IronMagLabs

sleep and long lasting energy

Rep Points

sleep and long lasting energy

I NEED HELP! My workouts are falling to pieces. I'm an attorney, and I work so late so often that I have to workout at 6 A.M. to ensure that I workout regularly(even when I do get there, it's tough to get in the rack with some big plates and try to squat). The problem is that I don't sleep well, and I either don't want to get up in the morning, or when I do get up I'm tired all day. I need advice on supplements for sleeping, and supplements for energy during the day. I've heard of ZMA, but never tried it. Let me know what you think I should try. Thanks!!

Melatonin for sleep at night. Very inexpensive, and for energy - Try a thermogenic of somekind.
    These are my favorite faces : - - -

Personal Bests:

Bench - 235
    Deadlift - 315 X 17
    Squat - 315 X 11
    40 yrd. - 4.65

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Try Valerian, it's been well studied in germany:
    Most of the studies have been done in Germany and suggest that people fall asleep quicker and stay asleep longer. About 3% of patients noted headache or morning grogginess as side effects. In a 1996 study with 121 patients, it took 4 weeks before a difference was noted, so you might have to take it for a least a month. Recommended dose is 600 mg taken 2 hours before bedtime.

Note: it interferes with a seizure medicine called dilantin or phenytoin so if you take that, don't take valerian/
    Official Race Member of the Crank Crushing Rednecks

Eat more mud, mountain bike until you die!

XX Feminine power

Rep Points

What do you think about ZMA?

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by mattymo
    What do you think about ZMA?

Don't see how it can hurt. I've only heard testimonials, so i can't comment since I haven't seen good studies on that aspect regarding ZMA.

XX Feminine power

Rep Points

I have same-like situation and I also have problems sleeping ... Valerian root tea (herbal) tastes quite horrific but it is strong and induces drowsiness w/out waking up groggy ...

For energy try Ginseng supplements in morning before u work out ... I take a Ginseng complex pill which helps boost energy during workouts ... or try liquid ginseng in small bottles (korean or chinese) .. u can even carry the vials around with u ... not the greatest tasting but will give u boost of energy ... also in some stores there have royal jelly (also good for energy bursts) ... instead of drinking coffee al day (which boosts caffeiene levels in body) try the ginseng liquid in tea

Melatonin iscares me ....

Unstoppable Force
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I know this may be difficult for someone as busy as yourself, but get into a ritual. A couple of things I do that have helped my sleep patterns are...

1. Have a small ritual before bed. For me , its usually a hot shower, fresh clothes and a good book (and my nightly prayer :P)

2. Keep your bedroom cool. I have seen studies that suggest cooler temperatures (not COLD) have a positive effect on REM sleep.

3. Keep your bedsheets clean. I dont know of any studies, but I ALWAYS sleep better on fresh crisp sheets. I change them once a week.

4. Dont use your bed for anything other than things you will do before bed. (Reading, sex, or sleeping) Your mind makes a connection with rest this way, and it helps.

5. Keep your room as dark as possible. When my room is totally dark and quiet, I sleep much better than even with the slightest bit of light.

Hope these help good luck
    "Show me a beautiful woman, and I'll show you a guy tired of screwing her"

Originally posted by carl68
    I have same-like situation and I also have problems sleeping ... Valerian root tea (herbal) tastes quite horrific but it is strong and induces drowsiness w/out waking up groggy ...

For energy try Ginseng supplements in morning before u work out ... I take a Ginseng complex pill which helps boost energy during workouts ... or try liquid ginseng in small bottles (korean or chinese) .. u can even carry the vials around with u ... not the greatest tasting but will give u boost of energy ... also in some stores there have royal jelly (also good for energy bursts) ... instead of drinking coffee al day (which boosts caffeiene levels in body) try the ginseng liquid in tea

Melatonin iscares me ....

Why does it scare you?
    These are my favorite faces : - - -

Personal Bests:

Bench - 235
    Deadlift - 315 X 17
    Squat - 315 X 11
    40 yrd. - 4.65

Unstoppable Force
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Melatonin is a horomone, and there have been adverse reports in people, and there has been research POSSIBLY indicating it can be harmful to your bodys horomonal balance.
    "Show me a beautiful woman, and I'll show you a guy tired of screwing her"

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by camarosuper6
    Melatonin is a horomone, and there have been adverse reports in people, and there has been research POSSIBLY indicating it can be harmful to your bodys horomonal balance.

I'd like to see this research. It is very well studied in the clinical arena for jet lag and anticancer treatments. It's a wonderful antioxidant. Tha's why we believe people who work night shifts or rotating shifts have higher rates of cancer due to the abnormal melatonin inhibition. These studies so far have shown no adverse effects . Some caution use in seizures (see below) and people with asthma because we have no long term studies on these. One case study suggested asthma may worsen so I would consult a physician before recommending an asthmatic on long term therapy with melatonin. It is not so much a hormone as a modified neurotransmitter released by the pineal gland.

There have been clinical trials (over twenty) in children that followed them for 6 years on melatonin supplements (ages ranging from 3-24) as part of treatment for the blind who have shitty circadian rythems. With that said, a 1998 study published in Lancet, melatonin administration to six children with underlying seizure disorders produced a worsening of seizures in three. Although this finding has not been reported in other papers, the benefit to risk ratio of melatonin in patients with seizures should be carefully weighed before initiation of therapy.

Here is a link to thirty different clinical trials associated with melatonin http://search.medscape.com/px/mscpse...id=med&cid=med
    Last edited by bandaidwoman; 01-16-2004 at 05:16 AM.

XX Feminine power

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Check out this article:

http://www.mercola.com/article/sleep.htm

Wear socks.
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.