NapsGear.net

Would you hire a PT that smokes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Would you hire a PT that smokes?

I wouldn't. How can I take motivation and health advice from someone who is addicted to one of the worst habits you can have? If the trainer can't keep himself healthy, why would I want to take his advice?

One of the trainers in my gym is obviously a smoker. He comes into the gym stinking of cigarettes. Nothing like getting a strong whiff of that as I'm trying to squeeze out those last two shoulder presses.

I'm not trying to start a debate on smoking vs lifting because it's been done to death here.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I would not.
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

training to be Goku

Rep Points

hmm, i Know its not Graham, it isnt that guy with the shaved head is it?

I am suprised Powerhouse would hire someone like that. ALthough they may not have known it at the time when hiring him. Also Paul is so amazingly anal about cleaning and having everything nice and neat I am suprised he would keep him on staff unless he is really great

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by X Ring
    hmm, i Know its not Graham, it isnt that guy with the shaved head is it?
    It's that older guy with the moustache...he had his arm in a sling for a while. I think he used to compete. He's there every morning.

Rep Points

i recently quit smoking (actually it's been 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours and 58 minutes ...i have a little counter on my computer)

i competed once before i started smoking. i still remember how totally shocked i was to see more than a few competitiors (both men and women) smoking at the show.

personally if i were to hire a trainer it would be for his/her knowledge. if they knew their stuff i probably wouldn't care if they smoked. i could learn just as much from them whether they quit smoking or kept smoking.

BUT if i owned a gym i wouldn't hire trainers who smoked b/c in my opinion it looks ridiculous and sends the wrong message
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- 14th Dalai Lama

Sancho

Rep Points

Hell no. Smokers should be shuttled off to Europe. Thankfully we are succeeding in running them out of California. I especially like to see them huddled into corners at the airport in those "special" smoking areas. They look like detainees in a drunk tank.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

No way! I wouldnt trust my health to someone who didnt take care of his/hers.
    But when you disarm them, you at once offend them by showing that you distrust them, either for cowardice or for want of loyalty, and either of these opinions breeds hatred against you.

-N. Machiavelli

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Var
    No way! I wouldnt trust my health to someone who didnt take care of his/hers.
    ditto.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

I have been trying to quit smoking for a couple of months now; everytime I get stressed I blow it. Any suggestions on helping with this goal I have tried Nicorette, patch and cold turkey. When I start to want a cigarette I have tried running or biking but it seems after a work out I really want a cigarette. I smoke a pack every 3 days and can go days with out them so I am not a big time smoker.
    Tim T

Sancho

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by timt
    I have been trying to quit smoking for a couple of months now; everytime I get stressed I blow it. Any suggestions on helping with this goal I have tried Nicorette, patch and cold turkey. When I start to want a cigarette I have tried running or biking but it seems after a work out I really want a cigarette. I smoke a pack every 3 days and can go days with out them so I am not a big time smoker.
    My grandmother quit cold turkey after smoking for 25 years 2-3 packs a day. If she can do it you can.

Filthy Animal

Rep Points

My father had amazing results quitting with accupuncture therapy. Worth a try.
    But when you disarm them, you at once offend them by showing that you distrust them, either for cowardice or for want of loyalty, and either of these opinions breeds hatred against you.

-N. Machiavelli

Rep Points

i quit cold turkey as well. the thing that helped me was that i had a sinus infection and felt too crappy to smoke. when i got better i didn't start smoking again.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- 14th Dalai Lama

Rep Points

So I will work my way up to 2 packs a day, get a sinus infection and during that get accupuncture. The only reason I do smoke so little is because I have 2 jobs and then exercise taking most of my time. I am out right now and am giving it another go.
    Tim T

Rep Points

No way!

It goes along with other life lessons:
    1. My trainer has to be in better shape than me
    2. A good cook has to be fatter than me.

You do hire for their knowledge but applying that knowledge is also very important. I may be able to describe how to paint a car but unless I have done it all the little tricks still escape me.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I might, if he still knew what he was doing. It is unbeleivably hard to quit smoking. He may have started smoking early before he cared as much about his health, and now it is too late. I understand your point, but I don't care what he does as long as he can do his job. He can be obese, addicted to cigarettes, and lazy, as long as he knows how to train me properly.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I really dont like being around smokers at all.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Any suggestions on helping with this goal I have tried Nicorette, patch and cold turkey.
    whenever you feel like smoking chew a piece of gum, also look at these pics so you can see what you're actually doing to your lungs:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sancho

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    He can be obese, addicted to cigarettes, and lazy, as long as he knows how to train me properly.
    If he can't do it for himself how do you expect him to do it for you?

