• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

flat bench help

iSlaNdEr bOy

wOrK iN pRoGrEsS
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I don't know why when I do flat barbell bench presses, I can't lift for shit. I can barely do 3 sets with only 45 plates on each end. But I can hit 80lb dumbells on incline and if I do the hammer strenght machines I can do 3 45 plates on each side. Its only when I get on the flat bench I can't lift as much. Any advice???

Sounds like a mental thing. Not really much I can recommend except use a spotter and keep hitting the flat bench until your used to it.

I agree with Darkkmind, just keeping plugging away at the flat bench. Use good form, stay away from machines and do heavy compound exercises. Your flat bench should catch up to your incline.

Maybe its a depth issue, you can really tell how deep you go with a BB (bar on chest) but its a bit harder with DB's. Check your depth, i like to almost get the plates touching my pecs on the down side of a DB press ;)

I know someone who dumbell presses nearly like I do (which I do rarely), yet doesn't bench near what I do with a barbell (which he very rarely does).

Ohh yea I forgt to mention lots of wide grip pull ups (overhand) cause the stronger your lats are, the more you will be able to bench. You lats are involved with the mechanics of te bench press as well.

Yes, lats definitely help. My bench went up when I switched to pullups vs pulldowns.

Originally posted by myCATpowerlifts
hey riss is that a new avitar?? it looks a bit different
Sha mate!! Sure is.... I take a new pic each Monday. I'm on a cut so i'm using it to kinda map the progress. I have each of the previous weeks loaded into my Online comp journal ;)

ooh ooh ok i just got good idea, riss take all of those shots and make it into a flash movie! that would be awesome

ooh ooh ok i just got good idea, riss take all of those shots and make it into a flash movie! that would be awesome

hey thats an awesome idea. doesnt even have to be flash, just a gif. would be very cool to watch.

thanks for the advice guys. tomorrow is chest day, so im gonna give all those ideas a try.

I have this same problem - I lift 180 4-5 reps as my last set on the flat bench and on the Hammerstrength I do almost 300. Of course I think that machine just makes you feel strong.

every since the movie Terminator,, I'm very leary of machines. hahaha.. Seriously,, I do better with D/Bs then Straight bar myself. I can blast out sets of 8 with 120s with Dumbells and yet can barely get 315 for 2. the only advice is to work flat bench more often. I don't care about a massive flat barbell bench so I'm fine with the poundages. All I know is whatever weight I'm pushing has been working cause I'm getting bigger and I'm always sore as the the next day.

(for the record),, Barbell movements antagonize my injured shoulder. Dumbells do not which is why I stick with the D/bell over the Barbell. It used to be the total opposite when I used the bar more.

I use DB's more often because I work out by myself and I've seen too many people trying to go heavy on flat bench by themselves that end up getting stuck.

looks good man, but u need a lil more fore arm mass dude
I think the lower part of my forearm is ok but i have just always had long skinny wrists :shrug:

I might try the giff thing ;)

Originally posted by iSlaNdEr bOy
I use DB's more often because I work out by myself and I've seen too many people trying to go heavy on flat bench by themselves that end up getting stuck.

Yup, that happens to me all the damned time actually. I try to go hard too much when I don't have a spotter. I'm going to have to stop that once I get into bigger weights. It already sucks with 215...

IML Gear Cream!
I think the lower part of my forearm is ok but i have just always had long skinny wrists

I hear you man, i have skinny ass wrists, which sux when im wearing a long-sleeve shirt, because when they stick out, i look like a twig :p

but lower fore arm is big (well big enough ;))

Back