• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

Wal-Mart pressured to make Seiyu stop selling whale meat

kuso

Um......get rooted!
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I found this interesting........

Wal-Mart pressured to make Seiyu stop selling whale meat
Saturday, February 28, 2004 at 17:00 JST

NEW YORK ??? The Environmental Investigation Agency, which has head offices in London and Washington, on Friday urged Wal-Mart Stores Inc to force its affiliated Japanese supermarket chain operator Seiyu Ltd to stop selling whale and dolphin meat.

Seiyu has said that whale meat is part of the traditional Japanese diet and sales of it "have been entirely conducted in conformity with law." The environmental group said it hired a Japanese researcher to call 202 Seiyu retail outlets to ask if they sold whale or dolphin meat, and 123 of them said yes.

Wal-Mart has a 37% stake in Seiyu. (Kyodo News)

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&id=290026

Let them eat their whales and dolphins. Let´s not be hipocrite.

My question here is... what exactly is the different between eating whale meat and eating a nice salmon?

It seems that for some reason as humans, the larger the size of the animal the more we identify with, or find value in it. I think that is somewhat preposterous... and it has negative affects on our value scale IMO.

Rather than say they shouldnt carry it, they should push Wal-Mart to ask Seiyu to research ways to better utilize these resources and protect the environment. Both are goals that can be realized... as long as planning and dedication go into it.

Originally posted by Eggs
My question here is... what exactly is the different between eating whale meat and eating a nice salmon?

All depends on the type of whale involved.

It seems that for some reason as humans, the larger the size of the animal the more we identify with, or find value in it. I think that is somewhat preposterous... and it has negative affects on our value scale IMO.

I understand what you mean. In this case, my issue is only with the killing of endangered whales species. Non endagered whales, if managed correctly, can be taken IMO. I just wonder WHY they want to eat it.....from all reports it is not exactly very tasty, and full of fat. All well and good when they had few sources of fat and protien, but things have changed a lot over the years.

Rather than say they shouldnt carry it, they should push Wal-Mart to ask Seiyu to research ways to better utilize these resources and protect the environment. Both are goals that can be realized... as long as planning and dedication go into it.

The is actually a whale summit of sorts held each year in which representatives of each contry vote on what to do ( it does have a name, but its midnight, and I`m drunk so cannot remember :grin: ). They usually decide on a set amount and particular type of whale for the next year that Japan is allowd to take. Unfortunately, they generally get caught "accidentally" with the wrong whales killed, and more than was given permission for.

The reason I found it interesting was the US is generally know ( here anyway ) as one of the countries most strongly opposed to whaling, yet here is a US company with a large stake in a company profiting from it. This sort of thing will fuel the fights even more ( the whaling community is rather emotional about their livelyhood being controlled by world opinion rather than demand ).

Good points Kuso, and I have problems with damaging endangered species. Its no good to be King of the animals when we dont have any friggin animals left.

I think they need to invest heavily in research. Perhaps certain types of whales that are endangered stick to certain areas... and those areas should be allowed rest period for maritime species.

Well, you have to understand that the US as a whole is not exactly opposed to whaling. I think we have our radical elements that are so, but many people are open minded (I'd like to think) and are willing to discuss the situation.

Being that there are endagered whale species I think that law should regulate the industry very harshly. Its no longer necessary for protein/fat, and if its traditional, then it doesnt need to be a staple of the diet. Not an adequate comparison, but I dont think that the Japanese appreciated us dropping a couple nukes on them in WWII and the damage that insued... its truly hypocritical of them to damage another species in a similar fashion and not understand they need severe limitations. I'm not equating the two, obviously as humans we consider human life the much more valuable of the two items.

Wal-Mart is a competitive organization... they realize the need to make money, and will thus do it by means necessary in different countries. In Japan, if there is a whale market, there is certainly no reason for them not to be involved. It is their social responsibility though to insure permanent damage is not caused to the whale population because of their business deals.

Back