NapsGear.net

Exercise/Set Structure...is there a superior format?

Tuna's Boys to the Bowl
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Exercise/Set Structure...is there a superior format?

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get everyone's input on different exercise/set structures. For instance, some workouts suggest pyramiding (ie. 1st set = 12 reps, 2nd set = increase weight & 10 reps, 3rd set = increase weight & 8 reps, 4th set = increase weight & 6 reps).

Other workouts simply suggest staying at the same weight throughout an exercise and increase the weight the next time the movement is done (ie. 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps with the weight staying constant until the next time this bodypart is worked).

I hope I'm making my question clear. Basically, I'm just hoping to get anyone's input on the pros and cons of these or other exercise/set structures. Which works best for you? Which seems most ideal for adding muscle effectively when working each bodypart once a week?

Many thanks!!

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I usually end up just doing drop sets. That is, I use the same weight, but decrease the number of repititions with each subsequent set, as necessary. So, it might be 6-5-4, 6-5-5-, or 6-4-3 depending on how hard I go on the first set.

However, the pyramid has also worked well for me in the past. I think it is a good idea to switch it up and try both methods. Variety seems to be key to most people's success in bodybuilding.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Re: Exercise/Set Structure...is there a superior format?

Originally posted by Mavs
    I am hoping to get everyone's input on different exercise/set structures. For instance, some workouts suggest pyramiding (ie. 1st set = 12 reps, 2nd set = increase weight & 10 reps, 3rd set = increase weight & 8 reps, 4th set = increase weight & 6 reps).

Other workouts simply suggest staying at the same weight throughout an exercise and increase the weight the next time the movement is done (ie. 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps with the weight staying constant until the next time this bodypart is worked).
    I do both, one week I will just increase weight and end the exercises at the heavy weight, next week I will do a typical pyramid low weight-high weight-low weight, other weeks I will stay at a certain weight through out the exercise.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

transformer

Rep Points

Different combinations work different depending on the person. I found when doing some types of schemes that I was saving for the last set and if that set was not taxing enough then I wasted my time doing the workout.

Give each way a good try - say 8-12 weeks and check your results then you will know how to rate them compared to you.

The answer I found for me was:
    Focus on set 1 for reps and weight giving it all I had and then doing set 2, no matter what the reps I got etc. That way I kept myself from holding back for energy.
    TwoWalks
    My Goal: To be better than yesterday

"You Can`t Flex Fat"

Rep Points

There are tons of good training principles and different approaches to acheiving hypertrophy.Give them all a shot at various times depending on your goals.Never become dogmatic, and you will always continue to learn new ways to make progress!! Add anything and everything that works for you,into your arsenal of training weapons, and use them when needed.

Tuna's Boys to the Bowl
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Great points everyone. Thank you. Sounds like it's good to mix it up every now and again...especially to keep the muscles guessing!