• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Big A** Spider

ZECH

Founder of GOSB
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Damn! From someone stationed in Baghdad. He was recently bitten by a camel spider which was hiding in his sleeping bag. I thought you'd like to see what a camel spider looks like. It'll give you a better idea of what our troops are dealing with. Enclosed is a picture of his friend holding up two spiders.

:eek: :eek:

must be easy to get roid over there b/c I think that spider has been juicin

Is that TWO spiders? ewww.....

ever seen that movie "8 legged freaks"....i thought it was all computer generated spiders...but i guess they could have filmed it in baghdad.

The size of a camel spider is only a third of the story. The other two thirds are it's speed and it's agressiveness. Those suckers are fast and MEAN!!! :eek: The only good point is their venom isn't all that harmfull. Their bite hurts like hell, but it won't put you in any danger.

Originally posted by ALBOB
The size of a camel spider is only a third of the story. The other two thirds are it's speed and it's agressiveness. Those suckers are fast and MEAN!!! :eek: The only good point is their venom isn't all that harmfull. Their bite hurts like hell, but it won't put you in any danger.

What, did you read this? No venom!

Urban legends about the camel spider (properly termed a solpugid or solifugid) are as old as the proverbial hills, but they made a huge resurgence when vectored by American troops in Kuwait during Desert Storm. They're not quite as big as your hand (unless you're a five-year-old), and very shy and secretive. They do like to hide in the shadows, and they do run very, very quickly for a critter (they can reach about 10 MPH, the fastest known non-flying arthropod). They make no noise whatsoever, they have no venom whatsoever, and they do not eat flesh--they eat small desert arthropods like crickets and pillbugs. The rumors of their attacking camels, or crawling onto sleeping GIs' faces, apparently stem from one of two things, both of which may be true to some extent: (1) they may use hair to line their burrow when they are about to lay a batch of eggs, said hair being clipped from dead camels or other dead mammals (and a sleeping GI is not much different), and/or (2) dead camels are covered with flies, and crawling over a camel corpse may make for a convenient way to get a good meal of flies.

We have camel spiders in the sandy parts of the southwest U.S. and Mexico (in Mexico they are called matevenados), considerably smaller than the Middle Eastern types, but of the same shy, unassuming habits. Completely harmless and beneficial critters, like the desert equivalent of a praying mantis.

IML Gear Cream!
They have some of these huge scary ass spiders in Greece (down by the farm).. they come out at night and are attracted to light... but they are poisonous, so they are probably not the same :shrug:

We have those here (solpugid) in NM. First time I saw one here, I was like "WTF is that? It looks like a camel spider".

One note about that picture. It makes the spiders look bigger than they actually are. (Note the size of the sleeve on the right).

I ran into a few of them in the first Gulf War, but it's not like they are a foot across or anything. Biggest one I saw was perhaps 4 inches from front to back. (about the size of your palm, which is about the same size these appear to be.)

:D Well... the good news is... theyre so fucking huge theyd be pretty hard to miss:hair:..... unless you roll over onto one while your sleeping or something :gosh:.... and since theyre nocturnal and all well:hmmm:..... yeah those things definately suck...:no:

You'd be surprised how hard they ARE to miss. Most of the time, we were surprised by them.

Here's some info I dug up on them:

Like all arachnids, the Solifugids have eight legs, and their body is in two parts, a 'prosoma' equivalent to a thorax and an 'opisthosoma' or abdomen. Like scorpions, but unlike spiders, Solifugids have no narrow waste or 'pedicel'. Their chelicerae are extremely powerful, and are perhaps the most formidable jaws in the terrestrial animal kingdom in relationship to the size of the animal carrying them. They are not venomous but are fast and powerful. Their pedipals do not end in a claw but in a suctorial organ and their first pair of legs are long and thin and are not used for walking but are used as feeler like an insect uses its antennae, they are therefore referred to in some places as being 'antennaeform'. Their 4th pair of legs possess 5 (3 in the Hexisopodidae) 'malleoli' or 'racquet organs'. Their bodies and legs are hairy, they are generally 1-5 cms long (though Galeodes arabs often looks to be 12cm or more long when its legs are taken into consideration, and mostly uniform in colour, yellow, brown or black, though a few are patterned. They have a well developed tracheal system which helps them get the oxygen they need for their extremely active lives. They live predominantly in hot dry desert like areas, there are only 6 species in Europe and they all live in the Southern Europe only. They can stridulate (make a noise) by rubbing together a piar of horny ridges on the insides of their chelicerae.

*Note: Above when I said they were about the size of the palm of your hand, I was meaning with the legs. We never picked them up, and I myself was judging size based on the legs. I guess science measures the body length.

We also killed any of them that we found (after teasing them, making them bite stuff, etc.)

Originally posted by PreMier
What, did you read this? No venom!

No, it's what the doctor told me as he was treating my bite. :shrug:

Originally posted by Titanya
:D Well... the good news is... theyre so fucking huge theyd be pretty hard to miss:
Too bad Crono doesn't pay your boobs any attention
:D

Good luck killing that with a paper towel or a kleenex.

I have such bad acracnaphobia that if I ever came in contact witht that thing I would probably just start to cry.

Originally posted by PreMier
and very shy and secretive.
I'm not so sure about the shy part.
kinda funny:
Friend and I were on foot partol in 'Saudi in '94.
(we were SP's ((cops))
here we are, two grown men heavily armed, each with an m-16 and a couple hundred rounds.
A camel spider was walking past us, closer to my friend. He stomped his boot next to the spider to scare it. It flittered away about 10 feet or so, the spun around in a fraction of a second and came running at my friend..and jumped onto his leg!
Never seen a man scream like a litle girl like that before! (just glad it wsan't me...)
They are nasty things though!
Some ofthe guys would cut the ends off water bottles and catch either 2 camel spiders or a camel spider and a scorpion, put the bottles together and watch them fight..

Originally posted by dg806
Too bad Crono doesn't pay your boobs any attention

:p yes... they too are large and hard to miss... yet easy to roll over onto in your sleep (did i just slam myself :scratch: )

nope, but it paints a pretty picture.....

now, post some pics to prove me right!
:dance: :grin:

oohh... I LOVE what you've done with your hair! blue REALLY does it for me...
:)

lol....do you think we might be getting a little carried away with the whole bouncing boobie cartoons? Or are bouncing boobies just always fun...

well, cartoons are ok, but color me silly..but I still prefer the real thing...

Originally posted by Burner02
well, cartoons are ok, but color me silly..but I still prefer the real thing...

Well since I wont be performing or posting the bouncing boobie dance in person any time soon... you'll just have to settle for my cutesy cartoon dolls.... I've got a big collection of them in case you didnt notice :D

Originally posted by Titanya
you'll just have to settle for my cutesy bouncing boobies.... I've got some big ones in case you didnt notice :D
don't ya just love..cut-n-paste...
:)

god damn i would rather get in bed next to a crazy iraqi than with that thing, i have insects,

What kind of insects do you have? ;) :D

Back