Questions

Thread: Questions

Rep Points

Unhappy Questions

Hello

Getting frustrated Around a month and a half ago I started dieting/excercising again to lose some pounds and improve my image. I was then around 158 (5'7" male) and now am at 148, so scale wise everything is good. But the areas I wanted to get rid of, the fat on the sides of my chest and stomach, well still looks the same

I dieted last year to do the same thing and got the same results, less weight on the scale and less mass overall but still had those fat areas. Last time I didn't watch my ratios though and went mostly carbs (not alot of protein), this time I'm doing a 40/40/20 split and doing weights as well. I'm taking in 1600 calories with 1 cheat day a week that doesn't go over 2000 cals

My plan was to try and lose the fat a better way this time then start eating more and try to gain some good muscle mass, but so far I'm still having those trouble areas. Should I keep going with this diet? If so, how far- 145lbs? 140lbs? I don't know if I maybe just have to keep sticking with my plan to see those areas go away or start eating more and bulk. Or am I just doing somethign wrong? I'm really lost

Rep Points

Congrats on the 10lbs! I weigh 150lbs at 5'10" and have to eat at least 2600 just to keep my weight. I definately don't think, as I'm sure many will agree, that you're not eating enough. I would slowly increase the cals each day until you get to somewhere around in the lower 2000's. I can't tell you exactly where because everybody is different, but I definately think it would be beneficial.

Rep Points

So I should start moving towards bulking now then? I can do that but I'm just concerened about the fat I still have. If I increase my calories to say 2200 or something so it will go with my weight lifting would that be more effective than just the calorie deficit I'm donig now?

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

how much bf do you have ?
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

I don't have calipers but what I've gleaned from sites is 18-20% (they asked things like circumfrence of abdomen, neck, etc., I'm not sure how accurate the results all are though)

Ms. Olympia

Rep Points

Wait, why would you want to bulk now?

bring it!

Rep Points

if your "cheat day" was around only 2000cals a day then its a no wonder fat loss has slowed.. your going pretty low cal for your bodyweight.. and not refeeding with enough calories. this can slow fatloss for sure.
    with your current bodyfat% I would not suggest bulking.
    it also could be your food selections that need slight tweaking.
    " To dream anything you want to dream: That is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything you want to do: That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits: that is the courage to succeed."

Rep Points

Right now I'm taking in lean chicken and turkey mostly, fish once in awhile. For carbs it's WW bread without the fructose, brown rice and oatmeal mainly. Once in awhile I get Subway as well if I'm on the road

Should I keep trying to go down on the scale then with my current plan and add a few hundred more cals? I'm confused though on that, if I upp'd my cals I'd see better results? I can skip the cheat day and limit it to a cheat meal if that's what's really hurting me as well. I'm just getting so fed up with not getting rid of this fat and not knowing what to do about it

Ms. Olympia

Rep Points

Again, why would you up your cals if you're trying to lose bf? Why don't you concentrate on using the cals you eat now productively ie. replace some carbs with protein...

Rep Points

Ok, so stick with 1600 cals and change the 40/40/20 thing towards more protein. I can try that

Ms. Olympia

Rep Points

Isn't 1600 not enough for a "growing boy"?40 -40 -20 is good though

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pooloo
    So I should start moving towards bulking now then? I can do that but I'm just concerened about the fat I still have. If I increase my calories to say 2200 or something so it will go with my weight lifting would that be more effective than just the calorie deficit I'm donig now?
    I would start back at 2000 cals for several weeks then start to drop very slowly. I would put the majority of my efforts into eating the cleanest foods possible. which means 80-90% of your foods should be perishable or coming out of the refrigerator...
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

Ok I will try that. I'm 22 I forgot to mention, if that has any bearing on it all

I read it someplace.

Rep Points

Question: what does your workout schedule look like, as far as lifting and cardio? I agree with the others, it does seem as though you're not eating much. Do you have a history of dieting (possibly hard?) and regaining weight, by any chance, despite your tender age?

Rep Points

What I'm doing now is HIIT cardio 3 days a week with weights on the alternative days; my rest day is on Saturday

Last year I did diet mainly by using cardio and around 1600-1700 cals a day, I went from 165 to 140 (I still had the fat areas and was not happy). I went back up to about 158'ish about 6 months later but I did not even take in that much, I upp'd my cals back to 2000 and ate moderatley clean during those months