• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

bodybuilding, a sport?

Do you consider bodybuilding a sport

• yes

Votes: 54 71.1%
  • no

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters

aztecwolf

Sackin' up every day
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Do you consider bodybuilding a sport?

i personally do not consider it a sport.

i consider it a sport if it is taking seriously with discipline and an extreme amount of effort

I would say no its more of a lifestyle.

If you compete, yes, no doubt.

You prepare and enter one show and then come back here and tell me if it's a sport.

If you "lift weights" and follow a "bodybuilding lifestyle", then no that is not a sport. To be a sport there has to be some sort of competition.

i don't know i consider with something along the lines of bowling or golf, activities yes, competitive arenas yes, sport, no

Originally posted by Prince
If you compete, yes, no doubt.

You prepare and enter one show and then come back here and tell me if it's a sport.

If you "lift weights" and follow a "bodybuilding lifestyle", then no that is not a sport. To be a sport there has to be some sort of competition.

I say its a sport even if you don't compete in a sanctioned event. There is still the internal competition, which is what BB is anyways, right. If I play a game fof basketball, but I ma not in a league or anything and I am just playin around on the street, is it not atill a sport? The competition is still there.

Bodybuilding a sport

Bodybuilding is about as hardcore as it gets. If its done right 24 hours of the day are planned with nutrition and workouts. Its a lifestyle and a sport. If they call cheerleading a sport(which i am in NO WAY complaining about, ill call it whatever if they are on the field) bodybuilding is def. a sport.

i don't really consider anything that is 'judged' a sport. A sport has to be objective, ie put the ball into the basket more times than the other guys.

so gymnastics is not considered a sport to you? and basically most of the olympic sports?

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by aztecwolf
i don't know i consider with something along the lines of bowling or golf, activities yes, competitive arenas yes, sport, no

not sure how you can compare bodybuilding to bowling?

anyone that does not consider bodybuilding competition a sport has never competed, it's that simple.

Originally posted by Yanick
i don't really consider anything that is 'judged' a sport. A sport has to be objective, ie put the ball into the basket more times than the other guys.

wow, you just eliminated MANY Olympic events!

Olympic lifting is a sport, track and field, hockey, basketball, judo, wrestling?

but bodybuilding is too objective (and IMO, gymnastics, ice skating, dancing[they are kind of awarded points for technique]), ask any bodybuilder who actually competes and he will tell you different judges look for different things.

Originally posted by gr81
I say its a sport even if you don't compete in a sanctioned event. There is still the internal competition, which is what BB is anyways, right. If I play a game fof basketball, but I ma not in a league or anything and I am just playin around on the street, is it not atill a sport? The competition is still there.

EXACLTY.

how can BB not be a sport?

You physically exert yourself with goals in mind. If i go running on the street, just cuz its not a race, is taht not a sport?

If i'm just kicking a soccer ball against the wall by myself, is that not a sport?

I'm sick of getting into this arguement, its been done OVER and OVER again.

yes, its a freakin sport. and name ANYTHING that takes more discipline and determination that BB........you can't.

I wrestled in high school. Bodybuilding is so much like it...technique, strength, cardio, diet, cutting...The guy you wrestle is very much like a loaded barbell. Like it or not, you are in a sense, competing with guys around you for intensity too. When its good, you leave the gym feeling like you won a match. :lifter:

It is a sport. Sports dont have to be competive to be sports. You can play basketball by yourself in the front yard and it not be competitive and it is still a sport. It just isnt a COMPETETIVE sport. A sport can be lots of things..... even if u dont compete, you can compete against yourself.

there are 3 categories of sports:

1. Completing an objective where you have control both over your own actions and the successes of failures of your opponent. i.e. tennis, boxing, football, baseball. basically head-to-head sports.

2. Sports where achievements are measured qualitativly, where you have no control over the performance of your opponent. i.e. track events, powerlifting, golf, bowling, etc.

3. Sports where achievements are measured quantitavly, where the actions (or appearance) of the competitors are judged subjectivly by non-competitors. i.e. bodybuilding, figure skating, slam-dunk contests.

It all comes down to which of the above your consider a sport. Myself, i only believe the 1st one constitutes True Sport. Not to say, the others don't take just as much, if not more, dedication, competetivness and skill.

Originally posted by Flex
EXACLTY.

name ANYTHING that takes more discipline and determination that BB........you can't.
abstinence

not sure how you can compare bodybuilding to bowling?

anyone that does not consider bodybuilding competition a sport has never competed, it's that simple.

i'm sure many bowlers follow the bulking routine, albiet year round and on beer and nachos

nope.

try strict contest dieting for 3-4 months and then get back to me, until then you're talking out of your arse! :p

So you're definition of a sport is that it's difficult and takes alot of discipline?

Sorry but there are MANY things in life that are difficult... that does not make them a sport...

There is no rule for what is a sport and what isn't... society really dictates it... Bodybuilding to me is more of an artform than a sport...

there is a question mark in there... I'm just asking what is it about bodybuilding that makes it a sport?

Sport - An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively. (www.dictionary.com)
Bodybuilding is just as much a sport as underwater boxing:laugh: even though the number of participants may vary.

I guess... and speaking not from anything close to a competition level body or training regimen...

Gymnastics requires training and agility to incredible feats of strength, endurance, agility, and coordination... and you are judged by your performance in these areas...

Figure skating requires incredible agility and performing many technical skills in order to score high... I would say the artistic scores in figure skating are very comparable to a bodybuilding competition... however, the technical score is unmatched in comparison...

While I DO feel that power lifting is a sport... because there is a certain skills presented... I don't feel that bodybuilding competitions showcase any skill... obviously skill is needed to a certain degree to train for a competition... but that is not what is judged, it is purely an asthetic contest...

Are beauty pagents a sport? Is Miss Universe a professional athlete? I'm not trying to insult any bodybuilder... I'm just discussing how i feel about it...

Originally posted by HoldDaMayo
Gymnastics requires training and agility to incredible feats of strength, endurance, agility, and coordination... and you are judged by your performance in these areas...

Bodybuilding takes training and agility to complete incredible feats of strength, endurance, agility and coordination......and you are judged by the muscle you have developed in these areas.

but you aren't judged by your skill or feats of strength... you are judged on flexing ability and your asthetics...

I'm not saying that BB'ing is easy, I'm not saying that it's easier than playing basketball, or football or baseball... what I am saying is imo it's more beauty pagent than sport...

Back