Big A** Spider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big A** Spider

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Big A** Spider

Damn! From someone stationed in Baghdad. He was recently bitten by a camel spider which was hiding in his sleeping bag. I thought you'd like to see what a camel spider looks like. It'll give you a better idea of what our troops are dealing with. Enclosed is a picture of his friend holding up two spiders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Fighting Endometriosis

Rep Points

Don't hate the player, hate the game!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/...the%20wave.GIF
    Before you talk about what you want - appreciate what you have.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gwcaton/s...ctures/tmf.jpg
    A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband. -Honore de Balzac
    Desire+Consistency='s RESULTS

training to be Goku

Rep Points

must be easy to get roid over there b/c I think that spider has been juicin

I see YOU!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Is that TWO spiders? ewww.....
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."

Fighting Endometriosis

Rep Points

Don't hate the player, hate the game!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/...the%20wave.GIF

A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband. -Honore de Balzac

Fighting Endometriosis

Rep Points

This FEEERRRRREEEEEEEKKKKKKEEEEEE

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcamelspider.html

addicted to the crack

Rep Points

ever seen that movie "8 legged freaks"....i thought it was all computer generated spiders...but i guess they could have filmed it in baghdad.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us.

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

The size of a camel spider is only a third of the story. The other two thirds are it's speed and it's agressiveness. Those suckers are fast and MEAN!!! The only good point is their venom isn't all that harmfull. Their bite hurts like hell, but it won't put you in any danger.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by ALBOB
    The size of a camel spider is only a third of the story. The other two thirds are it's speed and it's agressiveness. Those suckers are fast and MEAN!!! The only good point is their venom isn't all that harmfull. Their bite hurts like hell, but it won't put you in any danger.
    What, did you read this? No venom!

Urban legends about the camel spider (properly termed a solpugid or solifugid) are as old as the proverbial hills, but they made a huge resurgence when vectored by American troops in Kuwait during Desert Storm. They're not quite as big as your hand (unless you're a five-year-old), and very shy and secretive. They do like to hide in the shadows, and they do run very, very quickly for a critter (they can reach about 10 MPH, the fastest known non-flying arthropod). They make no noise whatsoever, they have no venom whatsoever, and they do not eat flesh--they eat small desert arthropods like crickets and pillbugs. The rumors of their attacking camels, or crawling onto sleeping GIs' faces, apparently stem from one of two things, both of which may be true to some extent: (1) they may use hair to line their burrow when they are about to lay a batch of eggs, said hair being clipped from dead camels or other dead mammals (and a sleeping GI is not much different), and/or (2) dead camels are covered with flies, and crawling over a camel corpse may make for a convenient way to get a good meal of flies.

We have camel spiders in the sandy parts of the southwest U.S. and Mexico (in Mexico they are called matevenados), considerably smaller than the Middle Eastern types, but of the same shy, unassuming habits. Completely harmless and beneficial critters, like the desert equivalent of a praying mantis.
    P-side Inc.

"the post-workout high is more profound than any drug-induced rush imaginable." -Dante B.

training to be Goku

Rep Points

wow thanks for the nature lesson man

I'm special :)

Rep Points

They have some of these huge scary ass spiders in Greece (down by the farm).. they come out at night and are attracted to light... but they are poisonous, so they are probably not the same

Rebel without a clue
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

We have those here (solpugid) in NM. First time I saw one here, I was like "WTF is that? It looks like a camel spider".

One note about that picture. It makes the spiders look bigger than they actually are. (Note the size of the sleeve on the right).

I ran into a few of them in the first Gulf War, but it's not like they are a foot across or anything. Biggest one I saw was perhaps 4 inches from front to back. (about the size of your palm, which is about the same size these appear to be.)

I'm Pritty!

Rep Points

Well... the good news is... theyre so fucking huge theyd be pretty hard to miss..... unless you roll over onto one while your sleeping or something .... and since theyre nocturnal and all well..... yeah those things definately suck...

Rebel without a clue
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You'd be surprised how hard they ARE to miss. Most of the time, we were surprised by them.

