• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Um, how do you keep records

Mex

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So, how do you guys keep a record of your improvements? Do you actually take a notebook to the gym and note what you lifted for everything, or do you just wing it, or do you use pictures...

Reason is, I know I'm improving, but I don't know if I'm going fast or slow... People comment on how much weight I lost, and that I look great, but since muscle is pretty slow to appear...

I measure my bicep every two weeks, and I see small gains. In 6 months I added a bit more than half an inch, while losing lots of weight. But I wonder if I should be going faster.

I train once every five days.

I think I have a minor case of OCD, so I dont know if I should admit this. I print out a weeks worth of my workout schedule (GoPro's workout) and log reps x weights while working out. At the end of the week I update the doc, so I can take it to the gym next cycle and try to beat those reps/weights. To further show my compulsive nature, I save copies of each and date them so I can track my progress long term. :D

You can keep any kind of journal you want. I'm a bit more spontaneous with my workout and use alot of biofeedback, with how I look and feel. I have 4-6 exercise I can do for each bodypart, but don't decide which 2-3 I'm going to use that day until I start the workout. For instance, the other day for tri's, I looked at where I was at and how I felt (my bench was lagging a bit from locking out with the arms, and they felt a bit thinner around the elbow) so I thought what could I do to work on this. So I went with heavy straight bar push-downs, which emulate skull crushers and dips about 9 sets total. My arms got pumped and felt solid. My next bench workout went much better (285X12). You gotta see what works for you, whether it is a rigid program or not.

Originally posted by Mex
Reason is, I know I'm improving, but I don't know if I'm going fast or slow... People comment on how much weight I lost, and that I look great, but since muscle is pretty slow to appear...

I carry a small notebook with me in the gym. I've been doing this for a couple years now and I'm almost done with notebook #2. I do a lot of different exercises, and I could never remember how much weight I used if I try an exercise I have not done in a month. Keeping a record with me helps me use the right amount of weight, and it saves time because I don't have to do two sets just to figure out the right amount of weight I want to use. And seeing on paper how much more I lift now than I did two years ago is very cool. :)

Training note book
Diet notebook
progress pics
Ironmagazine.com Journal:D

About a 4x6" book to the gym when I do, nowdays I can remember my routine, but on a smaller time scale gains wise it pays to be able to look back and see if you need to make an adjustment or something.

Originally posted by Var
I think I have a minor case of OCD, so I dont know if I should admit this. I print out a weeks worth of my workout schedule (GoPro's workout) and log reps x weights while working out. At the end of the week I update the doc, so I can take it to the gym next cycle and try to beat those reps/weights. To further show my compulsive nature, I save copies of each and date them so I can track my progress long term. :D

Thats me also. At least we havea good OCD lol

At least you aren't erasing things and writing them over 20 times because its "messy," now thats true OCD.

Originally posted by Mudge
At least you aren't erasing things and writing them over 20 times because its "messy," now thats true OCD.

I probably would if it werent for Microsoft Word. :laugh:

IML Gear Cream!
I write my new max benches or new rep highs X weight on the wall behind my bench.
You prob won't get away with that at the gym you lift in.
PB's are easy to remember, just record them in a notebook or index card in your car when you leave the gym, then try to beat them next time, if you do record it if and you have a new goal to beat, if you don't beat it the goal remains the same.

I take a small notebook with me too. I see alot of peeps at the gym also doing the same thing.

I do not log every set, rep, etc., I do keep a little weekly journal where I write down what each work-out will be for each day of the week, sometimes I add little notes like "heavy day", or if I started a new supplement that day/week.

I tried once in the past carrying around a notebook and writing down each set, the amount weight, reps etc., and it was just too much trouble for me, and I feel that I can remember most of this.

Nor do I write down what I eat each day, actually I really do not need to because it never really changes. I once logged everything I ate for around two months at www.fitday.com and it was very helpful in determining/learning my diet, calories and macros, but again I feel that I can remember this without the daily log.

My current diet is HERE

I record all my training, but I can remeber it also,I do it at home not in the gym, as I want to stay focused while training.I`ve been training so long it`s not a problem remembering what I did .As far as diet goes ,I only keep a journal when prepping for a contest,otherwise, I just get in all the macros I need from my food with no problem.Keeping a log will help you learn a lot about macros until it`s almost second nature.

Originally posted by Prince

I tried once in the past carrying around a notebook and writing down each set, the amount weight, reps etc., and it was just too much trouble for me, and I feel that I can remember most of this.

I felt the exact same way until I got used to it. Now I feel really weird if I forget my paper and have to try and remember what weights I used last. I really like having a specific amount of weight and number of reps to try and beat. Again, probably an OCD thing. :D

I have two 7x9 student planner notebooks;
a diet book and workout book,
I would Never remember anything if I didn't write it down.

What is OCD???

I keep a 6x9 notebook with all of my meals/supplements, and all of my work-outs.

IML Gear Cream!
Bringing a small notebook to the gym is the way to do it. I write down every set. Before I brought a notebook in I would lose focus between sets, like start daydreaming or thinking how much the next set will hurt. Basically a notebook gives me something productive to do between sets.

Back