Illness caused by overtraining? - A few questions

Lord

Rep Points

Illness caused by overtraining? - A few questions

Alright, sorry for the long post:

History - 20 years old - I have been doing moderate cardio for more than a year and have suceeded in losing about 55 pounds of bodyfat. 270 to 215, it was tough as shit but I really wanted to change my life. I just recently got active in lifting serious weights to fill out some of the loose skin and also just learned about HIIT cardio about a month ago.

Routine - Semi HIIT running every day except wednsday for 20 minutes with about 4-6 minutes being absolute sprints (2nd and 4th laps of a 5 lap run) followed by my weight routine directly afterwards (the 15 minutes it takes for me to walk from the park to the gym) Weights: mon-chest/tris, tues-legs, wed-rest, thurs-shoulders, fri-back/bi's.

Questions
    -I have been on this routine for about 3 weeks feeling great until BAM- woke up thursday morning dead sick with flu (keep in mind I get sick like once every 2 years or so, no joke) so basically:

1) Is there any such thing as overtraining the cardiovascular system? Is this what happened? I run seriously 6 days a week(the only reason I take off wednsdays is because I lift legs on tuesday)

2) Cardio bad before weightlifting? (this one is tough for me - I love to drink water while lifting its just something to do between sets kindof a habit, if I go do cardio afterwards with like a half gallon of water on board I am going to lose it for sure)

3) Does this routine generally look halfway descent or are there serious flaws like dont weightlift and HIIT at the same time?

Conclusion - the reason I do this is because I still really want to lose the last 10 -12% of body fat to get at least somewhat "ripped"( I was way above 30% and am guessing now around 20%) Also I really never knew how much I enjoy weightlifting until I started a few months ago, I am literally twice as stong in all my lifts and really have lost some serious fat too. Basically I dont think I could psychologically work so hard on the cardio without the weights - I almost look foreward to lifting while I am running...strange?

Sorry again for such a long post but it is my first and I had a lot of questions...

Working on a new me!

Rep Points

You wear on your body so I would imagine your immune system is down.

I swear I have woke up sick like that twice after doing deadlifts. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.
    "Fear profits man nothing."

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Work causes cortisol buildup, some cortisol is good but too much is bad and will eventually cause sickness.

If you overtrained though I have no idea, there are many possibilities as to how you can get sick.

Lord

Rep Points

Yeah i am kindof thinking that my immune system was suppressed because of the heavy cardio workouts so is there a point when cardio can reach a peak and start to become destructive? I always thought subconsciously the more i run (HIIT wise x # of weekdays) the more i am going to lose (i have pretty good diet too) Is there an optimal amount of cardio that you guys can suggest for someone with my goals? I was thinking of possibly spreading my weight sessions into the weekend and using more off days for the cardio. Also is it ok to keep doing the cardio before the weight room because of the water thing?

thanks for the help!

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zin
    so is there a point when cardio can reach a peak and start to become destructive?
    There is a point when anything is healthy, would you not think that running for 24 hours straight could be downright deadly? Of course it could be, so yes there is a point when anything eventually is going to cause breakdown.

If you are trying to avoid muscle loss you dont want to do hardcore cardio anyway, 60-65% 'max' heart rate will be plenty effective over 45 minutes and is easily reached. For me that is only 125bpm, I can hit that easily just on the gym floor.

The water thing

Lord

Rep Points

Water thing look at number 2 in the origional post.

Sounds like I am going to cut my cardio down a little so I will have to spread my gym days apart more.

Woah, and this is a cool smiley -