A Few Questions....

Rep Points

A Few Questions....

Hi...
    I have been doing a little research and I'm a litte confused. First off, I'm 6'5" and 301 lbs. My goal is to just lose weight and be lean. My plan is to do a simple 6 days a week routine, something like:

monday - cardio
    tuesday - chest/triceps
    wednesday - cardio
    thursday - back/biceps
    friday - cardio
    saturday - legs/shoulders
    sunday - rest

I'm confused on the "cardio on an empty stomach" idea. I have heard it's good for fat loss then I have heard it's bad. Also I understand diet plays a big role as well. I read on one site to down a protein shake when you wake, then do your cardio, then down a shake after the cardio, then have your first meal an hour later. Anyone have any advice? Should I just do the cardio on an empty stomach and eat an hour after or what? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

MP Minister of Pain!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think the routine is fine as long as you stick to light volume training for now, this is assuming you don't lift or haven't in a while. The only thing that worries me is the legs/shoulders, legs should really be worked by themselves b/c they are such large muscles. You don't want to overtrain yourself, its not fun. I don't mind going 5 or 6 days straight with training, I find I get better results doing a similar plan to yours but to each is own.

As for cardio the best time is to do it as soon as you wake up or after weights. If you do it in the morning I would recomend downing a shake then cardio then another shake then your meals as you have stated. This will help to maintain your LBM as well as burn fat. This will be argued to death on this board though and if you want try a search on the topic and you will find hundreds of posts debating it. Also a frequent answer to questions such as these is experiment. Try it on an empty stomach for a while then try it with a shake and see which works bests for you. Some have problems working out or doing cardio on an empty stomach and start to feel faint and others can deal with it. For me it sounds like you are heading on the right track but experiment, wait for more responses, and do what you feel is best for your body.

Best of luck.
    "Only in dictionaries does SUCCESS come before WORK." -Alfred K. Henderson

Today I do what others will not so that tomorrow I can do what others cannot!

Rep Points

Thanks DeadBolt.....

Now another question. Would that go the same with weight training? I will be working out in the mornings. I just can't seem to take in solid foods early, makes me feel sick. So, should I do a shake before and after my weight training. Also, do i need to wait a certain amount of time before training after I drink a shake? That question is for both cardio and weight training.

Thanks again...
    Steve

MP Minister of Pain!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

No if thats the case do the same for both cardio and lifting. Shake before and after followed by some real food 30-60 minutes after post WO shake. Some will also eat a little fruit before a workout for the sugars and carbs, just a thought for ya.
    "Only in dictionaries does SUCCESS come before WORK." -Alfred K. Henderson

Today I do what others will not so that tomorrow I can do what others cannot!