IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Sponsorship disclaimer?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Rep Points

Sponsorship disclaimer?

just a thought. in most medical or research journals, there is a disclaimer for each author/researcher announcing areas of conflict or sponsorship from companies.

on this board, there are people who are sponsored, either directly by cash payment or by product in kind, by various supplement companies.

When giving comments, advise, announcement, etc for these companies, should the person making the post put a disclaimer in the signature saying that they are re-imbursed by the company involved? or should it be buyer beware? or in this case, 'reader' beware?
    Last edited by MarcusMaximus; 02-05-2004 at 10:37 AM.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

who are you talking about?

we all know that gopro works for VPX.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Hardcore Peptides 20% Discount Code: Robert20

Rep Points

lol, funny i was just trying to edit my post to reflect that. i wasn't talking about anyone in particular.
    you are correct in that the people who frequent these boards or have 1000's of posts and spend hours here know that goPro works for VPX. However, some of the new ones may not realize that. i wasn't writing of anyone in particular. GoPro has been very open about his sponsorship.

in many research publications, possible conflicts of interest arise and are stated at the end of each report/article. I know that this isn't a research site

Edited portion: the research site is a reference to the liquidresearch company being under investigation as stated in another thread started by a moderator.
    Last edited by MarcusMaximus; 02-05-2004 at 03:53 PM.

Rep Points

Originally posted by Prince
    who are you talking about?

we all know that gopro works for VPX.
    hello prince,
    i wasn't really thinking of gopro- he has always been upfront about it. in fact, if anything he could sing the praises even more than he does. some people talk endlessly about swole and/or Syntrax or whatever as there are several threads about this one product and company that makes it. These threads almost make me want to try it yet its far too expensive for my meager income.

i was thinking more about those people who suddenly announce that a particular item blows or a company is not any good. Secondly, i am somewhat leary of unsolicited announcements of "hey, i found a great site" or " hey take a look at his website.. they have great prices..." usually it's a case of someone trying to help us all out in finding cheaper sources. the latter case is no big deal yet the former is sneaky and underhanded.

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You make a fair point; or at least hit on one.

There are various people throughout the boards that own, work for, , are affiliated with, or are sponsored by various companies. Any decent person or poster will readily and openly disclose his or her affiliation. I do readily, and usually remind people when discussing an Avant product, and indeed, its reflected in my avatar and sig.

However, the converse happens. Boards are literally littered with trolls -- people posting on behalf of a company yet pretend to simply be a fan of the company.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do about it, as it is their intent to deceive -- except you can and should be wary of such people. Often such people are outted at some point, because it becomes obvious. All I can recommend, is, keep your guard up. I'd be much more inclined to listen to someone biased like Eric, who discloses his bias, then someone who is obviously biased, but won't admit it.

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

TP?!?!! you're affiliated with a supplement company? Oh sure... now ya tell me, after I bought my leptigen, Ab-Solved, Lipoderm Ultra, and FL-7...

Are you kidding me????

Rep Points

Originally posted by Twin Peak
    You make a fair point; or at least hit on one.
    However, the converse happens. Boards are literally littered with trolls -- people posting on behalf of a company yet pretend to simply be a fan of the company.
    exactly. there are always shills to be found on every board on every topic. usually, they overplay their 'fondness" and are easily seen. yet as you pointed out, there are others who dupe many people into making choicesthat they otherwise may not have made. You call them trolls, very appropriate. i call them shills. same thing. i think i like trolls for the name better than shills

Unfortunately, there is little you can do about it, as it is their intent to deceive -- except you can and should be wary of such people. Often such people are outted at some point, because it becomes obvious. All I can recommend, is, keep your guard up. I'd be much more inclined to listen to someone biased like Eric, who discloses his bias, then someone who is obviously biased, but won't admit it.
    I always have to wonder what is behind a person's motives when they blast some company or product or whatever/whomever.
    I don't know who Eric is so I'll just lurk around until he pops up in a conversatin.
    thanks for your input.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

I've thought about this quite a bit when members review a new supp. If they are receiving free samples on the condition that they post feedback, this is info people should know. When I see a post and they do not offer that key fact, I wonder how valid/honest their feedback really is. Simply stating that they were approach by comapany x, and asked to try out their product, would make me much more willing to believe their feedback. Just my .02
    But when you disarm them, you at once offend them by showing that you distrust them, either for cowardice or for want of loyalty, and either of these opinions breeds hatred against you.