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    He can be obese, addicted to cigarettes, and lazy, as long as he knows how to train me properly.
    Doesn't really sound like someone that would know how to inspire. A PT needs more than knowledge. He/she needs to know how to motivate and inspire me. An obese smoker just won't cut it.

King of the Dog Freaks
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

There is a really hot trainer at my gym, who I had been drooling over for a few weeks. She's in phenomenal shape and seeing her gave me a jolt in the gym. As I was leaving the gym on Saturday, I saw her smoking outside my local brunch spot and I almost choked (that could have been the smoke.) I need to see it, hear it, feel it to believe it and if I can smell the smoke, it would not work for me!
    Because I'm not on an Atkins Diet nor would I ever do one. I'm a BB not a dieter! - Jodi

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Robert DiMaggio
    whenever you feel like smoking chew a piece of gum, also look at these pics so you can see what you're actually doing to your lungs:
    At quick glance, the pic on the right looks like a vagina.

Rep Points

WOW I'll stay away from them Connecticut women

Tim T

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon
    At quick glance, the pic on the right looks like a vagina.
    hmmm...what vaginas have you been looking at?

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon
    Doesn't really sound like someone that would know how to inspire. A PT needs more than knowledge. He/she needs to know how to motivate and inspire me. An obese smoker just won't cut it.
    My desire to be healthy, active, look good, and get stronger is enough motivation and inspiration for me. All my PT needs is knowledge. As I said, I understand your point, but I could care less.

1RM Videos

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rauschgift
    If he can't do it for himself how do you expect him to do it for you?
    Because it's his job and he knows how to do it. He just chooses not do that for himself.

1RM Videos

TEAM AY

Rep Points

Ok, I smoked for close to 18 years, 1.5 packs a day of Marlboro, then later switched to 'low' tar/nicotine cigs, which all that did was get me closer to 2.5-3 packs a day to get my fix. Quit 12 years ago.

My advice to you? Suck it up, and get serious. Nicotine IS seriously addictive. If you use the patch, that addiction is taken care of. The rest is 'habit'. If you REALLY want to quit you can do it. Stop being such a wuss. In fact if you can go days without them, then you should be able to go cold turkey.

Oh yeah, the trainer. Probably not. But if I really thought he/she knew their shit, I might (but I would constantly harass them to quit smoking).

w00t!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Would you hire a really fat, or skin and bone person for a trainer? Someone who doesn't take care of theirs can't teach me how to take care of mine.

Do as I say, not as I do might have worked for little league soccer ...

My smoking stats are: One year, four months, four weeks, 22 hours, 15 minutes and 46 seconds. 10298 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,853.59. Life saved: 5 weeks, 18 hours, 10 minutes.

It adds up. The stench, the money, feeling better, not waking up gasping for air in the middle of the night. But who's counting.

Rep Points

I have known a couple of people who had some things in common
    1. both loved to smoke
    2. both said they couldnt stop
    3. both had no trouble stopping when they developed cancer
    4. both died
    Think about it you can stop but will you do it now or when its to late?
    Last edited by JJL; 06-17-2004 at 09:09 PM.

EAST COAST BRAT
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Would it shock some of you for the fact that I know quite a few trainers, semi-pro's & pro's that DO smoke especially when drinking... yeah, drinking... smoke? The answer to that immediate question is "yes", because smoking does NOT limit that person's ability or knowledge in the health & fitness field. It may make them look dumb or ridiculous but..... whose perfect?

Think about it. Cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. Quite a few fall into that vice in this competitor's (BB & Fitness) world. But those people DO NOT advertise their addictionss but they do it anyways. Would I hire them? If their knowledge and client success rate is high, then "yes". On the other hand, if they told me that "to lose weight is to start smoking" then, "no".

The End

TEAM AY

Rep Points

Years ago I used to run in 10K and 15K's. You'd be surprised at how many runners, and some of the really good ones, would light up, after the race...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast