fast or slow... People comment on how much weight I lost, and that I look great, but since muscle is pretty slow to appear...

I measure my bicep every two weeks, and I see small gains. In 6 months I added a bit more than half an inch, while losing lots of weight. But I wonder if I should be going faster.

I train once every five days.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

I think I have a minor case of OCD, so I dont know if I should admit this. I print out a weeks worth of my workout schedule (GoPro's workout) and log reps x weights while working out. At the end of the week I update the doc, so I can take it to the gym next cycle and try to beat those reps/weights. To further show my compulsive nature, I save copies of each and date them so I can track my progress long term.

Rep Points

cool idea var! I'm gonna start that
    Pain is only somthing to remind you that your still alive.

You can keep any kind of journal you want. I'm a bit more spontaneous with my workout and use alot of biofeedback, with how I look and feel. I have 4-6 exercise I can do for each bodypart, but don't decide which 2-3 I'm going to use that day until I start the workout. For instance, the other day for tri's, I looked at where I was at and how I felt (my bench was lagging a bit from locking out with the arms, and they felt a bit thinner around the elbow) so I thought what could I do to work on this. So I went with heavy straight bar push-downs, which emulate skull crushers and dips about 9 sets total. My arms got pumped and felt solid. My next bench workout went much better (285X12). You gotta see what works for you, whether it is a rigid program or not.
    Success is measured not by the position that one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

Booker T. Washington

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Re: Um, how do you keep records

Originally posted by Mex
    Reason is, I know I'm improving, but I don't know if I'm going fast or slow... People comment on how much weight I lost, and that I look great, but since muscle is pretty slow to appear...
    I carry a small notebook with me in the gym. I've been doing this for a couple years now and I'm almost done with notebook #2. I do a lot of different exercises, and I could never remember how much weight I used if I try an exercise I have not done in a month. Keeping a record with me helps me use the right amount of weight, and it saves time because I don't have to do two sets just to figure out the right amount of weight I want to use. And seeing on paper how much more I lift now than I did two years ago is very cool.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Training note book
    Diet notebook
    progress pics
    Ironmagazine.com Journal
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

About a 4x6" book to the gym when I do, nowdays I can remember my routine, but on a smaller time scale gains wise it pays to be able to look back and see if you need to make an adjustment or something.

Finally Focused

Rep Points

Originally posted by Var
    I think I have a minor case of OCD, so I dont know if I should admit this. I print out a weeks worth of my workout schedule (GoPro's workout) and log reps x weights while working out. At the end of the week I update the doc, so I can take it to the gym next cycle and try to beat those reps/weights. To further show my compulsive nature, I save copies of each and date them so I can track my progress long term.
    Thats me also. At least we havea good OCD lol

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

At least you aren't erasing things and writing them over 20 times because its "messy," now thats true OCD.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

Originally posted by Mudge
    At least you aren't erasing things and writing them over 20 times because its "messy," now thats true OCD.
    I probably would if it werent for Microsoft Word.

Rep Points

I write my new max benches or new rep highs X weight on the wall behind my bench.
    You prob won't get away with that at the gym you lift in.
    PB's are easy to remember, just record them in a notebook or index card in your car when you leave the gym, then try to beat them next time, if you do record it if and you have a new goal to beat, if you don't beat it the goal remains the same.
    "I don't like small cars or real big women, but somehow I always find myself in 'em" - KR

Rep Points

I take a small notebook with me too. I see alot of peeps at the gym also doing the same thing.
    28 Days - 6 Hours - 42 Minutes - 12 Seconds

"You Can`t Flex Fat"

Rep Points

Good workoutr and diet logs at http://www.mikefrancois.com as wellas over at bodybuilding.com

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I do not log every set, rep, etc., I do keep a little weekly journal where I write down what each work-out will be for each day of the week, sometimes I add little notes like "heavy day", or if I started a new supplement that day/week.

I tried once in the past carrying around a notebook and writing down each set, the amount weight, reps etc., and it was just too much trouble for me, and I feel that I can remember most of this.

Nor do I write down what I eat each day, actually I really do not need to because it never really changes. I once logged everything I ate for around two months at www.fitday.com and it was very helpful in determining/learning my diet, calories and macros, but again I feel that I can remember this without the daily log.

My current diet is HERE

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

"You Can`t Flex Fat"

Rep Points

I record all my training, but I can remeber it also,I do it at home not in the gym, as I want to stay focused while training.I`ve been training so long it`s not a problem remembering what I did .As far as diet goes ,I only keep a journal when prepping for a contest,otherwise, I just get in all the macros I need from my food with no problem.Keeping a log will help you learn a lot about macros until it`s almost second nature.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

Originally posted by Prince

I tried once in the past carrying around a notebook and writing down each set, the amount weight, reps etc., and it was just too much trouble for me, and I feel that I can remember most of this.
    I felt the exact same way until I got used to it. Now I feel really weird if I forget my paper and have to try and remember what weights I used last. I really like having a specific amount of weight and number of reps to try and beat. Again, probably an OCD thing.

training DC style!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have two 7x9 student planner notebooks;
    a diet book and workout book,
    I would Never remember anything if I didn't write it down.

What is OCD???
    Determined.
    Eating like a pig gone wild.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I keep a 6x9 notebook with all of my meals/supplements, and all of my work-outs.

Phat Member

Rep Points

this is wat i did...

i typed out my goals for this year...and i put my current ones in and gonna update it evey month...its my new years orkout resoloutions...looks like this

http://arthur2004.free-host.com/Resos.txt

Rep Points

Bringing a small notebook to the gym is the way to do it. I write down every set. Before I brought a notebook in I would lose focus between sets, like start daydreaming or thinking how much the next set will hurt. Basically a notebook gives me something productive to do between sets.