• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Testosterone pads for andropause?

kbm8795

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Well, I'm really sticking out my ignorance here about anabolics - I was approached at the gym last night by a graduate student in exercise science who is apparently conducting a pilot study about perceptions of steroids. He asked if I would volunteer to participate in his study, especially since I've never approached using anything like that before.

From our brief conversation, he said he wanted to compare impression and perception differences between younger lifters and..well, people over 35 (damn...I wonder how he could have known I fit into that latter category?). I agreed to participate, figuring I might learn some things about the subject.

One thing he mentioned casually (after I confirmed that I've never wanted to use them) was something called (if I recall this correctly) an andropad...or some kind of patch that contains lower testosterone levels that are particularly used for older people. He said they were used as a treatment for "andropause" which has something to do with the male equivilent to menopause changes that women experience. I've never heard or have known anything about this subject at all (yeah, I know...I turn 50 this year - am I supposed to be going thru some kind of change of life?)

I just wondered if anyone knew much about this - I'm likely to find out more during the interviews for his study, but I sure felt like I was out of touch. . .

Yes, it is referred to Hormone replacement therapy or HRT. I would do it, but if you have some "hang-up" with being natural this will surely disqualify you from that.

Rutgers is still running a survey...

http://websurvey.rutgers.edu/steroids/

Andro-pause would basically mean low androgens in old age, i.e. low testosterone. You could call it TRT (testosterone replacement thereapy) or more broadly HRT, hormonal replacement therapy.

Wow..thanks guys - this is starting to give me a clue here. It's not that I'm categorically opposed to any use, I just always was concerned about maintaining well as my body changes and I get older and thought if I wasn't careful, I'd create more physical problems.

For me, it also has to do with goals...I'm not aiming to push Flex out of the way and take down Ronnie...but I seem to make slow but steady gains by altering workouts fairly frequently and doing a good amount of cardio.

That survey looks interesting, Mudge - I'm going to bring it to that grad students attention - I also told him about this discussion forum, so maybe he'll drop in here. I'll have to do some research into when someone should consider those pads - I'm not particularly feeling any loss of testosterone but apparently there are signs I might not be aware of here.

Most family practice doctors will prescribe such items as Androderm for HRT/TRT. Androderm is available in two strengths, 2.5 mg and 5 mg and each dose provides controlled delivery of testosterone over a 24-hour period.

You can apply them to various parts of the body ... upper arms, thighs, stomach, and back.

Originally posted by kbm8795
Well, I'm really sticking out my ignorance here about anabolics - I was approached at the gym last night by a graduate student in exercise science who is apparently conducting a pilot study about perceptions of steroids. He asked if I would volunteer to participate in his study, especially since I've never approached using anything like that before.

From our brief conversation, he said he wanted to compare impression and perception differences between younger lifters and..well, people over 35 (damn...I wonder how he could have known I fit into that latter category?). I agreed to participate, figuring I might learn some things about the subject.

One thing he mentioned casually (after I confirmed that I've never wanted to use them) was something called (if I recall this correctly) an andropad...or some kind of patch that contains lower testosterone levels that are particularly used for older people. He said they were used as a treatment for "andropause" which has something to do with the male equivilent to menopause changes that women experience. I've never heard or have known anything about this subject at all (yeah, I know...I turn 50 this year - am I supposed to be going thru some kind of change of life?)

I just wondered if anyone knew much about this - I'm likely to find out more during the interviews for his study, but I sure felt like I was out of touch. . .

I wouldn't do this. I have been on hrt for 2 years and read a lot...but by no means an expert. What I do know is any amount of exogenous T will shut down your axis and your natural production...so...if you are at 600 total t now and try to "add" with a low dose of t, you will actually drop your t. If you want to add, then go with a high dose. I was on 5g androgel for a year with a total t of 420. I am now on 10 g with 654. 420 made me feel bad. Either way, I have no balls now and hate it. If your t level is fine, don't monkey around.

HRT is a business with a lot of variety. Not everyone loses their balls on low doses, and there is HCG for those that dont want to lose their balls. Not all HRT docs though will get you moving with these things, like I said there is a lot of variety out there. Some docs will give you one thing and nothing else and tell you to find someone else if you ask questions or want to modify your program.

I would agree though, HRT is not some free ticket to being a Ronnie Coleman look alike, if you dont need it then leave it alone.

Originally posted by kbm8795
(yeah, I know...I turn 50 this year - am I supposed to be going thru some kind of change of life?)

Andropause describes the collection of symptoms associated with the age-related decline in gonadal function in men, and not all men necessarily experience it. This is in contrast to the rapid decline in ovarian function in women at menopause that every woman experiences..... at andropause men experience a gradual decline in testicular function and testosterone production.

It is generally accepted that the decline in testosterone production is primarily testicular in origin. However, there is some evidence to suggest that the central component (i.e. alterations in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis) may also have a role. Stress, illness, medications, obesity, malnutrition and psychiatric conditions, all common in the elderly, tend to reduce testosterone production as well.

The reduced testosterone production in men results in diminished muscular strength, energy and libido, erectile dysfunction, depression, and osteoporosis and related fractures.

Free testosterone levels begin to decline at a rate of 1% per year after age 40 years. It is estimated that 20% of men aged 60-80 years have levels below the lower limit of normal. Although the causal relationship between declining testosterone levels and development of andropause symptoms is not firmly established, giving testosterone to to these men resulted in improvements in the above mentioned areas.

Most studies to date focused on physical benefits of testosterone replacement but they have only been carried out for two years. So long term safety, is unknown. (Remember, female hormone replacement therapy showed no adverse effect and seemingly good effects (on heart, cholesterol,alzheimers) until after five years of use....then, their dangers came out...increased strokes, heart attacks, dementia etc. ) In the psychiatric realm, preliminary data suggest that testosterone therapy may benefit elderly men with new-onset depression.

If you are at all concerned have your doc check out your hormone level although it sounds like you aren't having much problems. ( I have seen 80 year olds with testosterone levels in the high range of normal or higer than norm.)

Thanks, bandaidwoman....that helps explain this to me more thoroughly. I'm not experiencing any problems at this time, but it's a good idea to be aware of certain physical changes that may well occur. Sometimes I rather forget how old I am...which comes from playing sports with college age guys and standing in front of a classroom...and occasionally I struggle with my energy level.

HealthProblem said:
My father has been struggling greatly with Andropause :yell: . I found an article that helped me a lot in regards to understanding the problem and treatment options from a natural perspective. :thumb:

http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_format/andropause2002.cfm

I hope this can come to use for many others. I know that it gave me a stronger grasp on the topic.

Take Care- S

:rocker:

Very Good Read .... Thanks for Sharing!! :thumb:

Back