Here's some info I dug up on them:

Like all arachnids, the Solifugids have eight legs, and their body is in two parts, a 'prosoma' equivalent to a thorax and an 'opisthosoma' or abdomen. Like scorpions, but unlike spiders, Solifugids have no narrow waste or 'pedicel'. Their chelicerae are extremely powerful, and are perhaps the most formidable jaws in the terrestrial animal kingdom in relationship to the size of the animal carrying them. They are not venomous but are fast and powerful. Their pedipals do not end in a claw but in a suctorial organ and their first pair of legs are long and thin and are not used for walking but are used as feeler like an insect uses its antennae, they are therefore referred to in some places as being 'antennaeform'. Their 4th pair of legs possess 5 (3 in the Hexisopodidae) 'malleoli' or 'racquet organs'. Their bodies and legs are hairy, they are generally 1-5 cms long (though Galeodes arabs often looks to be 12cm or more long when its legs are taken into consideration, and mostly uniform in colour, yellow, brown or black, though a few are patterned. They have a well developed tracheal system which helps them get the oxygen they need for their extremely active lives. They live predominantly in hot dry desert like areas, there are only 6 species in Europe and they all live in the Southern Europe only. They can stridulate (make a noise) by rubbing together a piar of horny ridges on the insides of their chelicerae.

*Note: Above when I said they were about the size of the palm of your hand, I was meaning with the legs. We never picked them up, and I myself was judging size based on the legs. I guess science measures the body length.

We also killed any of them that we found (after teasing them, making them bite stuff, etc.)

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Originally posted by PreMier
    What, did you read this? No venom!
    No, it's what the doctor told me as he was treating my bite.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Originally posted by Titanya
    Well... the good news is... theyre so fucking huge theyd be pretty hard to miss:
    Too bad Crono doesn't pay your boobs any attention

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Good luck killing that with a paper towel or a kleenex.

I have such bad acracnaphobia that if I ever came in contact witht that thing I would probably just start to cry.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

Originally posted by PreMier
    and very shy and secretive.
    I'm not so sure about the shy part.
    kinda funny:
    Friend and I were on foot partol in 'Saudi in '94.
    (we were SP's ((cops))
    here we are, two grown men heavily armed, each with an m-16 and a couple hundred rounds.
    A camel spider was walking past us, closer to my friend. He stomped his boot next to the spider to scare it. It flittered away about 10 feet or so, the spun around in a fraction of a second and came running at my friend..and jumped onto his leg!
    Never seen a man scream like a litle girl like that before! (just glad it wsan't me...)
    They are nasty things though!
    Some ofthe guys would cut the ends off water bottles and catch either 2 camel spiders or a camel spider and a scorpion, put the bottles together and watch them fight..
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

I'm Pritty!

Rep Points

Originally posted by dg806
    Too bad Crono doesn't pay your boobs any attention
    yes... they too are large and hard to miss... yet easy to roll over onto in your sleep (did i just slam myself )

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

nope, but it paints a pretty picture.....
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

I'm Pritty!

Rep Points

Originally posted by Burner02
    nope, but it paints a pretty picture.....
    Ok thats reassuring

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

now, post some pics to prove me right!

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

I'm Pritty!

Rep Points

OK! hows this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

oohh... I LOVE what you've done with your hair! blue REALLY does it for me...

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

I'm Pritty!

Rep Points

lol....do you think we might be getting a little carried away with the whole bouncing boobie cartoons? Or are bouncing boobies just always fun...

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

well, cartoons are ok, but color me silly..but I still prefer the real thing...

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

I'm Pritty!

Rep Points

Originally posted by Burner02
    well, cartoons are ok, but color me silly..but I still prefer the real thing...
    Well since I wont be performing or posting the bouncing boobie dance in person any time soon... you'll just have to settle for my cutesy cartoon dolls.... I've got a big collection of them in case you didnt notice

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

Originally posted by Titanya
    you'll just have to settle for my cutesy bouncing boobies.... I've got some big ones in case you didnt notice
    don't ya just love..cut-n-paste...

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

Rep Points

god damn i would rather get in bed next to a crazy iraqi than with that thing, i have insects,

Rebel without a clue
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

What kind of insects do you have?