• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

controversy on building a nice six pack

once was fat

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I did a great deal on looking up all threads that had to do with abs. I understand how to build abs that will show. My reason for this post is some people say that its diet and lots of cardio, but some people say that cardio is overrated. Some people say you dont even have to work your abs for them to show. I myself believe that proper diet and tons of cardio along with working abs 4 days a week is the key. So is there any facts on all of the controversy on building a nice six pack. Do you have to do cardio to get them, or can you get them with just a proper diet?

This should be intresting.

to see a 6-pack (assuming you've built muscle there already) you need to lose fat, to lose fat, you need a caloric deficit.

you get a deficit by burning more than you're taking in (either by eating less/dieting or by adding cardio).

so you kind of answered your own question.

why not do both (diet and cardio) and speed the process up a little?

Originally posted by Flex
to see a 6-pack (assuming you've built muscle there already) you need to lose fat, to lose fat, you need a caloric deficit.

you get a deficit by burning more than you're taking in (either by eating less/dieting or by adding cardio).

so you kind of answered your own question.

why not do both (diet and cardio) and speed the process up a little?
I totally understand what your saying flex. I guess my response would be that there are so many theory's on how to build abs and so many gimmicks and there isnt or maybe there is only one way you cant go wrong on focusing on your abs.

it's all about BF%.... it's all about being leaner than God ever designed for MY body to be... it takes pain and discipline to get that lean... actually, I think it's just that I am a picky eater and enjoy food too much... however, I 100% agree with what flex said...

People want to generalize everything. This dose this that dose that. The truth is everyones body is different. Miles Stoval Hvy Wt. World Champ of the WNBF gets in great shape very low bodyfat but his abs are not that impressive even at around 3 or 4% bodyfat. Where as my abs are very clear at 6 or 7% and eched (as pic below) at 3 or 4%. I know he works his abs alot and I never really have all that much. I just depends on the person as it dose with most everything conserning bodybuilding. That's what make it hard there are no answers for everyone. You have to try different things to findout what works best for you. And NO ONE including me is going to know what is best for you untill you try for yourself and find out for yourself. Sorry it just gets a little frustrating how people think they know what is best for everyone just because it worked for them and/or there buddy at the gym.

Okay my rant is over. Don't worry I dont' rant often:D Just train hard and try different things till you find what works for you and when it stops working (and it will stop) change it and try somthing else. And that gose for everything I'm not just talkin about abs. Okay now I'm really done:yell: I don't know where that came from.

whatever you do to lower your bf is the answer.. no matter how big your abs are but if theres fat covering it, you cant see it..

I can tell you this, I worked my abs hard for 5 months, daily. I put alot of effort into it.
I did very little with my diet and no cardio.
I had very little results. Very little.

...and your sig and location also provides a clue as to why you didn't see results.

Mmmm... beer.

It's all BF% and genetics, really. SOme people are naturally blessed with inhuman abs (the fabled 8 pack that is completely contingent on genetics...) and have abs even at a higher body fat (I can still see my abs at around 12 or 13%)...Just diet down and see what your genetics have given you...

Peace.

IML Gear Cream!
Whenever my bodyfat goes higher, my abs are still somewhat visible, but not near what they do when the bodyfat is low. Diet does play a big part.

As Scott said, you have to find what works best for you. With me, I hardly ever do anything other than crunchs on the floor or on a flat bench. Keep working them and you'll get them.

Sorry about the rant. :suicide: I guess my diet is getting to me. It was a low carb day too :shake:

I firmly believe Abs are made in the kitchen. It may take a little longer to get their, but great things come to those who wait. Also, who wants to take a chance of burning muscle with doing a bunch of cardio. Sure you can add cardio and speed the process up but the point is to retain as much muscle as possible while dieting down.

Originally posted by buffed
whatever you do to lower your bf is the answer.. no matter how big your abs are but if theres fat covering it, you cant see it..
WRONG!! I am still a fat ass!! When i was 22% you could still see the outline.....

Again like I said before. Lucky bastard :p

Which makes me think even moreso that abs, general muscle shape, how well you cut all that kinda stuff has more to do with genetics than we give credit. :shrug:

Yes, what your abs look like have a LOT to do with genetics.

Peace.

WRONG!! I am still a fat ass!! When i was 22% you could still see the outline.....

Dag Riss, can you pass some of your genetics this way?

IML Gear Cream!
Mostly people "overtrain" the abdominal area thinking that more is better ....But it's not....The abdominal region as we know is made up of lots of stabilisers,rotators ,internal & external muscles.... everyone has these muscles within their skeletal structure....they must be specifically trained just like any other muscle group of the body for them to grow,thicken and function correctly....of course low BF will enhance the visual 6 pack look...but diet & cardio play a major role as well...xx

Personally speaking I am blessed with good genetics when it comes to abs (if only I were so lucky with glutes!!!)... I have to have a high level of bf for them NOT to show, even at my heaviest and 29% bf they were still visible!
I am currently training for a contest and am down to 11.5% bf,
I've been told so many times NOT to train abs daily and NOT to do high reps... to train them like other muscle groups. I adopted this method of training for a while but for me I was losing definition, I find that high reps (100's, usually 3 sets) and working them daily gets the best cuts for me. I really think that there is so much at play when it comes to abs, genetics, bf, and what works for the individual as far as training them is concerned.

Well BritChick ...you know that is a point as well...it is an individual thing the"ab" thing...I have good genetics too and my abs are visible all season both on & off.....Basically if you predominatley hold BF over that area of muscle it will be the last place you'll see results .xx

IMO proper diet is all you need. I would throw in a little cardio 3 times a week. But diet is numero uno!

Everyone seems to want to focus on one thing or another. Just do everything right. Cut the fat by doing more cardio and getting yourself on a proper diet and increase muscle mass by training your abs as much as they can stand it.

I know a lot of people who have had good results training their abs 7 days per week. For those of you that get the best results training your abs twice per week, good for you. However, a lot of people don't get results like that.

I got good results from never training my abs and sticking to a good, clean diet and moderate cardio program. Ab training is only essential for trianing the core, it really has very little impact on the aesthetic aspect of your abs.

Peace.

Originally posted by Premo55
I got good results from never training my abs and sticking to a good, clean diet and moderate cardio program. Ab training is only essential for trianing the core, it really has very little impact on the aesthetic aspect of your abs.

Peace.
Now i MUST disagree, when i never trained abs they never had shape, now i do and...... :D
I can see my training parnter, if he misses abs for a month they start to "fade" when he works them again they start coming out...

Thats like saying.... Bicep training is only essential for overall arm strength, it really has very little impact on the aesthetic aspect of your bicep.

when I started to lift back in 99 my goal was to have Janet Jackson abs. I worked those puppies every workout no matter what. 4 to 6 different exercises of 4 sets of 20. I dunno if that was it or not...but the abs are killer now! Pics are in gallery as proof.

Back