• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Rotator Cuff Injury from Bench?

Alaric

Hungry
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've noticed that I've been getting shoulder pain while benching. This was probably due to my old form of not tucking in my elbows, flaring them out a bit, and its finally caught up to me. Now I'm tucking in my elbows, but its a bit too late, and I'm feeling some pain. It started up a couple weeks ago, when I bring the bar down I feel a sharp pain in my right shoulder, is this my rotator cuff that is hurting me? Did I just strain it, or did I actually tear it?

When doing normal everyday activities, my shoulders feel normal. I took a week off the bench to give my shoulder a break, I was going to bench light today, but I felt that sharp sting in my shoulder during warmup and decided to stop. I've done a test where I reach behind my back with my right arm, and try to reach my upper back from below. I'll feel a sharp mild stinging pain in my shoulder, but I can't seem tolocate the exact spot.

Any ideas on what's wrong with my right shoulder, and what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

It is probably your cuff but if it was a decent tear you would sure as hell know it. It hurts like a mofo..I did it once. You might have stressed it a little to much. I guess you could ice it for now and go see a doctor. You may want to check your form and try to isolate your chest rather then working your delts into the picture. Heres a link on proper bench form:
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11158

Some of the more experienced guys will come and chime in here...they know alot about these problems...alot more then me.

I agree, if it were a tear you would be in some serious pain just moving it.

I would stop doing bench press, as well as any other movement that makes it hurt, and start doing rotator cuff exercises.

Thanks for the advice,

Robert - Do you have any examples of rotator cuff exercises that I can do?

Anyone have a photo of the "tucked elbow" vs the "flared elbow."

I have had shoulder pain for seemingly EVER. Maybe that's it. :shrug:

I had a picture but it is now innaccessible through the database and can't seem to find the post. Basically the only way to bring your elbows in, is to BENCH BELOW THE NIPPLE. I go about 2" south and it is the ONLY way I can bench heavy without pain, I cannot use the dead fish technique without my back and shoulders both hating me.

I do one set of rotator work at the end of my delt day with a weight I can easily use for 20 reps, its therapy not hardcore training that you want to do IMO with the rotator.

The movement I do is standing like a scarecrow, bringing the weight up, and down only far enough that it remains comfortable. If it hurts, dont go that far. If you only end up using 5 or 10 pounds big deal, its not a big lift type movement.

I have links in my sig on proper form, it just takes practice. I still feel like I am perfecting my form after over a year and a half but I had most of it down with one week practice with 135 pounds.

http://familydoctor.org/265.xml
^^^^^cuff exercises

I work my cuff's several times a week, like mudge said a therapy not a hardcore lift. I loosen em up before my lifts every day to keep the pain away and do several more sets at least twice a week. Very light with high reps. Its been working for me and I can now BB bench again without much pain unless my form lacks.

Back