• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Is 15-20mins of light-moderat cardio on rest days bad if in a toning period?

IML Gear Cream!
Isn't it obvious? Getting lean, getting cut, getting a harder body, getting more definition. That's what I mean.

Mr_Snafu said:
What do you mean by "toning up?"

What is your definition of tone?

That word is one of the biggest B.S. concepts I've ever heard. It's for suburban "fitness centers" that are marketing to flabby housewives, and male beer-bellied heart attack candidates.
:hehe:

JLB001

What is your definition of tone?

That word is one of the biggest B.S. concepts I've ever heard. It's for suburban "fitness centers" that are marketing to flabby housewives, and male beer-bellied heart attack candidates.

Whatever dude you get the point. Getting a harder body, lean muscle mass, definition, vascularity, cuts, cutting, getting ripped, dieting down to get lean, it all means the same sh!t.

I'm not sure why I am bothering...but here it goes anyway.

first of all breaking down fat is a catabolic activity...there are several things you can do to maximize fat catabolism while sparing muscle.

cortisol levels are very high in the morning...they remain high if you dont eat...and get even higher if you train (cardio or lifting).

cortisol is VERY catabolic but not specific to muscle or fat...it will break down both.
the trick then would be to minimize muscle breakdown but not inhibit fat breakdown.

this can be accomplished by taking some BCAA's , glutamine, or a protein drink before morning cardio.

what you dont want to do is have carbs...as these will increase insulin and make it near impossible to burn fat at your most efficient rate.

again, we must remember individuality...I find that morning cardio does not burn off my muscle...only my fat.....and i do get bodyfat tested every week so it is not just speculation. Others may find that it burns off muscle and may want to use some protein or avoid doing it all together.

Cardio can be used in several different ways as well.
1. as a tool to create a calorie defecit.....if this is your only goal for cardio then it really doesnt matter when you do it or what is in your stomach.....you are just concerned about burning calories.
2. to amp up metabolism by stimulating the thyroid.....this would involve HITT type of intense training....again...who cares about what is in your stomach...eat if you want.
3.to burn as much fat as possible...in this case you want to maximize every avenue you can to ensure that fat will be burned as fuel rather than carbs or muscle.this would invole morning cardio on an empty stomach. This is where we have our argument.

IMO...if you are so concerned about losing muscle mass then I would do as little cardio as possible and control your diet to get the results you want...it may take longer but it is less likely to cause muscle wasting.

Or,,in Johnnny's cae....you can just take a laxative to lose weight....because I'm pretty sure any excess weight you have is because you are FULL OF SHIT.

DrChiro said:
what you dont want to do is have carbs...as these will increase insulin and make it near impossible to burn fat at your most efficient rate.
Understanding Cardio???s Effect on Fat Metabolism
by Paul Delia

Energy expenditure during cardio is very misunderstood. What is even more misunderstood is energy expenditure after cardio as a result of the cardio. When doing cardio, the primary energy source your body uses is glycogen. Your body uses very little, if any, fat stores for energy during cardio. Even if you haven't eaten food for several hours your body still uses glycogen as its primary energy source. You must let go of the wrong assumption that you are actually burning fat while you are doing cardio. You are not!

The benefit you get from cardio, from a fat burning standpoint (there are many other health benefits), is its effect on your resting metabolic rate. Your resting metabolic rate is the amount of energy your body expends when you are not exerting yourself, at rest. Cardio training, and especially Max-OT Cardio, has a dramatic elevating effect on your body's resting metabolic rate.

When you increase your resting metabolic rate, you increase your body's overall fat burning capabilities - you make your body much more efficient at burning body fat. Max-OT Cardio will make your body a 24-hour a day fat burning furnace. The problem with conventional, long duration, low intensity cardio is that it has minimum impact on increasing your resting metabolic rate. However, long duration, low intensity cardio will deplete glycogen stores. When this happens, you will start primarily utilizing lean muscle for your energy needs. Long duration cardio will break down muscle tissue.

http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=97

Robert DiMaggio

That was a very informative piece of information & link. I personally already do that form of cardio in 15mins & do interval training on the treadmill. I do sprints & each 15 second sprint gets harder & faster & faster all the way up to a speed of around 10.5mph & I even on several sprints put an incline angle on the treadmill. It's great, I always do it after my weights. I find it works very well plus I don't have time during the day to go to the gym twice a day b/c of work or if I'm working at home that morning I like to get an extra 30 or 60mins of sleep which is very important for recovery.

Johnnny said:
Robert DiMaggio

That was a very informative piece of information & link.

Ditto, That awnsered quite a few linguering questions. Thanks!(But ya know.. you ruined a perfectly good debate again Rob :) :thumb: )

There will always going to be different view on how to Burn fats in bb and fitness community. Some say empty stomach while some say is wrong. The only way is by trying all-type then one can decided what way to go. Science never ends. bodybuilding Science is an evolution .

Back