-N. Machiavelli

Just call me Mayo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

agreed
    Are you kidding me????

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

MarcusMaximus-- Eric=GoPro
    P-side Inc.

"the post-workout high is more profound than any drug-induced rush imaginable." -Dante B.

Rep Points

i knew that it had to be more than just myself who noticed this about some of the posts on the boards.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

I commented on it in a thread once before. Of course, took a flaming for it.
    But when you disarm them, you at once offend them by showing that you distrust them, either for cowardice or for want of loyalty, and either of these opinions breeds hatred against you.

-N. Machiavelli

Rep Points

Originally posted by PreMier
    MarcusMaximus-- Eric=GoPro
    hey thanks premier.. i never caught his name in the posts. thanks again.
    there is no " sheepish grin" emoticon so this will have to do

Rep Points

Originally posted by Var
    I commented on it in a thread once before. Of course, took a flaming for it.
    how long ago as I scrolled thru a little ways back.
    I just take it for granted that there are going to be some trolls on every board on any subject.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

I'd have to search. It was actually in an unrelated thread and somehow the topic came around to it. I think many of the people doing it on this board are NOT trolls. They see an opportunity for some free supps and possibly even do give honest feedback. I just think they should be totally upfront about what they're getting out of the deal.

-N. Machiavelli

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I get the satisfaction that a supp works. If it doesnt I bitch
    P-side Inc.

"the post-workout high is more profound than any drug-induced rush imaginable." -Dante B.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

Since Babsies Syntrax thread was closed, I figured I'd give this one a bump.

-N. Machiavelli

Unstoppable Force
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

All these damn trolls are getting paid by supplement companies.. why can't one of those companies hire me
    "Show me a beautiful woman, and I'll show you a guy tired of screwing her"

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Good bump.

Var, where did you get flamed? And by whom?

Unstoppable Force
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

In all seriousness, honest feedback is one of the reasons I came to this board. Like I have said in previous posts, all the garbage littered in magazines and much of the garbage across the Net really had a large effect in my diet/routine/supplementation before I educated myself and found good places like this one to learn, and give feedback. I was overweight, weak and thought I was doing all the right things according to what all the ad's were telling me, but I was really destroying myself and my health.

Newbs and veterans alike need good, solid information, which is one of the reasons I visit only a few select boards that controll their spam, like this one. I hate to think people would jepordize their personal integrity and some foolish newbie to make a buck, but sometimes it seems my standards are too high.
    "Show me a beautiful woman, and I'll show you a guy tired of screwing her"

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

Originally posted by Twin Peak
    Good bump.

Var, where did you get flamed? And by whom?
    I'd have to go back and find the thread. I think it may have been Gopro's MAD thread, but I'm not sure.

-N. Machiavelli

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

Originally posted by Var
    I'd have to go back and find the thread. I think it may have been Gopro's MAD thread, but I'm not sure.
    Nope...my bad. The MAD thread brought up similar issues, but I didnt really get flamed there.

This has been something thats bothered me for quite a while. I just cant stomach the idea that people post "feedback" about supps that they get for free...and then have the nerve to hide that fact.

-N. Machiavelli

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well all I can say is don't criticize shipping times or make any jokes or Prince will come down on you..............................after all he is the owner!! and he will tell you what you can say and when.

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I couldn't agree more.

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by topolo
    Well all I can say is don't criticize shipping times or make any jokes or Prince will come down on you..............................after all he is the owner!! and he will tell you what you can say and when.
    Well, its his board.

And I certainly hope you don't think he was defending me. He wouldn't do that.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

Originally posted by topolo

-N. Machiavelli

Rep Points

She is now over on another bodybuilding board doing exactly the same thing. she first gets people to feel sympathy towards her, then she starts shilling syntrax. she has changed her writing style though, now everyone is " brother" or " bro" or ' Man". same bad advice, same cut and paste jobs being passed off as her own information.

there is no shame at all. just as aggressively belligerent when confronted over there as she was over here... it never ends.

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

What board?
    P-side Inc.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

Yeah...what board???

-N. Machiavelli

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

I think one thing we should NOT lose sight of is that Babsie wasnt the only one doing this. We've all seen lots of questionable Syntrax threads (I think many were about Nectar) from other members (some well respected) here.

-N. Machiavelli

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast