• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

MonStar's Journal: Strong & Lean

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.J.H.

Obsessed
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Decided to change up things quite a bit this time around here in my journal. I am going to continue doing the same program, SF's version of Westside basically. And the program honestly isn't going to change all that much at all. Here is the most updated version of what I am doing:

Lower Body 1 (deadlift)
Deads/GoodAMs (sometimes we'll do speed work): to a 1RM (always mix it up)
Compound Assist: high/low (pick any leg lift you like. leg press, SLDL, etc)
Legs: 4 sets of 6 (prefer hamstrings here, hypers maybe?)
Back: 5 sets of 5 (rowing or chinning, etc)
Biceps: whatever you want

Upper Body 1
Flat Bench (or variation): sets of 3 to a 3RM
Variety Pressing (JM's, CG Decline, Dips, etc): high/low like you do now
Triceps: 2-3 sets of 4-8 (skulls, etc)
Shoulders: 4 sets of 6 (heavy like a db press or uprights) (waves, this will change often)
Shoulders: 2 sets of 12 (side laterals or front raise)

Lower Body 2 (squat)
Squats/Good AMs (sometimes we'll do speed work): to a 1RM (always mixing it up)
Compound Assist: high/low (SLDL, Good AMs, etc)
Heavy Legs (something suspended, or even negatives): 6 sets of 4 (hypers, suspended AMs, etc)
Hamstrings: 4 sets of 6 reps
Heavy Back: 3-6 sets of 4-6 reps (rowing)
Heavy Back: 3 sets of 8 (chins, whatever)
Biceps: anything you want

Upper Body 2
Close-grip Bench (or variation, treated as a warmup): sets of 5 to a 5RM
Rack Lockouts: to a 1RM (vary the lockout, 4", 6", etc)
Triceps: 8 sets of 4-6 (skulls, oh db press, etc and go HEAVY)
Triceps: 4 sets of 6 (pushdowns, dips, etc)
Shoulders: 4 sets of 6 (side laterals or front raises)
What is going to change radically is my diet. I am going to be doing a somewhat modified version of NHE, to drop some flab. I honestly have just been letting my bodyfat get somewhat out of control lately. Even though I am training for strength there is no reason why I cannot be strong and lean, at the same time.

NHE, to those of you who are unfamiliar, stands for a book called "Natural Horomonal Enhancement" by Rob Faigin. The book IMO is absolutely wonderful. The diet in a nutshell is basically Atkin's style all of the time, and then roughy every 3rd or 4th day I will have a refeed. On a refeed day basically the day is normal for the most part and then at night I will refeed on low-fat, high-carb foods for 3-4 hours. It's basically a chance to pig out on carbs without eating a lot of fat at all. Usually its a lot of fun, to be completely honest.

I wanted to add the NHE website to those of you who would like more info:

http://www.extique.com/

My strength I am hoping will still progress, especially since with the M1T, and since I am also taking SAN's V-12. Another thing that I want to add is that even though I may not be taking in carbs, I will still be keeping my calories high, that's for sure. Going to be eating a lot of fats and proteins.

Feel free to post comments, questions, suggestions, etc. :thumb:

---Added a starting pic. I weighed 228.5 lbs. today.

Last edited:
Another journal? :rofl:

Good luck, bud. ;)

Are you trying to lose me? Everytime I subscribe to your journal you get a new one. I can take a hint Mike!!! :)

:haha:

Good luck man.

Good Luck :thumb: . I'm doing a low carb diet right now and I'm going to do refeeds every four days or so, so I'm curious as to what you decide to do. :)

Monolith: Yeah, another journal, diet radically changed, had to create a new one.

rock: Nah, not trying to lose you at all bro, lol. I enjoy your posts here in my journal. Sorry about having to subscribe all over the place!

PreMier: LOL, thanks man. :D

gwcaton: Thanks so much man, really means a lot. It's definitely a diet that I am familiar with, and I usually do not have much of a problem sticking with it for whatever reason. I guess just because I can always look forward to the refeeds, etc.

GRIFF: Thanks man. :thumb:

Andrea: Wow, nice to see that someone else is on a low-carb diet right now as well. I am guessing that I'll be doing refeeds every few days like that. I havn't honestly given it all that much thought at this point. I usually try and go on no/low carbs as long as possible at first to get my body as far into ketosis as possible before refeeding.

16-10-2004

Lower Body 1

Conventional Deadlifts:
135x3, 225x3, 275x2, 315x1, 365x1, 405x1, 455x1, 495x1, 545x1, 625x1!

SLDL:
405x4, 405x4, 405x4, 405x4, 405x4, 405x4

Hyperextensions:
95x6, 95x6, 95x6, 95x6

Parallel-Grip Cable Pulldowns:
200x6, 200x6, 200x6, 200x6

Stiff-Arm Cable Pullovers:
120x12, 120x12

Hammer Curls:
60x8, 60x8

Good workout tonight, especially considering that I was running on absolutely no carbs at all. I am really going to try and keep my training intensity up since I am running on pretty much no carbs at all. Started off working up to a 1RM pulling conventional. Worked up to 625, definitely a big PR there. 20 lbs. more than my previous PR. Had one of the powerlifters at my gym watching my technique the entire time. Definitely good to use for motivation. Never had anyone yelling at me to get it up either. So 625 definitely came up strong.

Moved onto 6 sets of 4, SLDL, which completely f*cking destroyed my lower back and hamstrings. Really really good sets. After the SLDL I moved onto hypers, which were just torture. My lower back was so friggin' gone I had nothing left. Good sets though, did the hypers Zercher style, really really good. After the hypers I did some cable pulldowns which smoked the sh*t outta' my lats. Used a shoulder-width parallel-grip which I really liked. Some pullovers and hammers, and I was done.

Diet:
- 3 scrambled eggs + cheese, 4 slices bacon
- tuna + mayo
- whey protein postworkout
- chicken & beef garden salad
- 3 hot dogs, low-carb ice-cream

Diet was pretty good today I think. It is really tough eating low-carb style again especially since I am so used to eating carbs. I think that I should get used to it pretty easily though, as long as I keep my fat intake up.

Sleep: 8 hours.

Weight: 228.5 lbs.

I am currently in a M1T cycle, at 10mg per day, and I am just about ready to bump this dosage up to 15mg per day. I am about 6 days into the cycle, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
So your not worried about No carbs messing with such a heavy w/o schedule? Are you going to be doing any cardio or just weights and diet? What are you parameters when doing this diet, all protein and fat is game or do you try to stay with Lean protein? How often are you eating? After your post w/o meal, how long till you eat your next meal. Sorry for all the questions, my diet is up in the air right now and I'm trying to figure out what to do with this new lifting program.

IML Gear Cream!
rock: I am somewhat worried but not really, honestly. Strength gains for the most part are due to CNS adaptation. So I think that cutting carbs may hinder some of my accessory work maybe, but in terms of my 1RM's, I think I should be fine. We'll see what happens obviously. The diet is Atkin's style, basically just fats and protein, very very low-carb. I try to eat another meal after my postworkout meal within 2 hours, if possible.

6-11-2004​

Upper Body 1

Flat BB Presses:
135x3, 185x3, 215x2, 245x1, 275x1, 305x1, 335x1, 365x0

Tate Presses:
80x4, 80x4, 80x4, 80x4, 80x4, 80x4

Cable Pressdowns:
200x12, 200x12

Seated DB Presses:
70x6, 70x6, 70x6, 70x6

Nautilus Lateral Raises:
180x12, 180x12

Pretty good workout today, although I missed 365 on bench. :( I really thought that I was going to hit it today. I went to the gym with tons of energy, really focused, etc. I am not sure why I missed it. My spotter said that I was only a couple of inches from locking it out. I think I got about 3/4's of the way up with it. I just hit a wall right before lockout. Fought the wall that I hit for 4-5 seconds my spotter said and just couldn't finish. F*ck. Oh well.

Tate presses were pretty good I think, my left elbow has still been giving me some trouble. Whatever. 6 sets of 4 with the 80's, not too bad at all. Pressdowns were good, too. Used the entire stack for 2 sets of 12. Triceps were beat. Seated DB presses felt great, very strong. I think its time that I bump these up to the 75's or 80's for 4 sets of 6. Laterals were good, nice overall workout.

Diet:
- 2 scrambled eggs + cheese, 3 pieces of bacon
- salted peanuts
- Atkin's bar
- ham & cheese
- 4 hot dogs + cheese
- garden salad + Ranch dressing
- low-carb ice-cream
- tuna + mayo

Diet was pretty good today I think. I am really honestly having no problem at all with this low-carb eating so far. I probably ended up taking in roughly 30g of carbs today I would say. Something along those lines.

Sleep: 7.5 hours.

Weight: 226 lbs.

Today is day 7 of my M1T cycle. So starting tomorrow I am going to bump my dosage up to 5mg 3x per day. Hopefully my gains will really start to take off in the next week or so. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
MonStar said:
Diet:
- 3 scrambled eggs + cheese, 4 slices bacon
- tuna + mayo
- chicken & beef garden salad
- 3 hot dogs, low-carb ice-cream

Diet was pretty good today I think. It is really tough eating low-carb style
:rolleyes:

What kinda cycle are you running your M1t for? I am sure it was posted in your other jounal but I didnt catch it.

LOL

Mon, are you still eating breaded chicken too? :lol:

And dont worry about the bench, man. If you came that close to locking it out, youll have it for sure in another week (especially since youre on M1T). Just beat the crap out of your tri's. :D

You're supposed to be working up to a 3RM on bench on Upper1. We want to train the lower portion of the ROM on that day.

Workouts look good. Definitely need to focus up on lockout strength apparently. On your next bench day set the pins a bit below where you were freezing. Work up to a weight you can do for 2-3 reps and do as many sets of 2-3 as you can until your arms fall off. Drop the shoulder work this time around and just do triceps accessory work afterwards.

Hey Monstar!!

As far as your diet, isn't going into ketosis a BAD thing? I thought that was when your bod starts burning MUSCLE??
Be careful with that Atkins diet... my Dad did it and damaged his kidneys. :( He was on it for months though....:rolleyes:

Good luck Hun!! :)

Heya Mikster, better late than never, but good luck with the new diet. I hope it works for you. Personally if I was you..Id go with the NHE as you did have great sucess with it before eh. You honestly dont have far at all to go with dieting really! :)
anyways Congrads on the dead PR!!! :clap: :flex: Hope your strength stays up while dieting! :)

I just had an epiphany after seeing Jen's beautiful face after so long. Look for a post in the training forum.

greekblondechic: LOL, well, somewhat hard to stick to. :D

X Ring: I am going to run the first week 5mg 2x per day, the 2nd week 5mg 3x per day, and then the 3rd week 5mg 4x per day. If I do a 4th week, which I am currently trying to decide, I will probably run 5mg 5x per day depending on how well I tolerate it. We'll see what happens.

Monolith: No more breaded chicken for me. Kinda' sucks, lol. Yeah I came pretty damn close to 365 I think. So hopefully next time around it won't be a problem. Thanks for the post.

SF: Yeah I know what you're saying man. I am not sure that I should have tried testing my 1RM or not today. I felt great, but obviously I was not ready. I guess I should have waited and consulted with you before testing for a 1RM huh? :)

Okay so my next bench day you're recommending that I start off the workout with high/low lockouts? And then moving onto all triceps accessory work? Ouch my triceps are going to be screaming, lol. Sounds good though man, I will definitely be doing that. What do you think about me starting off with regular suspended bench (bar touching chest) to a 1RM first, and then high/low with lockouts? I havn't done suspended bench in forever and would like to see what I can press from the bottom position.

BTW, how did my progression look? Did 135 and 185 for 3, and then 215 for a double, then increasing 30 lbs. did singles up to 365. Look okay?

Cyndi: Hey there, thanks for stopping by. Well, ketosis is somewhat controversial IMO. I mean I have read a lot of information saying that when you're releasing ketones in your blood it's ideal because you're burning fat instead of carbs. But the opposing argument is that you're also burning lean tissue at the same time. With the regular refeeds that I will be doing on NHE I don't think it will be much of a problem at all. Thanks again for stopping by, appreciate it, and the new avatar is distracting, as usual. ;)

Jen: Hey, welcome back! Nice to see you posting here in my journal. I really hope that my strength stays up while dieting as well, we'll see what happens. Funny you say that about NHE, because I actually decided to go with NHE again. It worked better for me than any diet ever has, and fit perfectly because I could pig out twice a week (which we all know I love to do). Overload my system 2 days a week with tons and tons of carbs.

IML Gear Cream!
1. Your progression looked fine.
2. No don't do anything but start with the lockout work.
3. Greeky's new avatar is proof that she's absolutely gorgeous.

Now then, your damn diet. :)

Your CNS can't burn fat. Keep that in mind as you burn all the carbs away. Your're robbing your CNS of the only fuel it is able to burn.

When you do your refeeds twice a week, do you do an all day refeed? And do you watch what carbs your taking in like clean carbs as opposed to bread, bagels, pasta etc... or do you just eat what you want?

SF: Okay man, I think I understand what you're saying about my CNS and fat burning. We'll see what happens. I am going to be having very very high-carb refeed meals approximately 2x per week. So I am sure that's going to help keep my muscle glycogen somewhat refilled. Obviously not as filled as a regular high-carb diet but I think it will be much more beneficial than an all the time low-carb diet. And I'll definitely do the high/low with lockouts on my next bench day.

rock: When I do my refeeds twice a week I do not do an all day refeed. Its basically just a few hours (usually 3-4) where I pig out on tons of low-fat, high-carb foods. It's always a lot of fun because I eat a ton of kid's cereal, skim milk, Healthy Choice ice-cream, etc. Just really take in as many carbs as I can tolerate, honestly.

Interesting. Maybe I'll have to give that a try. I've always done Carb cycling, but I want to save that for competition next May.

rock: Yeah man, a great diet. Check the link that I posted in the 1st post of this journal. It's really a great diet IMO. I have had great success with it in the past as well. :thumb:

Day 4
6-12-2004​

Lower Body 2

Suspended Squats: (deep)
135x3, 225x2, 275x1, 315x1, 365x1, 405x1, 435x1!

Leg Presses:
1020x4, 1020x4, 1020x4, 1020x4, 1020x4, 1020x4

Nautilus Lying Leg Curls:
180x8, 180x8, 180x8

Parallel-Grip Cable Rows:
290x6, 290x6, 290x6, 290x6

Nautilus Pullovers:
240x12, 240x12

Crossbody Hammer Curls:
70x8, 90x6!

Really good workout today, intenstiy was friggin' great, focus was right on, overall workout was absolutely awesome. Started off today with suspended squats, did them today a few inches deeper than I did last time. Only got 435 out of the hole, not bad at all IMO. 435 felt strong too I might add. Very slow coming up, but no pain, and my technique felt good. Moved onto some heavy leg presses, 6 sets of 4. Really beat the hell out of my quads, not too bad at all. Really exhausting sets today to be completely honest.

Hit some leg curls, and some seated rows with the entire stack. Not too bad at all IMO. The seated rows really hit my mid-traps hard, too. Moved onto some pullovers, 2 sets of 12, and the some very intense hammers. My last set set with the 90's of crossbody hammer curls was BALLS TO THE WALL. Really went crazy during this set. Beat the sh*t outta' my arms.

Diet:
- whey protein + heavy whipping cream
- ham & cheese omlette, 2 sausage links
- garden salad + Ranch dressing
- fried steak + cheese + mayo
- grilled chicken ceasar salad
- low-carb ice-cream
- 2 hot dogs + cheese

Diet was okay today. I am really started to get used to this low-carb way of eating and it's honestly not bad at all. Hot dogs, eggs, sausage, etc. Makes it so easy to stick to. Now I remember why I enjoyed this diet so much before.

Sleep: 6 hours. :rolleyes:

Weight: 224 lbs. Weight has been dropping steadily, probably just water weight. I am not concerned at all.

Today is my first day of M1T at 15mg. I am going to be keeping this dosage for a week.

Last edited:
Hi Mike. Good looking program. I realize it's a modified Westside but I'm curious, why did you omit speed work with bench press? I've done a couple of Westside type workouts, and so far I'm impressed. A nice change of pace.

GRIFF: Thanks for the support man. Keep in mind that those are not standard DB hammer curls, they're crossbody, so I can use a bit more weight. I take each DB to the opposite pec. For example when I curl up with my left hand I take my left hand to my right pec, with my palm facing my body. Make sense?

JerseyDevil: I am honestly not sure why, I think just because speed bench isn't effective, but I am not 100% positive. Most people who have done Westside for an extended period of time feel that speed deadlifts are worth it, and even speed squats, but speed bench is just a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back